Dealing with Depression and Anxiety

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
Virgo

Dealing with Depression and Anxiety

Post by Virgo » Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:37 pm

A video from Ajahn Yuttadhammo about dealing with the topics of Depression and Anxiety:

Kevin...
The Hunger Site

JamesTheGiant

Re: Dealing with Depression and Anxiety

Post by JamesTheGiant » Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:18 am

There are useful things in the video. Useful for those who are just mild-to-medium depressed, or in remission.
But I feel the Venerable doesn't grasp how paralysing depression or any mental illness can be in its acute phase. When it's utterly impossible to even have a shower or leave the house, let alone have the perspective to practice mindfulness.
The mind in that stage is incapable of rational thought.

The attitude and approach Venerable recommends is suitable for people who aren't in the deepest depths.

It's the same for talk therapy and counseling: they say there's not really much point in doing counseling until the client is out of their illness enough to have some more objective perspective.

Virgo

Post by Virgo » Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:51 am

Aside from that, do you feel the Venerable One's advice was good?

Kevin...
The Hunger Site

JamesTheGiant

Post by JamesTheGiant » Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:34 am

Virgo wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:51 am
Aside from that, do you feel the Venerable One's advice was good?

Kevin...
Yes, I feel it was good advice. Basically the whole of the dhamma is a depression treatment, especially mindfulness and seeing emotions as objects which come and go. That's almost exactly Cognitive Behavioral Therapy.

SarathW

Post by SarathW » Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:49 am

I think any one who feel depressed should start taking vitamin D.
It worked wonders for me.
Perhaps meditation and exercise combined.
It is important to understand we have a body and mind (two)
The doctors treat only the body psychologist treat only the mind.
Buddha advised monks to go out get some exposure to sun light.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”

SarathW

Post by SarathW » Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:42 am

I think it is a good video but not sure how much that helps a person who suffers from depression and anxiety.
It is very difficult for me to understand what is depression means even though I had a very short period of sad mental situation.
I was suffering from body ache and insomnia.
So I can imagine how much the longterm sufferer has to go through.
Something Ven talking here is about the Vibhajjvada.
Analysing the depression and anxiety instead of suffering it.

Perhaps a person who really suffers from these conditions and recovered may help another person better.

Vibhajjavada:

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2488&hilit=vibhajjavada&start=15
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”

Idappaccayata

Post by Idappaccayata » Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:44 pm

Here's another video I recently came across on the topic:

A dying man can only rely upon his wisdom, if he developed it. Wisdom is not dependent upon any phenomenon originated upon six senses. It is developed on the basis of the discernment of the same. That’s why when one’s senses start to wither and die, the knowledge of their nature remains unaffected. When there is no wisdom, there will be despair, in the face of death.

- Ajahn Nyanamoli Thero

polo

Post by polo » Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:04 am

JamesTheGiant wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:18 am
There are useful things in the video. Useful for those who are just mild-to-medium depressed, or in remission.
But I feel the Venerable doesn't grasp how paralysing depression or any mental illness can be in its acute phase. When it's utterly impossible to even have a shower or leave the house, let alone have the perspective to practice mindfulness.
The mind in that stage is incapable of rational thought.

The attitude and approach Venerable recommends is suitable for people who aren't in the deepest depths.

It's the same for talk therapy and counseling: they say there's not really much point in doing counseling until the client is out of their illness enough to have some more objective perspective.
After reading what you wrote I realized I didn't really understood the amount of suffering people went through. I thought I was depressed but now I know my depression is nothing compared to what others went through.
What you wrote enable me in some ways to perceive and feel the damage done by serious depression.
Thank you James. Good of you to have written that comment.

DooDoot

Post by DooDoot » Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:46 am

When I was younger and very inspired (or "drunk") by meditation, I had ideas similar to the videos. I left the monastery where I meditated full-time for one year to study psychology at university (until I came to the view the study was pointless).

Now, I believe the standard mindfulness approach in the videos may certainly help some people. However, I also more strongly believe (although I could be wrong) that many forms of depression & anxiety have a "social cause" and treatment of them requires some type of "socially-orientated" approach.

While many Buddhists may say meditation helped overcome some or all of their depression & anxiety, I would also ask whether new social environments they abided in (such as Dhamma centres with lots of metta, safety & nice people) was a strong factor in helping them.

I have my doubts that mental states such as "anxiety" can be helped by forms of meditation (as described in the videos) that increase the "introversion". I theorise a combination of both meditation & a strong positive social environment may be required.

From 2015 to 2017 (time is passing so quickly), I spoke nearly daily to a lady suffering from anxiety & occasional suicidal thoughts due to her new found aloneness (after retiring from her 30 year job). From 2018, I do not speak with her so often (given she passed through the very difficult intense darkness) and only occasionally. She has had the same partner for the last 30 years. She is not wise but has a natural strong morality. Her current (of many tried) psychologist accurately diagnosed her with anhedonia; which I have always done; which limits her potential pleasure seeking & thus anxiety avoidance behaviours. She still says I am her best counsellor. We spoke a few days ago; where she asked me about meditation & monasteries. I replied the monastery must have a very strong social culture to help her. My view is the right social relationships (which she does not have) can help her the most. :smile:
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati

binocular

Post by binocular » Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:22 am

DooDoot wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:46 am
Now, I believe the standard mindfulness approach in the videos may certainly help some people.

However, I also more strongly believe (although I could be wrong) that many forms of depression & anxiety have a "social cause" and treatment of them requires some type of "socially-orientated" approach.
I agree.
And I think it would be nice if such social support would exist.
But I also think that such social support is a luxury that one cannot afford to rely on. By the time one finally receives it, one could be dead.
Every person we save is one less zombie to fight. -- World War Z

felixet

Post by felixet » Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:08 am

I think that sleep, exercise, fun movie watching and traveling are the natural medicines for reducing depression and anxiety.

Akashad

Post by Akashad » Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:27 am

Don't forget ECT.

This is for severe depression.Really works too.

[media][media]