Is it ok to eat quite a lot of beef fat?

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
polo

Is it ok to eat quite a lot of beef fat?

Post by polo » Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:10 pm

Hi members of this forum, is beef fat bad for your health? Other than the cholesterol in the beef fat what else is bad?
I think if you consume a lot of beef fat but not doing any work or exercise then it would be bad for you. But if you walk a lot and do a lot of work it will not be bad for your health. Please , I hope I am right because lately I have been eating quite a bit of beef fat.
I intend to use beef fat in my pie pastry because butter is expensive . The old style British Beef pie or Chicken pie or Kidney pie use beef fat in their pastry crust don't they? They taste really good.
I hope to hear from someone who has good knowledge of this beef fat.
I remember reading somewhere that beef fat or pork fat has long chain fat molecule that doesn't line up your artery so it is ok, but the trans fatty acid in margarine will line up your artery with their short chain molecule.
I could be wrong.

Dinsdale

Re: Is it ok to eat quite a lot of beef fat?

Post by Dinsdale » Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:17 pm

Do you know what your cholesterol reading is? Blood pressure? And what about your family history/genetic predisposition to cardiovascular problems?
Buddha save me from new-agers!

Justsit

Post by Justsit » Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:49 pm

Beef fat contains a whopping 1849 calories/cup (208g), so it will take a large amount of very vigorous exercise to use that up.
A balanced diet contains 20–35% of total calories from fats.
Depending on your bodysize/ type, a brisk walk uses roughly 200 calories in 40 minutes.

Here's some data on calorie use by work activity. There are links there to check amounts for sports/exercise activities. https://www.nutristrategy.com/caloriesburnedwork.htm

polo

Post by polo » Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:28 pm

Dinsdale wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:17 pm
Do you know what your cholesterol reading is? Blood pressure? And what about your family history/genetic predisposition to cardiovascular problems?
Very kind of you to give me a reply Dinsdale. About 7 years ago my cholesterol reading was good but i don't know now.
My family- nobody dies from any heart disease or cardiovascular problems.
Blood pressure, a little below the normal blood pressure that's what the doctor told me and he said not worry you may feel giddy when you suddenly stand up from a squatting position he said.
Well, I am going to make beef pie that use very little crust. It means only the top part that cover the small pot will be the crust. The pot is about the size of those Starbuck Americano cafe cup. That will certainly solve the problem of not eating too much beef fat. I have this unwholesome desire to eat beef pies, no amount of Abhidharma learning can help me in this case.
I think this problem all started when I was living in London for about 5 years. Oh, back in the late 70s in London you get really good quality pies. You don't know what you are missing if you had not eaten them. And of course you drink English tea with the inevitable milk. The Yorkshire pudding with roasted beef was exceedingly good.
Life in London in the late 70s was wonderful, really wonderful. The British were ever so polite. I always think the British would make good Buddhists if only they had not been promiscuous.

polo

Post by polo » Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:36 pm

Justsit wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:49 pm
Beef fat contains a whopping 1849 calories/cup (208g), so it will take a large amount of very vigorous exercise to use that up.
Depending on your bodysize/ type, a brisk walk uses roughly 200 calories in 40 minutes.

Here's some data on calorie use by work activity. There are links there to check amounts for sports/exercise activities. https://www.nutristrategy.com/caloriesburnedwork.htm
You said, 1849 calories for one cup (208g) of beef fat. I cannot imagine how much is 208g of beef fat.
I think 208g of fat is a lot of fat. I don't think I could even eat that much in sitting or even one day.
BTW, Elvis Prestly died from overdose of Macdonald beef burger, the last week before he died he locked himself in hotel room and was eating lots and lots of beef burger from Macdonald.

Dinsdale

Post by Dinsdale » Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:36 pm

When I lived in London in the 1980s I developed a strong attachment to donner kebabs and curries. Oh well! 😋
Buddha save me from new-agers!

dharmacorps

Post by dharmacorps » Sat Jun 29, 2019 5:20 pm

This is a very complex question, and asking for advice for something like this on an internet forum is not the best way to answer it. :anjali:

budo

Post by budo » Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:35 pm

Yes. Steffanson Vihiljimur lived with Eskimos for a decade ate nothing but fish and caribou and his health improved. Doctors didn't believe him so they put him in a hospital for one year and only gave him high fat steak, the study was called "The Bellevue Study". His gingevitis and other health issues disappeared

You can read his book "The fat of the land". Also during that time, American soldiers usually ate nothing but pemmican (high fat ground beef) in the field.

