Is meditation bad for you?

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
Spiny Norman

Re: Is meditation bad for you?

Post by Spiny Norman »

seeker242 wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:03 am Some people hurt themselves doing exercise, does that mean exercise is bad for you? Of course not...
Though it might mean the person is doing the wrong kind of exercise?
Buddha save me from new-agers!
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Dinsdale wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 2:25 pm
SarathW wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:06 am Is meditation bad for you?
It depends on the type of meditation. I don't see how practices like anapanasati and mettabhavana could be "bad" for somebody.
Agree.
I can't see how Vipassana can bad for you.
However, Samatha practice without Noble Eightfold Path may cause some problems.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

Dinsdale wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 2:25 pmI don't see...
I thought the article was realistic (particularly since I worked mass-market retreats for a number of years; putting 1000s of people though retreats).
Zom wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:21 pm A part of McMindfulness trend, really.
McJhana ????
User1249x wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:08 amIE I have personally heard monks talk about other monks who sit for many hours in meditation to quote "like a rock" and know a monk who i am almost certain attains these hard jhana of which you speak. Cessation attainment, i know of people alive who i am convinced have attained it as well.
Heard a majority of monks talk about about a minority of monks? Know "a (single) monk"? Place the number into a calculator and divide by the population of the world.
Bhikkhus, suppose a man would throw a yoke with a single hole into the great ocean, and there was a blind turtle which would come to the surface once every hundred years. What do you think, bhikkhus, would that blind turtle, coming to the surface once every hundred years, insert its neck into that yoke with a single hole?

If it would ever do so, venerable sir, it would be only after a very long time.

Sooner, I say, would that blind turtle, coming to the surface once every hundred years, insert its neck into that yoke with a single hole than the fool who has gone once to the nether world would regain the human state. For what reason? Because here, bhikkhus, there is no conduct guided by the Dhamma, no righteous conduct, no wholesome activity, no meritorious activity. Here there prevails mutual devouring, the devouring of the weak. For what reason? Because, bhikkhus, they have not seen the Four Noble Truths. What four? The noble truth of suffering … the noble truth of the way leading to the cessation of suffering.

SN 56.47
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati