try to eat more butter

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
robertk

try to eat more butter

Post by robertk »

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/life/w ... 1330bb969a

There is one thing we know about fats — fat consumption does not cause weight gain,” Indiana University paediatrics professor Aaron Carroll writes in his book The Bad Food Bible: How and Why to Eat Sinfully. “To the contrary; it might actually help us shed a few pounds.” This view is supported by a 2017 study of 135,000 people on low-fat and low-carb diets across 18 countries. Published in medical journal The Lancet, it found that people eating low-fat diets were more likely to suffer from a heart attack or heart disease and more likely to die from several other causes. People on low-carb but normal or higher-fat diets had significantly lower risk of heart attack, heart disease or death. And a separate eight-year trial involving 50,000 women found that a low-fat diet did not correlate with weight loss or a reduced risk of heart disease, breast or colon cancer.

Before we all rush out to gorge on hot chips soaked in duck fat, though, it’s worth remembering the “everything in moderation” maxim and that not all fats are equal. Unsaturated or simple fats — such as those found in butter, milk, avocados, nuts and salmon — are best, especially if they have not been heated to high temperatures, oxidised or melted in processing; this can transform them into less healthy, more complex saturated animal fats or trans fats. Prized Wagyu beef is an exception to the caution over animal fats: its fine veins of intramuscular fat melt at a lower temperature than lamb fat, for example.
SarathW

Re: try to eat more butter

Post by SarathW »

fat consumption does not cause weight gain
I have no doubt the sugar is the culprit of weight gain.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

But is there a link between butter and depression? :tongue:
Buddha save me from new-agers!
seeker242

Post by seeker242 »

try to eat more butter
Try to eat more avocados and peanuts. :)
For a recent study published in the Journal of the American Medical Association, researchers tested what happened when people swapped a small portion of the calories they got from saturated fat (which is most often found in meat and dairy products) with calories from unsaturated fat.

Doing so appeared to be linked with numerous benefits, including a reduction in the risk of death and conditions like heart disease and several neurodegenerative diseases.

"Not all fats are created equal," Harvard nutrition professor Frank B. Hu, a lead author on the study, told The New York Times. "We should eat more good ones from fish and avocados, instead of animal fats," he said. https://www.independent.co.uk/life-styl ... 67076.html
Butter is not back: Limiting saturated fat still best for heart health
https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/news/press ... rt-health/
Volo

Post by Volo »

Not all fats are the same.

* Liquid fats aka "unsaturated fats" aka "oils" (they are usually from plants, but also fish) = good.
* Solid fats aka "saturated fats" aka "butter" (they are usually from animals, but also some plants like coconut and Palm oil have a lot of them) = less good, eat in moderation.
* Trans fats (also solid) aka "hydrogenated oil" aka "partially hydrogenated oil" aka "vegetable fat" aka "margarine" aka "shortening" = as less as possible, better none. They increase level of "bad cholesterol" and risk of heart attack. They are even banned in some countries.
dharmacorps

Post by dharmacorps »

I have been doing the keto diet because it helps with health conditions I have. Butter is good! :)
budo

Post by budo »

Volovsky wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:37 pm Not all fats are the same.

* Liquid fats aka "unsaturated fats" aka "oils" (they are usually from plants, but also fish) = good.
* Solid fats aka "saturated fats" aka "butter" (they are usually from animals, but also some plants like coconut and Palm oil have a lot of them) = less good, eat in moderation.
* Trans fats (also solid) aka "hydrogenated oil" aka "partially hydrogenated oil" aka "vegetable fat" aka "margarine" aka "shortening" = as less as possible, better none. They increase level of "bad cholesterol" and risk of heart attack. They are even banned in some countries.
This is wrong.

Monounsaturated fat = healthy (olive oil, avocados)
Polyunsaturated omega 6 = really bad (e.g. canola oil, corn/mazola, vegetable oils, etc..)
Polyunsaturated omega 3 = healthy
DHA = healthiest oil which comes from concentrated omega 3, usually from fish. Cancer patients are told to take a lot of DHA, as it fights off cancer.

Saturated fat from meat = healthy

Trans fats = bad

Basically look at nature, corn and canola are naturally low fat so they require a lot of volume to produce oil, thus they are high in omega 6..

Olives, avocados, coconuts, all naturally high in fat, thus they are healthy.

Meat and fish = naturally high in fat, so healthy.

You have to be careful with nuts because omega 3 oils go rancid very fast, so you have to eat nuts fresh or protected from light by their shells, don't buy nuts without the shells. All polyunsaturated oils go rancid very fast. This is why fish is the best source of polyunsaturated oils because they are naturally omega 3, cold and their skin protects the oil from light exposure. Fish and seafood are the superfoods of humans, all nations that are on islands with high fish consumption are the healthiest with longest life spans. Stick to smaller fish because they have less mercury in them.

Furthermore fats are a lot healthier than carbs and proteins. Read the research of Dr. Rosedale. The hormones Insulin (raised by carbs and protein), and MTOR (raised by protein) are what causes aging and disease. The hormone Leptin (for fat metabolism) is the only hormone that does not lead to aging and disease.

Therefore fat is the ultimate fuel source for human beings. Read the widely accepted Expensive Tissue Hypothesis, we have large brain to body ratios because we evolved to hunt fat as it is the most economical energy source and our brains are the most expensive tissues, we are carnivores moreso than omnivores. Plant food is our secondary back up fuel, not our primary food.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

I think you can eat anything in moderation.
Including poison (we already consume lot of poison anyway)
Our body is so wonderful and resilient.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Charles1954

Post by Charles1954 »

This is a problem for me because I'm not a huge fan of butter. I really dislike the taste and the consistency. I can't even take a thin layer spread on bread- it just makes me icky for some reason. And it's weird, cause as a kid I used to love it and ate too much of it for my own good.
Peanuts are good though. I love them and they are so good for the human body.
“Let sleeping dogs lie.” Robert Walpole