He talks about diet in this video at 11:50

seeker242

Post by seeker242 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:24 am

budo wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:35 pm
Yes. Steffanson Vihiljimur lived with Eskimos for a decade ate nothing but fish and caribou and his health improved.
Fish is not beef fat and neither is caribou meat. Fish is fish and caribou meat has much less fat than beef. When you are referring to just the fat in beef, neither fish nor caribou meat are even comparable.

budo

Post by budo » Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:52 am

seeker242 wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:24 am
budo wrote:
Yes. Steffanson Vihiljimur lived with Eskimos for a decade ate nothing but fish and caribou and his health improved.
Fish is not beef fat and neither is caribou meat. Fish is fish and caribou meat has much less fat than beef. When you are referring to just the fat in beef, neither fish nor caribou meat are even comparable.
If you read the rest of my post, then you'd read about the part where I wrote he ate high fat steak every day for a year in the bellevue study, and his health improved.

He also continued eating high fat steak for the rest of his life after retiring from arctic exploration.

Furthermore, the only difference between animal fats is the composition, fish have more polyunsaturated fat, cows and other ruminant animals like caribou have more saturated fat.

The differences are minimal among ruminants.

The amount of fat ruminants have depends on what they eat. Grass fed cattle have less fat than grain fed cattle.

Aloka

Post by Aloka » Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:16 am

polo wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:10 pm
The old style British Beef pie or Chicken pie or Kidney pie use beef fat in their pastry crust don't they? They taste really good.
The pastry of traditional Engish meat pies was made with lard, which is pork fat,or with dripping, which is beef fat.

(I'm vegetarian myself )

seeker242

Post by seeker242 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:10 pm

budo wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:52 am
seeker242 wrote:
budo wrote:
If you read the rest of my post, then you'd read about the part where I wrote he ate high fat steak every day for a year in the bellevue study, and his health improved.

He also continued eating high fat steak for the rest of his life after retiring from arctic exploration.
And then he died of cardiovascular disease, just like many of the Eskimos.

Justsit

Post by Justsit » Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:06 pm

polo wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:36 pm
Justsit wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:49 pm

You said, 1849 calories for one cup (208g) of beef fat. I cannot imagine how much is 208g of beef fat.
I think 208g of fat is a lot of fat. I don't think I could even eat that much in sitting or even one day.
Well, you did ask if is OK to eat "quite a lot" of beef fat. :smile:

polo

Post by polo » Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:12 pm

Aloka wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:16 am
polo wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:10 pm
The old style British Beef pie or Chicken pie or Kidney pie use beef fat in their pastry crust don't they? They taste really good.
The pastry of traditional Engish meat pies was made with lard, which is pork fat,or with dripping, which is beef fat.

(I'm vegetarian myself )
I am a vegetarian when situation requires me to be one for instance no more meat in the freezer.
I am inclined to be a vegetarian when I have constipation or my bowel movement is not regular or the movement is not smooth.
If I become a rich man then I can have time to grow my own vegetable and making my own tou fu I would become a vegetarian.
The society that I live in doesn't care about making good vegetarian foods or ingredients for cooking vegetarian foods. They make only limited kinds of beancurd (tou fu) and even that are not good at all. When I was in Japan I ate good quality tou fu , beautiful looking tou fu. Japanese are good at making tou fu.
I saw a documentary on youtube about making "hairy tou fu" in China. That was interesting. It was quite a long process . And all hand made (or shall I say handcraft). This young chinese lady made tou fu cut them in cube then put them on bamboo mat, covered with thin bamboo mat on top and leave them on open area for mold to grow. After about 5 days the white hairy like mold cover every piece and they look really beautiful. LIke sugar floss candy.
Then she deep fried them and they look so appetizing.
Try google " youtube documentary on making hairy tou fu in China"

budo

Post by budo » Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:37 pm

seeker242 wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:10 pm
budo wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:52 am
seeker242 wrote:

And then he died of cardiovascular disease, just like many of the Eskimos.
He died of a stroke, the official canadian source doesn't mention cardiovascular disease.

Furthermore, he made it to age 82 in the 1960s.. High above the average expectancy at that time, and still high in modern time, especially for men. Japan and Iceland are at the top in 2019 with 83 years old life expectancy.

Lastly, I'm not going to entertain your goal post shifting and thread derailing to disprove your ignorant statement regarding cholestrol and heart health. Go learn the difference between the different types of LDL and artery insulin caused damage and come back when you know better.