Recurrent Clostridium Difficile. Any advice?

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
suriyopama

Re: Recurrent Clostridium Difficile. Any advice?

Post by suriyopama »

Volovsky wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:51 am
suriyopama wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:46 am Saccharomyces Boulardi, the probiotic that I've ordered, is a yeast extracted from lychee and mangosteen. That is the reason why I have decided to try it, given my experience with natural mangosteen.
Hope it works. Please, let us know if it is helpful against C.diff.
I am getting mixed results. I still can not clearly verify the efficiency of S.Boulardi.

- I had symptoms while I was on the second week of antibiotics (2 weeks treatment). This C.Diff is resilient to antibiotics.
- I received the S.Boulardi a couple of days after finalizing the antibiotics, and I started taking 4 capsules per day
- On the second day symptoms aggravated (I assume that the effect of S.Boulardi is not immediate) so I went to the Chinese doctor at Hua Chiew TCM Clinic, a very well recognized Traditional Chinese Medicine Hospital in Bangkok. https://www.huachiewtcm.com/en/
- Symptoms were gone on the second day of taking the Chinese Herbs.
- Now I am on the second week of taking both TCM herbs and S.Boulardi. I had symptoms Thursday and Friday, but they were gone on Saturday.
- TCM herbs are prescribed for one week (after the doctor asks questions and examine tongue and pulse). The doctor changed the ingredients for this second week because I reported headache and constipation - perhaps he changed the anti-c.diff recipe for treating the headache?. I'll ask him on m next visit

Note: I have to admit that I am having a sedentary life. All day sitting at the office, and too lazytired when I arrive home. I must change this. :embarassed:

So, I cannot conclude anything solid at this point. I'll keep reporting on the results.
Mkoll

Re: Recurrent Clostridium Difficile. Any advice?

Post by Mkoll »

Were I in your shoes, I'd stick with antibiotics for treatment before trying alternative/complementary medicine. If one antibiotic doesn't work, another may because their mechanisms of attacking the bacteria are different. There are almost certainly stronger oral antibiotics than what you're taking and IV antibiotics are stronger still. I'd want to see a(nother) gastroenterologist if the first treatment didn't work. And I'd consult with the physician treating me about alternative/complementary therapies I'm interested in trying before doing so.
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa