No amount of alcohol is good for you

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
budo

No amount of alcohol is good for you

Post by budo »

Recent global study confirms.

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/08/23/heal ... 1535109749

And also a casual link to cancer has been confirmed.

So don't worry about coconut oil and saturated fat, instead worry about alcohol.
salayatananirodha

Re: No amount of alcohol is good for you

Post by salayatananirodha »

Yes, I think this is why the buddha condemned it, since it not only increases mindlessness but it has no discernible health benefit
I host a sutta discussion via Zoom Sundays at 11AM Chicago time — message me if you are interested
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

budo wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:23 am Recent global study confirms.

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/08/23/heal ... 1535109749

And also a casual link to cancer has been confirmed.

So don't worry about coconut oil and saturated fat, instead worry about alcohol.
That study has been all over the media here, too.
:thinking:
But I do like this quote in the CNN version:
However, countered David Spiegelhalter, the Winton Professor for the Public Understanding of Risk at the University of Cambridge, "Given the pleasure presumably associated with moderate drinking, claiming there is no 'safe' level does not seem an argument for abstention.
"There is no safe level of driving, but governments do not recommend that people avoid driving," Spiegelhalter, who also was not involved in the research, said in a statement. "Come to think of it, there is no safe level of living, but nobody would recommend abstention."
:smile:

:thumbsup:

:toast:

Kim
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

Kim OHara wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:58 am
However, countered David Spiegelhalter, the Winton Professor for the Public Understanding of Risk at the University of Cambridge, "Given the pleasure presumably associated with moderate drinking, claiming there is no 'safe' level does not seem an argument for abstention.
"There is no safe level of driving, but governments do not recommend that people avoid driving," Spiegelhalter, who also was not involved in the research, said in a statement. "Come to think of it, there is no safe level of living, but nobody would recommend abstention."

Kim
All true enough, but for those who have given up alcohol to maintain the precept, it's good to know that we are not missing any hidden health benefit!
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

Sam Vara wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:14 am
Kim OHara wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:58 am

Kim
All true enough, but for those who have given up alcohol to maintain the precept, it's good to know that we are not missing any hidden health benefit!
Sure.
I don't oppose giving up alcohol altogether, actually. I just like to keep things in proportion.

:namaste:
Kim
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

Sam Vara wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:14 am All true enough, but for those who have given up alcohol to maintain the precept, it's good to know that we are not missing any hidden health benefit!
So Guinness really isn't good for you? :tongue:

"The Wisconsin team tested the health-giving properties of stout against lager by giving it to dogs who had narrowed arteries similar to those in heart disease.
They found that those given the Guinness had reduced clotting activity in their blood, but not those given lager."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/3266819.stm

I have this mental image of various dogs drinking Guinness.... :jumping:
Buddha save me from new-agers!
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

David Spiegelhalter wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:58 am"Come to think of it, there is no safe level of living, but nobody would recommend abstention."
Very appropriate! Despite mentioning a 1st Noble Truth in disguise, the author forgot (or didn’t know) that the Buddha did recommend abstention from living :-)
budo

Post by budo »

You can use that strawman for anything, not just alcohol, like meth, guns, gambling, prostitution, you name it.
dharmacorps

Post by dharmacorps »

I was glad to read about this study because the idea that some alcohol is good for you is quite pervasive in the US anyway. I think it may be a deeply rooted idea because during prohibition here, alcohol was still permitted to be sold as a medication. I've also heard that Guinness beer was given to pregnant and breastfeeding women in the UK and Ireland to help "strengthen" their children :O
TRobinson465

Post by TRobinson465 »

In this case. Buddhism beat science since science eventually proved itself wrong. lol (just a joke, no deeper message)
"Do not have blind faith, but also no blind criticism" - the 14th Dalai Lama

"The Blessed One has set in motion the unexcelled Wheel of Dhamma that cannot be stopped by brahmins, devas, Maras, Brahmas or anyone in the cosmos." -Dhammacakkappavattana Sutta
Manopubbangama

Post by Manopubbangama »

We at least win the award for "best designated driver" of the religions.

Everyone needs a Buddhist friend.
Disciple

Post by Disciple »

Manopubbangama wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:55 pm We at least win the award for "best designated driver" of the religions.

Serious buddhists dont hang out with drunkards. They are recommended to keep good company.
Benjamin

Post by Benjamin »

Disciple wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:46 am
Manopubbangama wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:55 pm We at least win the award for "best designated driver" of the religions.

Serious buddhists dont hang out with drunkards. They are recommended to keep good company.
I would agree that having more friends who abstain from drinking is good, especially if you yourself are prone to breaking the precept given social pressure from them. That being said, my friends who drink on occasion are probably not best described by the term "drunkard".
:candle: :buddha1: :candle:
mrgrtt123

Post by mrgrtt123 »

Drinking alcohol is not good, a lot of people drink to escape reality but will wake up with a hangover.
A web designer at PetStreetMall, a place to find quality and affordable pet supplies
MrKoala

Post by MrKoala »

Hello all,

As i am new to buddhism, could anyone please recommend any sutta or commentary that assists with keeping the fifth precept.

Kind Regards,
Mk