Cold showers

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
Alīno

Cold showers

Post by Alīno »

Good evening !

Do someone take cold showers ?:)

I had some attachements for hot shower on the morning, but until March I take cold shower or at least end each shower by cold water. And also when you wake up very early cold water bring you alive in one second )) mind is very clear and you can practice with energy joy and tranquillity ...

It seems that when you take a cold water under 12°Celsius your body generate internal heat that rises your body temperature to 40°+ celcius, and as body temperature rising is one of the body's defences from bacteria and viruses, it clean your body from conditions to be seek.
Iam working with a lot of different peoples and rich a lot of dirty objects, a lot of peoples are seek around me, but I have nothing...

Is some one do this practice? What are your observations? How do you do it?
If not, I really suggest you to do it tomorrow )) but on your rhythm, downing temperature little by little and holding it on your body until you will feel comfortable and then stop.

:anjali:
Ajahn Nanadassano (before ordaining) : Venerable Ajahn, what is the bigest error that buddhist do in their practice?
Ajahn Jayasaro : They stop practicing ...
SarathW

Re: Cold showers

Post by SarathW »

Thanks for the post. I like to see the opinion of others.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Manopubbangama

Post by Manopubbangama »

I used to do polar bear club.

Its an endorphin-rich activity.

It can become a drug, i.e. taken too far, as in the case of Porfiry Ivanov.
paul

Post by paul »

Moderation is necessary so that such practices do not veer off onto a Hindu path of extreme asceticism, thereby contravening the Buddha's teaching of a middle way between asceticism and materialism.
""There are these two extremes that are not to be indulged in by one who has gone forth. Which two? That which is devoted to sensual pleasure with reference to sensual objects: base, vulgar, common, ignoble, unprofitable; and that which is devoted to self-affliction: painful, ignoble, unprofitable. Avoiding both of these extremes, the middle way realized by the Tathagata — producing vision, producing knowledge — leads to calm, to direct knowledge, to self-awakening, to Unbinding."---SN 56.11
Last edited by paul on Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Manopubbangama wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:28 pm It can become a drug, i.e. taken too far, as in the case of Porfiry Ivanov.
Another famous one is Wim Hof. He teaches and does a sort of ice meditation with breathing exercises. He's known as the "ice man."
Idappaccayata

Post by Idappaccayata »

I do this occasionally. Along with using the sauna. Both heat and cold can be very good for the body in moderation. Sauna has been linked to cardiovascular health as well.
A dying man can only rely upon his wisdom, if he developed it. Wisdom is not dependent upon any phenomenon originated upon six senses. It is developed on the basis of the discernment of the same. That’s why when one’s senses start to wither and die, the knowledge of their nature remains unaffected. When there is no wisdom, there will be despair, in the face of death.

- Ajahn Nyanamoli Thero
budo

Post by budo »

DNS wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:42 pm
Manopubbangama wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:28 pm It can become a drug, i.e. taken too far, as in the case of Porfiry Ivanov.
Another famous one is Wim Hof. He teaches and does a sort of ice meditation with breathing exercises. He's known as the "ice man."
People have died from Wim Hof's method from blacking out and drowning, and his method is, excuse my language.. bullshit. He's been debunked by a fellow Dutch man. His twin brother can withstand the same temperatures as him without any "method" because they have a genetic mutation.

http://www.pepijnvanerp.nl/2016/01/wim-hof-method/

Having said that, cold showers are healthy for you, but you don't need to go to extremes like ice baths, just a regular cold shower once in a while. I actually try to go swimming 2-3 times a week, swimming also increases your lung's capacity to take in oxygen which studies have shown improves your immune system, lowers chance of cancer, and increases longetivity. My girlfriend's 95 year old grandmother has been swimming 2-3 times a week for most of her life and she's still very healthy.
Idappaccayata

Post by Idappaccayata »

budo wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:14 pm
People have died from Wim Hof's method from blacking out and drowning, and his method is, excuse my language.. bullshit. He's been debunked by a fellow Dutch man. His twin brother can withstand the same temperatures as him without any "method" because they have a genetic mutation.

Having said that, cold showers are healthy for you, but you don't need to go to extremes like ice baths, just a regular cold shower once in a while. I actually try to go swimming 2-3 times a week, swimming also increases your lung's capacity to take in oxygen which studies have shown improves your immune system, lowers chance of cancer, and increases longetivity. My girlfriend's 95 year old grandmother has been swimming 2-3 times a week for most of her life and she's still very healthy.
This link is just a journalist rambling about how he doesn't like wim hof. He even admits how the method allowed people to handle endotoxin better.

Obviously it can't cure disease, and some people take it way too far, but your take on it seems a bit.... Harsh.

Think what you will about wim hof, but the science is there - temporary cold exposure is good for the body.
A dying man can only rely upon his wisdom, if he developed it. Wisdom is not dependent upon any phenomenon originated upon six senses. It is developed on the basis of the discernment of the same. That’s why when one’s senses start to wither and die, the knowledge of their nature remains unaffected. When there is no wisdom, there will be despair, in the face of death.

