No amount of alcohol is good for you

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
Post Reply
User avatar
budo
Posts: 426
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:16 am
Location: The world

No amount of alcohol is good for you

Post by budo » Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:23 am

Recent global study confirms.

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/08/23/heal ... 1535109749

And also a casual link to cancer has been confirmed.

So don't worry about coconut oil and saturated fat, instead worry about alcohol.

User avatar
salayatananirodha
Posts: 219
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:34 am

Re: No amount of alcohol is good for you

Post by salayatananirodha » Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:02 am

Yes, I think this is why the buddha condemned it, since it not only increases mindlessness but it has no discernible health benefit
16. 'In what has the world originated?' — so said the Yakkha Hemavata, — 'with what is the world intimate? by what is the world afflicted, after having grasped at what?' (167)

17. 'In six the world has originated, O Hemavata,' — so said Bhagavat, — 'with six it is intimate, by six the world is afflicted, after having grasped at six.' (168)

- Hemavatasutta


links:
https://www.ancient-buddhist-texts.net/index.htm
http://thaiforestwisdom.org/canonical-texts/
http://seeingthroughthenet.net/
https://www.dhammatalks.org/index.html

User avatar
Kim OHara
Posts: 4999
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:47 am
Location: North Queensland, Australia

Re: No amount of alcohol is good for you

Post by Kim OHara » Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:58 am

budo wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:23 am
Recent global study confirms.

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/08/23/heal ... 1535109749

And also a casual link to cancer has been confirmed.

So don't worry about coconut oil and saturated fat, instead worry about alcohol.
That study has been all over the media here, too.
:thinking:
But I do like this quote in the CNN version:
However, countered David Spiegelhalter, the Winton Professor for the Public Understanding of Risk at the University of Cambridge, "Given the pleasure presumably associated with moderate drinking, claiming there is no 'safe' level does not seem an argument for abstention.
"There is no safe level of driving, but governments do not recommend that people avoid driving," Spiegelhalter, who also was not involved in the research, said in a statement. "Come to think of it, there is no safe level of living, but nobody would recommend abstention."
:smile:

:thumbsup:

:toast:

Kim

User avatar
Sam Vara
Posts: 4407
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:42 pm
Location: Sussex, U.K.

Re: No amount of alcohol is good for you

Post by Sam Vara » Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:14 am

Kim OHara wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:58 am

That study has been all over the media here, too.
:thinking:
But I do like this quote in the CNN version:
However, countered David Spiegelhalter, the Winton Professor for the Public Understanding of Risk at the University of Cambridge, "Given the pleasure presumably associated with moderate drinking, claiming there is no 'safe' level does not seem an argument for abstention.
"There is no safe level of driving, but governments do not recommend that people avoid driving," Spiegelhalter, who also was not involved in the research, said in a statement. "Come to think of it, there is no safe level of living, but nobody would recommend abstention."
:smile:

:thumbsup:

:toast:

Kim
All true enough, but for those who have given up alcohol to maintain the precept, it's good to know that we are not missing any hidden health benefit!

User avatar
Kim OHara
Posts: 4999
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:47 am
Location: North Queensland, Australia

Re: No amount of alcohol is good for you

Post by Kim OHara » Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:49 am

Sam Vara wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:14 am
Kim OHara wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:58 am

That study has been all over the media here, too.
:thinking:
But I do like this quote in the CNN version:
However, countered David Spiegelhalter, the Winton Professor for the Public Understanding of Risk at the University of Cambridge, "Given the pleasure presumably associated with moderate drinking, claiming there is no 'safe' level does not seem an argument for abstention.
"There is no safe level of driving, but governments do not recommend that people avoid driving," Spiegelhalter, who also was not involved in the research, said in a statement. "Come to think of it, there is no safe level of living, but nobody would recommend abstention."
:smile:

:thumbsup:

:toast:

Kim
All true enough, but for those who have given up alcohol to maintain the precept, it's good to know that we are not missing any hidden health benefit!
Sure.
I don't oppose giving up alcohol altogether, actually. I just like to keep things in proportion.

:namaste:
Kim

Dinsdale
Posts: 5975
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:32 am
Location: Andromeda looks nice

Re: No amount of alcohol is good for you

Post by Dinsdale » Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:41 am

Sam Vara wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:14 am
All true enough, but for those who have given up alcohol to maintain the precept, it's good to know that we are not missing any hidden health benefit!
So Guinness really isn't good for you? :tongue:

"The Wisconsin team tested the health-giving properties of stout against lager by giving it to dogs who had narrowed arteries similar to those in heart disease.
They found that those given the Guinness had reduced clotting activity in their blood, but not those given lager."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/3266819.stm

I have this mental image of various dogs drinking Guinness.... :jumping:
Buddha save me from new-agers!

User avatar
Nicolas
Posts: 811
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:59 pm
Location: Somerville, MA, USA

Re: No amount of alcohol is good for you

Post by Nicolas » Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:56 am

David Spiegelhalter wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:58 am
"Come to think of it, there is no safe level of living, but nobody would recommend abstention."
Very appropriate! Despite mentioning a 1st Noble Truth in disguise, the author forgot (or didn’t know) that the Buddha did recommend abstention from living :-)

User avatar
budo
Posts: 426
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:16 am
Location: The world

Re: No amount of alcohol is good for you

Post by budo » Sat Aug 25, 2018 3:00 pm

You can use that strawman for anything, not just alcohol, like meth, guns, gambling, prostitution, you name it.

dharmacorps
Posts: 584
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:33 pm

Re: No amount of alcohol is good for you

Post by dharmacorps » Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:01 pm

I was glad to read about this study because the idea that some alcohol is good for you is quite pervasive in the US anyway. I think it may be a deeply rooted idea because during prohibition here, alcohol was still permitted to be sold as a medication. I've also heard that Guinness beer was given to pregnant and breastfeeding women in the UK and Ireland to help "strengthen" their children :O

TRobinson465
Posts: 504
Joined: Thu May 12, 2016 5:29 pm
Location: United States

Re: No amount of alcohol is good for you

Post by TRobinson465 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:46 am

In this case. Buddhism beat science since science eventually proved itself wrong. lol (just a joke, no deeper message)
:toast:
"Do not have blind faith, but also no blind criticism" - the 14th Dalai Lama

"At Varanasi, in the Deer Park at Isipatana, the Blessed One has set in motion the unexcelled Wheel of Dhamma that cannot be stopped by brahmins, devas, Maras, Brahmas or anyone in the cosmos." -Dhammacakkappavattana Sutta

"Go forth, monks, for the good of the many, for the happiness of the many, out of compassion for the world, for the welfare, the good and the happiness of gods and men. Let no two of you go in the same direction." - First Khandhaka, Chapter 11, Vinaya.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests