Buddhist Encyclopedia

Organisational work, teaching, Sunday school syllabus, charitable work, outreach, sharing of resources, artwork, etc.
A. Bhikkhu

Buddhist Encyclopedia

Post by A. Bhikkhu » Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:19 am

Dear all,
I am currently trying to find a way to store and organize informations extracted from the Buddhist E, commentaries, later probably also sub-commentaries, into an on- and offline encyclopedia and hope to be able to find some guidance here from technically skilled people or anyone else who may have a suggestion.

I plan to go through all the mentioned material in an as extensive as possible manner (step by step; probably I will die before completion if I do it alone) and to illustrate the meanings of words with soteriological relevance in their unique occurances and in context, so redundancies are left out. For example, the word paṭisañcikkhati is used to refer to consideration or reflection upon the three characteristics but also to the reflection of the household life as being crowed and dusty. Findings of such character I would present collectedly in the form of critical encyclopedia essays or short dictionary entries. Pāli--English and English--Pāli would it overall be.

I tried to find a suitable dictionary software and a way to create an online wiki. I tried much until now but nothing without major shortcomings developed so far. All the wikis from this site: https://socialcompare.com/en/comparison ... g-services are not suitable for example, mainly either because it is not possible to display diacritics or the set-up design is too disorganized. Other options I am not aware of. One dictionary software for PC I could find is in the main very suitable, the mere fact that I cannot edit the text properly for my purposes makes it useless for this task, however (unable to make lists, set the text bold etc. or even set the paragraphs freely). That is the software (freeware) https://software.sil.org/lexiquepro/. Is there perhaps a way to add that feature to this software more or less easily? I myself cannot write code though ...

Something in the style of ven. Varado's glossary could also be helpful: https://pali-glossary.github.io/content/glossary.html (might contact him too.)

Do you have any ideas about how to decently realize the project for on- and offline use? Thank you very much in advance!

Mettā
"One should not consider the faults of others, nor their doing or not doing good or bad deeds. One should consider only whether one has done or not done good or bad deeds." -- The Buddha (Dhp.50)

JamesTheGiant

Re: Buddhist Encyclopedia

Post by JamesTheGiant » Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:45 am

Have you introduced your project to the folks behind SuttaCentral? There are some super-smart-computer-geeks associated with that.
They're so busy so they almost certainly can't help doing the actual work, but they might be able to give useful guidance/strategy/best computer tools/etc.

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Post by retrofuturist » Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:48 am

Greetings,

Also, check out Dhammawiki.

Have a chat with owner David Snyder (known here as DNS) if you're keen to build upon that.

Metta,
Paul. :)
"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"It is natural that one who knows and sees things as they really are is disenchanted and dispassionate." (AN 10.2)

“Truth does not change according to our ability to stomach it.” (Flannery O'Connor)

Volo

Post by Volo » Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:23 am

Greetings, bhante!

I'm not sure how long your dictionary/encyclopedia entries are going to be. But if they are short, there is Pali dictionary app for Android (based on Buddhadatta dictionary), which seems to be easy to edit (just by opening it as archive and edit corresponding text files). I don't know if the software copyright allows to create an alternative dictionary based on it, but since it is a freeware they probably would give permission.

In any case, I would suggest to make something, which can be used as an android app, since imo it would increase the number of potential users. There are so many customary projects based on wiki software, and most of them are dropped and not updated since long. I doubt many people use them to find information. But installing an app is easy. There not many Pali apps, and therefore it's easy to come across (in contrast to web site).

:anjali:

Volo

Post by Volo » Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:46 am

Another option would be to do it in stardict format. It's free and apps are available for many platforms. You would be able to write long or short entries with quite rich formatting (including cross references between entries). Diacritics I guess are also possible. Update would be also easy - just by downloading new files.

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:29 pm

A. Bhikkhu wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:19 am
I tried to find a suitable dictionary software and a way to create an online wiki. I tried much until now but nothing without major shortcomings developed so far. All the wikis from this site: https://socialcompare.com/en/comparison ... g-services are not suitable for example, mainly either because it is not possible to display diacritics or the set-up design is too disorganized.
Dhamma Wiki uses media wiki, which I don't believe is listed on that comparison of wikis link.

I like media wiki, find it very organized. You can make unlimited number of categories and pages and organize it on your home page or other pages.

It's basically the same type of software that wikipedia uses, so it is well-organized and most people are familiar with how to navigate an online encyclopedia that uses media wiki software. Here's their link for setting it up:
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/MediaWiki

A. Bhikkhu

Post by A. Bhikkhu » Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:22 am

I think I tried out Media Wiki but something rendered it unsuitable as far as I remember. Either is was that diacritcs could not be displayed or too much ads ... not sure after all. Registered meanwhile here: https://meta.miraheze.org/wiki/Miraheze (seems to work well).

In any case much thanks for the response!
"One should not consider the faults of others, nor their doing or not doing good or bad deeds. One should consider only whether one has done or not done good or bad deeds." -- The Buddha (Dhp.50)

A. Bhikkhu

Post by A. Bhikkhu » Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:32 am

Volo wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:23 am
Greetings, bhante!

I'm not sure how long your dictionary/encyclopedia entries are going to be. But if they are short, there is Pali dictionary app for Android (based on Buddhadatta dictionary), which seems to be easy to edit (just by opening it as archive and edit corresponding text files). I don't know if the software copyright allows to create an alternative dictionary based on it, but since it is a freeware they probably would give permission.

In any case, I would suggest to make something, which can be used as an android app, since imo it would increase the number of potential users. There are so many customary projects based on wiki software, and most of them are dropped and not updated since long. I doubt many people use them to find information. But installing an app is easy. There not many Pali apps, and therefore it's easy to come across (in contrast to web site).

:anjali:
For long entries this app might not be suitable you think? Yes, I also thought it being best to set the encyclopedia up as an app (next to an online Wiki) but at present it seems I am not able to realize it, by myself anyway certainly not. Perhaps the dictionary app is a good option here, thanks for referencing.

Mettā

A. Bhikkhu

Post by A. Bhikkhu » Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:37 am

JamesTheGiant wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:45 am
Have you introduced your project to the folks behind SuttaCentral? There are some super-smart-computer-geeks associated with that.
They're so busy so they almost certainly can't help doing the actual work, but they might be able to give useful guidance/strategy/best computer tools/etc.
I also got the impression that on DSC are some people who might be able to help or give valuable suggestions due to their being super-smart-computer-geeks. Yes, I posted also there, nothing technical in the replies though ... We'll see ...