Veganism: a host of issues.

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
budo
Posts: 1752
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:16 am

Re: Veganism: a host of issues.

Post by budo » Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:12 pm

seeker242 wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:10 pm
budo wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:31 pm
seeker242 wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:24 pm


Fortunately, there is absolutely nothing wrong with a layperson choosing to eat a plant based diet. And Fortunately, the barbaric practices of modern day animal agriculture, that exist today, didn't exist during the Buddha's time.
Fortunately, one does not have to buy factory farmed meat to eat meat :)
Fortunately, one does not have to buy any kind.
Unless they have very good reason to, such as their health.

User avatar
seeker242
Posts: 927
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:01 am

Re: Veganism: a host of issues.

Post by seeker242 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:21 pm

budo wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:12 pm
seeker242 wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:10 pm
budo wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:31 pm


Fortunately, one does not have to buy factory farmed meat to eat meat :)
Fortunately, one does not have to buy any kind.
Unless they have very good reason to, such as their health.
And when health is fine without it, which it is for millions of people, it's fine.

budo
Posts: 1752
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:16 am

Re: Veganism: a host of issues.

Post by budo » Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:22 pm

seeker242 wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:21 pm
budo wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:12 pm
seeker242 wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:10 pm


Fortunately, one does not have to buy any kind.
Unless they have very good reason to, such as their health.
And when health is fine without it, which it is for millions of people, it's fine.
As you say: "Nonsense" :)

User avatar
seeker242
Posts: 927
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:01 am

Re: Veganism: a host of issues.

Post by seeker242 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:26 pm

budo wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:22 pm
seeker242 wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:21 pm
budo wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:12 pm


Unless they have very good reason to, such as their health.
And when health is fine without it, which it is for millions of people, it's fine.
As you say: "Nonsense" :)
And the largest organization of nutrition professionals in the world disagrees with that assessment. Not a coincidence. :D

budo
Posts: 1752
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:16 am

Re: Veganism: a host of issues.

Post by budo » Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:27 pm

Dr Natasha Campbell on treating many sick vegans:


budo
Posts: 1752
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:16 am

Re: Veganism: a host of issues.

Post by budo » Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:29 pm

Low Cholesterol is dangerous, veganism is dangerous


User avatar
seeker242
Posts: 927
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:01 am

Re: Veganism: a host of issues.

Post by seeker242 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:34 pm

Dr. Michael Klaper on the healthfulness of a vegan diet.


User avatar
seeker242
Posts: 927
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:01 am

Re: Veganism: a host of issues.

Post by seeker242 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:38 pm

Dr. Garth Davis on how veganism is not dangerous.


budo
Posts: 1752
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:16 am

Re: Veganism: a host of issues.

Post by budo » Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:42 pm

From Mayo Clinic



See, most of these nutrients are animal sources, so even vegans supplementing are still consuming animal foods. Thus they are "Supplmentarians" not Vegans.

Even the NHS said Omega 3 from plants doesn't have the same benefits as Fish omega 3.

So at the end of the day, either you're a dying vegan, or you're an Animal Supplementarian like seeker242 and Sam Vega

User avatar
seeker242
Posts: 927
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:01 am

Re: Veganism: a host of issues.

Post by seeker242 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:49 pm

Dr. Ellsworth Wareham on the healthfulness of a vegan diet


budo
Posts: 1752
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:16 am

Re: Veganism: a host of issues.

Post by budo » Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:50 pm

Seeker242, are all your supplements 100% derived from plants? Is your b12 derived from animals or plants? What about the other 6 nutrients?

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/7- ... rom-plants

Are you an animal supplementarian or a dying vegan?

budo
Posts: 1752
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:16 am

Re: Veganism: a host of issues.

Post by budo » Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:55 pm

Fake Vegans are Animal Supplementarians, and Real Vegans are dying. Taking an animal product in pill form doesn't make you a vegan.
While seaweed, algae, and certain mushrooms all contain vitamin B-12, they are not reliable sources because they do not act the same way in the human body. Studies have found that consuming these foods does not significantly increase a person's vitamin B-12 levels and can still lead to a deficiency.

A vegetarian should be sure to consume enough of the following foods on a regular basis. It is vital to understand how much vitamin B-12 these foods contain:
https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/320524.php
Evidence suggests that vegetarian sources of omega-3 fatty acids may not have the same benefits for reducing the risk of heart disease as those in oily fish.
https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/pregnancy ... -children/

User avatar
seeker242
Posts: 927
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:01 am

Re: Veganism: a host of issues.

Post by seeker242 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:59 pm

Dr. Joel Kahn on the benefits of a vegan diet.


User avatar
seeker242
Posts: 927
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:01 am

Re: Veganism: a host of issues.

Post by seeker242 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:01 pm

6 Science-Based Health Benefits of Eating Vegan

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/ve ... t-benefits

User avatar
Sam Vara
Posts: 5685
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:42 pm
Location: Sussex, U.K.

Re: Veganism: a host of issues.

Post by Sam Vara » Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:29 pm

budo wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:55 pm
Fake Vegans are Animal Supplementarians, and Real Vegans are dying. Taking an animal product in pill form doesn't make you a vegan.
What's a "fake vegan"? I would have thought that animal products would be listed in the ingredients for supplements, and they would be the ones vegans avoid. Lots of capsules used to be made from gelatine, for example, but here in the UK they couldn't be marketed as vegan.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Alīno and 34 guests