- Ajahn Nyanamoli Thero
budo

Post by budo »

Idappaccayata wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:39 am
budo wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:14 pm

This link is just a journalist rambling about how he doesn't like wim hof. He even admits how the method allowed people to handle endotoxin better.

Obviously it can't cure disease, and some people take it way too far, but your take on it seems a bit.... Harsh.

Think what you will about wim hof, but the science is there - temporary cold exposure is good for the body.
Actually if you read the link you will see that the one study they did on wim hof is the one that disproves his method, because his twin brother is in the same study and he has the same brown adipose levels as wim hof despite not doing any training or methods, due to genetics.

"They were genotyped with the polymorphism for uncoupling protein-1 (G/G). "

https://journals.plos.org/plosone/artic ... ne.0101653

Also the article also talks about the deaths of people doing his method.

Some people are just easily brainwashed. Did you read what I wrote and are you even familiar with his method? I said cold showers are good, but his method involves hyperventilation and ice baths, both of which are unnecessary and extreme.
Manopubbangama

Post by Manopubbangama »

Interesting.

I guess any phenomena will be translated back to the cultural milieu from which it came, so for Porfiry it was an Orthodox version of self-improvement and for Wim its an "extreme sport."

Soon vipassana will have competitions on TV with a 1st prize as a trip to the Bahamas and a new Lamborghini: Xtreme Mindfulnezz
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Manopubbangama wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:10 am I guess any phenomena will be translated back to the cultural milieu from which it came, so for Porfiry it was an Orthodox version of self-improvement and for Wim its an "extreme sport."

Soon vipassana will have competitions on TV with a 1st prize as a trip to the Bahamas and a new Lamborghini: Xtreme Mindfulnezz
The Onion (satirical) did that:

https://www.theonion.com/monk-gloats-ov ... 1819563855
Bikram averaged 1.89 breaths a minute during the two-hour competition, nearly .3 fewer than his nearest competitor, second-place finisher and two-time champion Sri Salil “The Hammer” Gupta.
Bikram got off to a fast start at the Lhasa meet, which like most major competitions, is a six-event affair. In the first event, he attained total consciousness (TC) in just 2 minutes, 34 seconds, and set the tone for the rest of the meet by repeatedly shouting, “I’m blissful! You blissful?! I’m blissful!” to the other yogis.
:lol:
Manopubbangama

Post by Manopubbangama »

DNS wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:06 pm
Manopubbangama wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:10 am I guess any phenomena will be translated back to the cultural milieu from which it came, so for Porfiry it was an Orthodox version of self-improvement and for Wim its an "extreme sport."

The Onion (satirical) did that:

https://www.theonion.com/monk-gloats-ov ... 1819563855
Bikram averaged 1.89 breaths a minute during the two-hour competition, nearly .3 fewer than his nearest competitor, second-place finisher and two-time champion Sri Salil “The Hammer” Gupta.
Bikram got off to a fast start at the Lhasa meet, which like most major competitions, is a six-event affair. In the first event, he attained total consciousness (TC) in just 2 minutes, 34 seconds, and set the tone for the rest of the meet by repeatedly shouting, “I’m blissful! You blissful?! I’m blissful!” to the other yogis.
:lol:
OMG, I missed my calling.

This is great.
who first used the position at the 1990 Tokyo Zen-Off.
mrgrtt123

Post by mrgrtt123 »

I am not a fan of the cold shower, it makes me feel kinda sick after.
A web designer at PetStreetMall, a place to find quality and affordable pet supplies
DC2R

Post by DC2R »

Whenever I take hot showers, I feel slow and sluggish afterwards. After cold showers, I never feel this way. I always feel awake and ready to start the day. So from personal experience, cold showers are better for me, but my body tends to prefer hot showers. It's very pleasurable to take a hot shower, especially when it's cold outside, so I try to reduce the temperature until it reaches a point where it is slightly uncomfortable but not extremely cold.

There are several benefits to the slightly cold shower: I tend to get out quicker (which saves water and money), I feel more refreshed, and being in a zone of discomfort creates the opportunity to expand my comfort zone. The small habit of being uncomfortable every day promotes personal growth in many areas of life.
Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

In the summer I take cold showers, although the water isn’t actually that cold at that time. In winter I take a hot shower and then at the end shift immediately to full cold for a few minutes and train myself to breathe slowly through the acclimation period and avoid the reflex to gasp. I think it definitely promotes alertness and energy. If I got out of a hot shower without any cold water at the end I’d just feel all mellowed out, plus I might sweat which would somewhat defeat the purpose of the shower.

"I don't envision a single thing that, when developed & cultivated, leads to such great benefit as the mind. The mind, when developed & cultivated, leads to great benefit."

"I don't envision a single thing that, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about such suffering & stress as the mind. The mind, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about suffering & stress."