any recommendations on a low bed?

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
salayatananirodha

any recommendations on a low bed?

Post by salayatananirodha » Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:38 am

i have been wanting to keep the spirit of the eighth precept for quite a while, even tho by letter i'm not sure my bed is against it. i've measured my bed + box spring and it's either about 14 or 16 inches, i forget which
it's quite lumpy now, queen size, used to be really comfortable and sturdy but i gained a bunch of weight (which i have since lost)
i want to be low to the ground but also not quite on the ground; there will be little grey bugs or other assorted bugs around the window area and i just want to try to avoid any bugs coming to bed with me
i've looked at platform beds or japanese futon but idk
and i went on a shopping trip a while back and figured i would get a bed but never felt i found 'the one'
i want rid of my current bed pretty bad, it takes up majority of my room and i end up not having anywhere else and not having a proper desk
purchasing a bed is such an apparently high risk move, i was fortunate to have this bed for a few years
i should also mention i have a double spinal fusion, and so in my opinion the floor is simply not tenable. it's definitely not the humility aspect of this precept i have trouble with (hopefully not), it's just practicability, durability, financial uncertainty, and what ever
i thought about a couch-like futon too but i thought it might get too hot
my problem might also be having had a lower price range (<$200) and maybe now that i am doing better i can try something more expensive
if you ever read reviews of beds online they get really bad
16. 'In what has the world originated?' — so said the Yakkha Hemavata, — 'with what is the world intimate? by what is the world afflicted, after having grasped at what?' (167)

17. 'In six the world has originated, O Hemavata,' — so said Bhagavat, — 'with six it is intimate, by six the world is afflicted, after having grasped at six.' (168)

- Hemavatasutta

links:
https://www.ancient-buddhist-texts.net/index.htm
http://thaiforestwisdom.org/canonical-texts/
http://seeingthroughthenet.net/wp-conte ... _Heart.pdf
https://www.dhammatalks.org/index.html

sunnat

Re: any recommendations on a low bed?

Post by sunnat » Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:41 am

Firstly. Low in this context doesn't mean close to the ground or low down. It's more like lowly as opposed to luxurious. You can have (high) a luxurious mattress on the floor in the basement or (low) a lowly pallet hanging from the rafters in the attic, a meter off the floor.

What works for me is a thick yoga mat I bought at Clark's Rubber for about 50 bucks.
I have that on a bed frame (slats) where I've cut the footend legs off a couple of inches to mimic the type of inclined bed used in ancient Egypt. My recurring back problem is gone and sleep is good and restful and meditation strong.

pitakele

Post by pitakele » Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:36 am

If you have back issues, a firm bed is very important. A few years ago, I experienced excruciating sciatic pain resulting from slipped lower discs. This was exacerbated by sleeping on an uneven mattress. When I exchanged this for a very firm futon type mattress on the floor, the sciatica dissipated. I still take care not to sleep on uneven or soft mattresses.

I would suggest getting a new good quality futon type mattress. To reduce costs, perhaps you can look around for a second hand wooden bed frame, and If it is too high, saw the legs off.
now here = nowhere

Idappaccayata

Post by Idappaccayata » Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:37 am

Therm-a-Rest NeoAir Venture Lightweight Camping Air Mattress, Medium - 20 x 66 Inches https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MSOURN9/re ... nDbB3590JC

I use this for camping.
A dying man can only rely upon his wisdom, if he developed it. Wisdom is not dependent upon any phenomenon originated upon six senses. It is developed on the basis of the discernment of the same. That’s why when one’s senses start to wither and die, the knowledge of their nature remains unaffected. When there is no wisdom, there will be despair, in the face of death.

- Ajahn Nyanamoli Thero

Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara » Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:54 am

sunnat wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:41 am
Firstly. Low in this context doesn't mean close to the ground or low down. It's more like lowly as opposed to luxurious. ...
Yes.
... I have that on a bed frame (slats) where I've cut the footend legs off a couple of inches to mimic the type of inclined bed used in ancient Egypt. My recurring back problem is gone and sleep is good and restful and meditation strong.
My father had back problems and created the same effect (on his doctor's advice) by putting the head-end legs on a couple of thick planks - something I had completely forgotten until I read your post. :smile:

I slept on a camping mattress on carpeted floor for about a year, a very long time ago, because I had found it comfortable when doing a lot of camping. Then an inner-spring mattress on the floor - fine except that you can get a build-up of moisture in some climates and house construction styles, leading to mould-mildew-mustiness problems. Raising it just off the ground solves that. Raising it higher gives you storage space under the bed, which could be useful.
A camping mattress or a real futon can both be put away when not in use - another way of getting extra space in a small living area, and it solves the moisture problem.

:juggling:
Kim

pitakele

Post by pitakele » Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:43 pm

Possibly less expensive than futons, are firm dense foam rubber mattresses which are also back friendly.
now here = nowhere

sunnat

Post by sunnat » Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:49 am

A couple of other things I find helpful. Bedding : instead of smooth linen, a coarse blanket to lie on and another for on top. These can be got cheap at op shops. I've found no pillow that matches the features of a feather pillow. They cost more than synthetic ones but are worth it. Good, stable, easily configurable neck support. And a warm beanie and hot water bottle for winter. A quiet fan to blow away mozzies that penetrate the mosquito net in summer.