Recurrent Clostridium Difficile. Any advice?

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
suriyopama

Recurrent Clostridium Difficile. Any advice?

Post by suriyopama »

Symptoms started 10 years ago (about the same time when I came to live in Thailand): episodes of constipation but releasing small doses of clear and transparent water - without any solid. Sometimes going around 10 times per day to the toilet to release only water, wetting my pants if I do not run.

Doctors could not find anything for that long period of time, until a couple of months ago when C. Difficile was detected in a stool sample.

People is normally infected with C. Difficile when taking antibiotics (antibiotics kill the good bacteria normally residing the gut, allowing c. difficile to grow) or at outgrows in hospitals. But I am not taking antibiotics and I haven’t been hospitalized recently.

Paradoxically, the doctor is giving me a kind of antibiotic (metronidaole) that is supposed to treat C. Difficile. But it seems that the bacteria have become resilient, because the antibiotic is not helping.

I've found that mangosteen is a good probiotic to fight c. difficile. It works!! MY gut was healthy while was eating it every day, but now it is no season for mangosteen in Thailand. It is not easy to find in good condition.

Does anyone have experience treating recurrent c. difficile?
Volo

Re: Recurrent Clostridium Difficile. Any advice?

Post by Volo »

I didn't have this problem, but just for your information. There is a pretty wierd, but apparently very effective treatment for this particular illness: "faeces transplantation". I'm not making fun, search in internet - It helped many people. Apparently, when faeces from a healthy person is transported to a diseased one, they carry the whole bunch of good microflora, which can effectively kill the bad bacteria.

Might be worth to discuss with the doctors.
Fecal transplants, in which stool is obtained from a healthy friend or relative and injected into the colon during a colonoscopy procedure, have been shown to cure C. diff about 90% to 95% of the time. It’s a cure rate that Silverman and other experts call “utterly remarkable.”

Fecal transplants have become standard care for people who have repeated bouts of C. diff. It’s much easier to get them in a medical setting than it was even 2 years ago. And the stool doesn’t even have to be delivered via colonoscopy anymore. Doctors can order new capsules of carefully screened, freeze-dried donor stool made by a biotech startup company called OpenBiome that patients swallow to get nearly the same benefits.
https://www.webmd.com/digestive-disorde ... transplant
suriyopama

Post by suriyopama »

Yes, the doctor told me about fecal transplant. But he also said that it is not proved to be very effective.

I've just ordered a probiotic called "Saccharomyces Boulardii + MOS". It is not available in Thailand, so I ordered on iHerb and it may take a couple of weeks to arrive.
cookiemonster

Post by cookiemonster »

suriyopama wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:41 pm Symptoms started 10 years ago (about the same time when I came to live in Thailand): episodes of constipation but releasing small doses of clear and transparent water - without any solid. Sometimes going around 10 times per day to the toilet to release only water, wetting my pants if I do not run.

Doctors could not find anything for that long period of time, until a couple of months ago when C. Difficile was detected in a stool sample.

People is normally infected with C. Difficile when taking antibiotics (antibiotics kill the good bacteria normally residing the gut, allowing c. difficile to grow) or at outgrows in hospitals. But I am not taking antibiotics and I haven’t been hospitalized recently.

Paradoxically, the doctor is giving me a kind of antibiotic (metronidaole) that is supposed to treat C. Difficile. But it seems that the bacteria have become resilient, because the antibiotic is not helping.

I've found that mangosteen is a good probiotic to fight c. difficile. It works!! MY gut was healthy while was eating it every day, but now it is no season for mangosteen in Thailand. It is not easy to find in good condition.

Does anyone have experience treating recurrent c. difficile?
I'm sorry to hear you're going through this! I haven't had the issue, but I would consider ingesting bentonite clay, and performing tumeric enemas, on a daily basis, if it were me.
dharmacorps

Post by dharmacorps »

Rely on your doctor's advice and avoid getting medical advice from strangers on the internet :stirthepot:
suriyopama

Post by suriyopama »

dharmacorps wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:49 pm Rely on your doctor's advice and avoid getting medical advice from strangers on the internet :stirthepot:
Yes,that is wise. But even doctors are confused about which is the best recipe. When I asked my doctor if may take Saccharomyces Boulardiiwould he said that I should try. But I am the one who proposed it. It seems like the field of pro-biotic is not yet well studied.

Since I have proved that mangosteen is 100% efficient, I was wondering if somebody else has experience with other food that could bring results.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Sorry to hear this.
This is a common problem among Tibetan monks.

“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Volo

Post by Volo »

suriyopama wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:53 amSince I have proved that mangosteen is 100% efficient, I was wondering if somebody else has experience with other food that could bring results.
How many of mangosteens did you have to eat per day?
suriyopama

Post by suriyopama »

Volovsky wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:35 pm
suriyopama wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:53 amSince I have proved that mangosteen is 100% efficient, I was wondering if somebody else has experience with other food that could bring results.
How many of mangosteens did you have to eat per day?
4 or 5 is enough.

