Keeping muscles strong?

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
Yttrium

Keeping muscles strong?

Post by Yttrium »

I spent a few weeks meditating. Afterwards my legs were so weak. It took some weeks to get the strength back again. The general strength was reduced, too. That is not an overwhelming surprise. But what do you or what would you do, to avoid this?
SarathW

Re: Keeping muscles strong?

Post by SarathW »

It is important to practice walking meditation to combine with sitting practice.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Yttrium

Post by Yttrium »

That's what I did.
santa100

Post by santa100 »

Try running or jogging outdoor for 45-60 minutes, at least 2-3 times a week, and you'll regain your legs in a few weeks.
Slowlearner5

Post by Slowlearner5 »

Buddhist monks can walk long distances, but a monk did mention to me he doesn't jog because he's a monk. I didn't understand the reason for that rule, if it a rule?? :thanks:
Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando »

Slowlearner5 wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:16 am Buddhist monks can walk long distances, but a monk did mention to me he doesn't jog because he's a monk. I didn't understand the reason for that rule, if it a rule??
Jogging down the high street wouldn't be in line with the restrained behaviour in public places enjoined by the sekhiya rules. On the other hand, since it wouldn't be any offence to do so on monastery grounds, presumably the monk means that it's not a customary thing for monks to do and would likely attract criticism.
“Keep to your own pastures, bhikkhus, walk in the haunts where your fathers roamed.
If ye thus walk in them, Māra will find no lodgement, Māra will find no foothold.”
— Cakkavattisīhanāda Sutta
rhinoceroshorn

Post by rhinoceroshorn »

Dhammanando wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:37 am
Slowlearner5 wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:16 am Buddhist monks can walk long distances, but a monk did mention to me he doesn't jog because he's a monk. I didn't understand the reason for that rule, if it a rule??
Jogging down the high street wouldn't be in line with the restrained behaviour in public places enjoined by the sekhiya rules. On the other hand, since it wouldn't be any offence to do so on monastery grounds, presumably the monk means that it's not a customary thing for monks to do and would likely attract criticism.
Is yoga acceptable?
If it were not for yoga I would never be able to meditate for more than 1 hour without feeling numbness and pain.
Not neglecting seclusion, absorption,
constantly living the Dhamma
in line with the Dhamma,
comprehending the danger
in states of becoming,
wander alone
like a rhinoceros.
SN 1.3
Lust is a maker of nimittas, hate is a maker of nimittas, delusion is a maker of nimittas.
Rāgo kho, āvuso, nimittakaraṇo, doso nimittakaraṇo, moho nimittakaraṇo. (MN 43, SN 41.7)
Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando »

rhinoceroshorn wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:45 am Is yoga acceptable?
Nobody would object if a monk practised yoga in the privacy of his own room, but in some monasteries it wouldn't be acceptable to do it in public view.

Even jogging is allowed in certain monasteries. I don't know if they still do, but in the 1980s some of the Chithurst monks used to go jogging in the nearby woods, including the then abbot, Ajahn Sumedho.
“Keep to your own pastures, bhikkhus, walk in the haunts where your fathers roamed.
If ye thus walk in them, Māra will find no lodgement, Māra will find no foothold.”
— Cakkavattisīhanāda Sutta
rhinoceroshorn

Post by rhinoceroshorn »

Dhammanando wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:09 am
rhinoceroshorn wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:45 am Is yoga acceptable?
Nobody would object if a monk practised yoga in the privacy of his own room, but in some monasteries it wouldn't be acceptable to do it in public view.

Even jogging is allowed in certain monasteries. I don't know if they still do, but in the 1980s some of the Chithurst monks used to go jogging in the nearby woods, including the then abbot, Ajahn Sumedho.
Thanks Bhante.
This body of ours is a burden. If we don't move it it gets stiff and unhealthy, which hinders the practice. :(
Not neglecting seclusion, absorption,
constantly living the Dhamma
in line with the Dhamma,
comprehending the danger
in states of becoming,
wander alone
like a rhinoceros.
SN 1.3
Lust is a maker of nimittas, hate is a maker of nimittas, delusion is a maker of nimittas.
Rāgo kho, āvuso, nimittakaraṇo, doso nimittakaraṇo, moho nimittakaraṇo. (MN 43, SN 41.7)
Slowlearner5

Post by Slowlearner5 »

Dhammanando wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:37 am
I see. I wondered though if the energetic upheaval and distraction by the jogging act would break any continuity in daily mindfulness, therefore it's not the direct path for a serious monk who may only have 50000 days to live, but maybe that's my imagination.
Anyway just thought of a Japanese marathoner inspired by zen marathon monks if it holds any learning, and how it attracted one of the first Kenyan star marathoners which I'm sure inspired their athletes, I found this

http://moti-athletics-histo.blogspot.co ... s.html?m=1
Slowlearner5

Post by Slowlearner5 »

Personally I think travelling long distances by foot has benefits for aspirants such as physical purification, and for me developing concentration. And you do hear of famous monks travelling town to town by foot so I think this aspect is little understood and possibly missed. I walked a week of the Camina walk in Spain, and the pain involved say after 3 hours left me with no free energy for thinking, thus focussing on the steps, the body, the obvious breath, the sights smells, and there were internal pleasant objects, opening refreshing calming objects too. Perhaps an intensive for concentration. That led me back to more jogging and returning to meditation for the new body awareness opening up and the concentration. Just saying in case it's helpful.
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

Yttrium wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:50 am I spent a few weeks meditating. Afterwards my legs were so weak. It took some weeks to get the strength back again. The general strength was reduced, too. That is not an overwhelming surprise. But what do you or what would you do, to avoid this?
Join a gym and do resistance training.
“Accomplished in the four right efforts,
mindfulness meditation is your territory;
adorned with the flowers of liberation,
you’ll realize quenching without defilements.”

Devasabhattheragāthā
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

I've read about Ajahn Sumedho using a rowing machine very regularly - I'd be impressed if he still does at his age! I've seen the treadmill in Ajahn Pasanno's "office" and I vaguely recall him talking about using it. Those are two examples of monks of many vassas "working out."

The Buddha himself said that walking meditation is good for fitness.
AN 5.29 wrote:Monks, there are these five benefits of walking up & down.[1] What five?

One is fit for long journeys; one is fit for striving; one has little disease; that which is eaten, drunk, chewed, tasted, goes through proper digestion; the composure attained by walking up & down is long-lasting.

These, monks, are the five benefits of walking up & down.
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
salayatananirodha

Post by salayatananirodha »

16. 'In what has the world originated?' — so said the Yakkha Hemavata, — 'with what is the world intimate? by what is the world afflicted, after having grasped at what?' (167)

17. 'In six the world has originated, O Hemavata,' — so said Bhagavat, — 'with six it is intimate, by six the world is afflicted, after having grasped at six.' (168)

- Hemavatasutta

links:
https://www.ancient-buddhist-texts.net/index.htm
http://thaiforestwisdom.org/canonical-texts/
http://seeingthroughthenet.net/wp-conte ... _Heart.pdf
https://www.dhammatalks.org/index.html
taha166

Post by taha166 »

I faced the same thing but gradually the pain passed away as progressed day after day.