Volunteer work-assist disabled people

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
polo

Volunteer work-assist disabled people

Post by polo » Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:47 am

I am not sure this is the right place to put this notice. I have about 2 months free time to assist disabled people.
1. If you are in Thailand ok. Other countries may be a problem due to air-fares etc.,
2. You need to pay for the train fare for me to travel to Thailand (from Malaysia)
3. Food and room to be provided. Simple foods -e.g. Local Thai foods ok. Reasonable clean accommodation with air-condition.
4. No payment for the free volunteer service.
5. To whatsupp and discuss in details the services required.
6. I have no problem with visa application on my own.
7. Unfortunately Male disabled person preferred. If female disabled person services will be restricted to only household works, e.g. cooking, cleaning, shopping, driving. No lifting of body on to bed or to wheel chair. And patient must have third person staying with her during my presence, this is to avoid legal implication of any unethical incidents .
8. I had some experience working in hospital. Can cook foods off the recipe books. Experienced in cooking and baking.

dharmacorps

Re: Volunteer work-assist disabled people

Post by dharmacorps » Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:51 pm

Wonderful of you to offer such needed generous and selfless services. As I understand it, disabled people do often need assistance getting around in Thailand (I am disabled and have looked at it a bit). So this is a great thing to offer. :anjali: :thumbsup:

polo

Re: Volunteer work-assist disabled people

Post by polo » Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:41 am

dharmacorps wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:51 pm
Wonderful of you to offer such needed generous and selfless services. As I understand it, disabled people do often need assistance getting around in Thailand (I am disabled and have looked at it a bit). So this is a great thing to offer. :anjali: :thumbsup:
Good to hear from you. I had offered this volunteer work in other forum once in 2009. I was helping an elderly man who had anxiety attack and also recovered from some mental health problems (which was not clearly explained to me). He was on medication of course. But the time I met him he was doing very well. I didn't have much problem with him .
I got along with him, the problem was with his wife who made things difficult for me. However I put up with her by giving out lots of metta. Endless loving kindness. He told me that before me was another guy who came to help but was put off by his wife that he walked off without even telling them. I thought that was bad. Perhaps being a Buddhist I could see their sufferings more clearly so I was able to take it.
He told me the wife might do him in to take over his share of the property. I just had to keep my mouth shut and just listen because it could trigger off a lot of imaginations and illusions for him if I had said anything at all. I believe my listening had therapeutic effect for him, somebody to listen to his misery. It was my first experience of seeing someone having anxiety attack when I accompanied him on a train. It was real suffering to be in such mental state.
In spite of our advance in many aspects of technology and medical science we don't seem to be able to do much for many mental problems.
Metta.