The other day I could buy 4 kilos but they are not in the best condition, because it is not the season. I have to throw one of every 3 or 4, and the skin is quite hard to cut. However, they are still effective. It was gone the day after the first take. Today I've eaten the last batch.
Last edited by suriyopama on Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
suriyopama

Post by suriyopama »

Saccharomyces Boulardi, the probiotic that I've ordered, is a yeast extracted from lychee and mangosteen. That is the reason why I have decided to try it, given my experience with natural mangosteen.

I cannot try lychee because the season in Thailand is from April to June.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saccharomyces_boulardii
Volo

Post by Volo »

suriyopama wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:46 am Saccharomyces Boulardi, the probiotic that I've ordered, is a yeast extracted from lychee and mangosteen. That is the reason why I have decided to try it, given my experience with natural mangosteen.
Hope it works. Please, let us know if it is helpful against C.diff.
LG2V

Post by LG2V »

Drink a few drops of oregano oil with some juice 3x a day for a few days. It's one of the most powerful natural antibacterials out there. Just be careful, because oregano oil can burn if taken undiluted.

I used to sell nutrition & health products.
Here are some excellent sites for giving free Dana (Click-Based Donation):
http://freerice.comhttp://greatergood.com/www.ripple.orgwww.thenonprofits.com
suriyopama

Post by suriyopama »

LG2V wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:47 pm Drink a few drops of oregano oil with some juice 3x a day for a few days. It's one of the most powerful natural antibacterials out there. Just be careful, because oregano oil can burn if taken undiluted.

I used to sell nutrition & health products.
Maybe oregano could kill C.difficile (or maybe not, because it has already become resistant to the antibiotic) but I am afraid that oregano could also be harmful to the good bacteria that prevents C.difficile from growing.

"Oil of oregano comes from a plant that is in the same family as the herbs mint and basil. Like other essential oils, it has anti-bacterial, anti-viral and anti-fungal properties. There is no evidence to show that oil of oregano can discriminate between harmful bacteria and healthy probiotic bacteria in your body. As with antibiotics, this natural plant oil can lower your levels of good bacteria and cause some side effects."
https://www.livestrong.com/article/3004 ... robiotics/

I have already received the Saccharomyces Boulardi probiotic. I will report the results.
LG2V

Post by LG2V »

suriyopama wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:28 am
Maybe oregano could kill C.difficile (or maybe not, because it has already become resistant to the antibiotic) but I am afraid that oregano could also be harmful to the good bacteria that prevents C.difficile from growing.

"Oil of oregano comes from a plant that is in the same family as the herbs mint and basil. Like other essential oils, it has anti-bacterial, anti-viral and anti-fungal properties. There is no evidence to show that oil of oregano can discriminate between harmful bacteria and healthy probiotic bacteria in your body. As with antibiotics, this natural plant oil can lower your levels of good bacteria and cause some side effects."
https://www.livestrong.com/article/3004 ... robiotics/

I have already received the Saccharomyces Boulardi probiotic. I will report the results.

Kill em all. I've had some intestinal/probiotic issues before, and I used to consult customers on it a lot. I'm not a doctor, but this advice is coming from some experience. Something like this, that has an 80% carvacrol concentration, would work: https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Factors- ... egano&th=1

If not that, then the NOW Solutions Oregano Oil is pretty good, although you have to use more of it to achieve the desired effect: https://www.amazon.com/NOW-Solutions-Or ... egano&th=1

You can always replenish your gut flora pretty quickly with a 50+ billion probiotic like this: https://www.amazon.com/Renew-Life-Probi ... +probiotic. The key is to get one that has multiple probiotic strains. They do different things, and your chances of success go up with a greater variety of strains.
Here are some excellent sites for giving free Dana (Click-Based Donation):
http://freerice.comhttp://greatergood.com/www.ripple.orgwww.thenonprofits.com
lostitude

Post by lostitude »

suriyopama wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:53 am
dharmacorps wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:49 pm Rely on your doctor's advice and avoid getting medical advice from strangers on the internet :stirthepot:
Yes,that is wise. But even doctors are confused about which is the best recipe. When I asked my doctor if may take Saccharomyces Boulardiiwould he said that I should try. But I am the one who proposed it. It seems like the field of pro-biotic is not yet well studied.
Maybe your doctor thinks that S. Boulardii is not going to hurt anyway, but wont' be enough to solve the issue entirely, which is probably why he didn't offer it but let you have it when you asked about it. In my country S. Boulardii is very popular and doctors usually prescribe it whenever they prescribe a course of antibiotics, precisely to help protect the microbiome. But it is no silver bullet. It just helps.

And he is perfectly right to say that feacal transplant is unproven so far. Several studies even suggest it only has very short term effects, if any at all...