Coping with growing old

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
robertk

Re: Coping with growing old

Post by robertk » Wed May 22, 2019 8:14 am

No_Mind wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 8:18 am
. c

For old times sake .. (maybe mods would frown)

P.S - As I grow older YouTube, it seems is becoming my best friend.

:namaste:
Here is a song for when you are Really old.

binocular

Post by binocular » Wed May 22, 2019 8:42 am

No_Mind wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 4:26 am
All advertisements, product launches .. popular movies and music .. design and layout of shopping malls is aimed squarely at those below 30, making it slightly uncomfortable for someone approaching 50. If you have seen a thousand commercials over 4 years and not one had a character above 35 it plays on the mind.
What did you expect? What you're describing are typical manifestations of people's intoxication with youth.
"Now, based on what line of reasoning should one often reflect... that 'I am subject to aging, have not gone beyond aging'? There are beings who are intoxicated with a [typical] youth's intoxication with youth. Because of that intoxication with youth, they conduct themselves in a bad way in body... in speech... and in mind. But when they often reflect on that fact, that youth's intoxication with youth will either be entirely abandoned or grow weaker...
https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... .than.html
"Even though I was endowed with such fortune, such total refinement, the thought occurred to me: 'When an untaught, run-of-the-mill person, himself subject to aging, not beyond aging, sees another who is aged, he is horrified, humiliated, & disgusted, oblivious to himself that he too is subject to aging, not beyond aging. If I — who am subject to aging, not beyond aging — were to be horrified, humiliated, & disgusted on seeing another person who is aged, that would not be fitting for me.' As I noticed this, the [typical] young person's intoxication with youth entirely dropped away.
https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... .than.html
Of course, the obvious answer is to lead my own life, listen to Pink Floyd and The Doors, read Solzhenitsyn /.../ and watch Apocalypse Now (which is a rather neat summary of my life).
This looks like another form of intoxication with youth -- intoxication with one's own youth ...

But we are humans and seek connection (not that I am lonely and seek that kind of connections but just a chat once a week will do) .. that is where it hurts ..
Please don't put your life in the hands of a rock'n'roll band -- they'll throw it all away!*
Or in the hands of film directors or literary authors, for that matter. They don't care about your life either.

*(That's a line from an Oasis song, btw.)
Every person we save is one less zombie to fight. -- World War Z

binocular

Post by binocular » Wed May 22, 2019 8:43 am

Srilankaputra wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 6:42 am
There is only one escape route. Developing the Unshakable_Mind.
:smile:
Every person we save is one less zombie to fight. -- World War Z

sunnat

Post by sunnat » Wed May 22, 2019 11:14 am

All things that are composed will decompose. A feeling, sensation, that arises will pass away. Continuous equanimous observation of the impermanence of all things, the correct continuous understanding of anicca of all composed things, the observation of their decay. Calmly observing the river flowing by, sometimes clear, sometimes clouded by sentimentality, it doesn't matter what the state of the river is. What matters is how correctly, equanimously, continuously it is observed. Pain, sentimentality, pleasure, ignorance, life, death.. It's all the same. All to be observed, rising and passing away. This leads to the complete eradication of all defilements.