OMAD one meal a day, sense restraint Kito- ease?

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
bhante dhamma

OMAD one meal a day, sense restraint Kito- ease?

Post by bhante dhamma » Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:09 am

Hi I recently have been trying to experiment with the Kito diet, Its proving more difficult than i thought, have any of you tried following the ideas of high fat, moderate protein low carbhs? That's essentially the Kito diet

polo

Re: OMAD one meal a day, sense restraint Kito- ease?

Post by polo » Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:46 am

bhante dhamma wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:09 am
Hi I recently have been trying to experiment with the Kito diet, Its proving more difficult than i thought, have any of you tried following the ideas of high fat, moderate protein low carbhs? That's essentially the Kito diet
Hi there, about 3 months ago I started a high fat, moderate protein low carbohydrate diet. I didn't know it's called a Kito diet.
My reason for having a high fat diet is to stop in between meals. It works because I stop having in between meals. But I made one mistake, I also ate quite a lot of meat. And the worst part were the fats from beef . After about 2 months on this diet I develop piles and I have blood in my stool.
In fact at my age (68) I should not eat too much meat and the fat should be moderate, just enough to stop the in between meals.
Now I am reversing the whole thing, I still eat a bit of fat (mainly pork fat) but no meat. Plenty of vegetables and also some fruits.
The blood in my stool is not much, just some blood comes with the stools. But it has continued for more than a month already.
Things get better when I stop eating meat and reduce the fats.
I am worried it would develop into colon cancer.

JamesTheGiant

Post by JamesTheGiant » Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:00 am

bhante dhamma wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:09 am
, have any of you tried following the ideas of high fat, moderate protein low carbhs?
Yes I've eaten the Keto way.
Less than 20g carbs per day, lots of vegetables and healthy fats and protein.
I lost a ton of weight. I was doing it for weight loss, what's your purpose?

It requires close tracking of how much you eat and learning the amounts of carbs, protein, and fat in everything you eat.

My macros were 25g carbs, 145g protein, 132g fat.
That's 1870 kcal per day.

I wasn't ever hungry while losing weight on Keto, although I did crave candy for a while.

bhante dhamma

Post by bhante dhamma » Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:49 am

Hi Polo and James, Polo I'm sorry to hear of your sickness, and gladdened that you managed to lose alot of weight through the kito diet James, i personally kind of just stumbled into it.

oh I just checked, pilies is another term for hemmorids https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/239454.php
Funnily enough I also noticed mild constipation die to higher meat eating, thinking back I have had that issue before I started keto but was vegetarian for a while so completely forgot about it, there's keto vegetarian also as a pont in case. I came across keto by accident when looking into a health issue called GERD, I was trying to resolve it by taking more potassium but then cut carbhs and it went away! But I'm not sure how they're related as most health experts say GERD is a potassium mineral deficiency.

When i starting cutting back on carbhals I noticed straight away the absence of dukkha vedana/unpleasant feeling in the afternoon, sth i guess I always just thought was normal especially in the TFT Thai forest tradition where it's all about Khanti endurance. But as a monk it's difficult to keep as everything has sugar, have no way of testing whether I'm in ketosis other than general markers like no hunger which I think both of you have have experienced. At the beginning of vassa I was going no sugar at all and also doing prolonged fasting but still it didn't seem to be working as there would always be lingering feelings after the meal, we eat once, where as in the past it was OMAD one meal a day and no feelings, so now I'm not sure if it's even ketosis but I still count carbhs as much as possible around 50, if I have a bit of sugar it seems to help.

I hear some say that you should mix your regime/diet up so as to keep a flexible metabolism, but the good thing about keto im terms of monastic life is if you nail it in terms of the ratio 70/20/10 for fat protein carbhs, then in the evening you feel almost nothing, hence OMAD becomes a natural phenomena rather than sth you due under duress.

Oh btw How is lay life treating you James? re you enjoying it? I hope everything is going well for you as an upasaka

Polo I was thinking and also reading about autophagy as a natural mechanism for the body to self heal, maybe look into it, it may help with your condition...

salayatananirodha

Post by salayatananirodha » Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:17 pm

eating blamelessly > dieting
16. 'In what has the world originated?' — so said the Yakkha Hemavata, — 'with what is the world intimate? by what is the world afflicted, after having grasped at what?' (167)

17. 'In six the world has originated, O Hemavata,' — so said Bhagavat, — 'with six it is intimate, by six the world is afflicted, after having grasped at six.' (168)

- Hemavatasutta

links:
https://www.ancient-buddhist-texts.net/index.htm
http://thaiforestwisdom.org/canonical-texts/
http://seeingthroughthenet.net/wp-conte ... _Heart.pdf
https://www.dhammatalks.org/index.html