Insomnia

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
greggorious

Insomnia

Post by greggorious » Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:36 am

I've had issues with insomnia my whole life, and while meditation can often help with my anxiety issues, I still have real problems with falling asleep. Can anyone offer any suggestions or tips with this? I'd be especially keen to hear of any Buddhist techniques, mantra's etc that might help. I think I once read that Ajahn Chah recommended the mantra 'Buddho' to mentally repeat until you fall asleep.
Would love to hear people's thoughts on this.

May you all be happy, at ease and free from suffering :)

Greg
"The original heart/mind shines like pure, clear water with the sweetest taste. But if the heart is pure, is our practice over? No, we must not cling even to this purity. We must go beyond all duality, all concepts, all bad, all good, all pure, all impure. We must go beyond self and nonself, beyond birth and death. When we see with the eye of wisdom, we know that the true Buddha is timeless, unborn, unrelated to any body, any history, any image. Buddha is the ground of all being, the realization of the truth of the unmoving mind.” Ajahn Chah

Crazy cloud

Re: Insomnia

Post by Crazy cloud » Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:56 am

You have a nice mantra to reside in your own chosen signature, my friend :anjali:
If you didn't care
What happened to me
And I didn't care for you

We would zig-zag our way
Through the boredom and pain
Occasionally glancing up through the rain

Wondering which of the
Buggers to blame
And watching for pigs on the wing
- Roger Waters

SarathW

Post by SarathW » Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:39 am

Why insomnia a problem.
Why do you have to sleep if you are not sleepy?
Isn’t this garde now you have all time to practice?
:anjali:
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”

santa100

Post by santa100 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:50 pm

Meditation is great but don't forget some physical exercise, especially outdoor cardios (jogging, biking, hiking, etc.) just 1/2 hr daily would be very effective against insomnia.

markandeya

Post by markandeya » Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:03 pm

Maybe not everything will be in the suttas about these things.

I like the answer that SarathW gave, if your not tired why let it bother you. There is a Zen saying, when tired sleep when hungry eat.

It does seem that anxiety is the root cause.

There are some natural things that you can do, one is soaking the feet in warm water and also massage some oils on the soles of the feet and hands. Everything in the Body, which is same as mind or related completely has endings in the feet and the hand. As a Rule I generally need 4-5 hours sleep a day, it may vary what times I sleep, but I use the soaking feet and massage quite often as this promotes regularity.

Reading something that is calming, not intellectual debates, that can stimulate thought, there are also frequencies on youtube that are said to help promote sleep, but I am not sure f they work as I dont have sleep issues, my issues are when I am awake :thinking:

When I was travelling I very rarely used melatonin which would help with different times zone.

Good luck

With Metta

salayatananirodha

Post by salayatananirodha » Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:43 am

I've heard various accounts that the buddha only slept two hours at night and would take a nap during the day. Although monks will probably need less sleep than most lay people, it is not the case that we should sleep a certain amount of hours, what is considered necessary by modern standards. I've also had a hard time sleeping, especially putting into practice this sutta: https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... .than.html
If you're feeling anxious and miserable and that is accompanied by lack of sleep then you have a problem, but if you're just not sleeping as much as you think you should, it might be a good thing. :coffee:
16. 'In what has the world originated?' — so said the Yakkha Hemavata, — 'with what is the world intimate? by what is the world afflicted, after having grasped at what?' (167)

17. 'In six the world has originated, O Hemavata,' — so said Bhagavat, — 'with six it is intimate, by six the world is afflicted, after having grasped at six.' (168)

- Hemavatasutta

links:
https://www.ancient-buddhist-texts.net/index.htm
http://thaiforestwisdom.org/canonical-texts/
http://seeingthroughthenet.net/
https://www.dhammatalks.org/index.html

TRobinson465

Post by TRobinson465 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:24 am

One thing you could do is do sitting meditation, then lying down meditation until you fall asleep. I myself have had insomnia problems all my life, especially as a child. i have found this helps.
"Do not have blind faith, but also no blind criticism" - the 14th Dalai Lama

"At Varanasi, in the Deer Park at Isipatana, the Blessed One has set in motion the unexcelled Wheel of Dhamma that cannot be stopped by brahmins, devas, Maras, Brahmas or anyone in the cosmos." -Dhammacakkappavattana Sutta

Bundokji

Post by Bundokji » Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:32 am

SarathW wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:39 am
Why insomnia a problem.
Why do you have to sleep if you are not sleepy?
Isn’t this garde now you have all time to practice?
:goodpost:
And the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus, saying: "Behold now, bhikkhus, I exhort you: All compounded things are subject to vanish. Strive with earnestness!"

This was the last word of the Tathagata.

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:15 pm

greggorious wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:36 am
I've had issues with insomnia my whole life, and while meditation can often help with my anxiety issues, I still have real problems with falling asleep.
What time of day do you eat your last meal? The Buddha ate one meal a day and this diet is catching on in modern times (one large meal around lunch time), even among non-Buddhists due to foods being poorly metabolized in the evening. Food is basically fuel and if you eat late (not saying you do, just asking), there is all that fuel in your body and it thinks it is time for work or exercise, not sleep.

greggorious

Post by greggorious » Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:14 pm

Thanks for all your replies and suggestions.

May you all be happy, at ease and free from suffering :namaste:
"The original heart/mind shines like pure, clear water with the sweetest taste. But if the heart is pure, is our practice over? No, we must not cling even to this purity. We must go beyond all duality, all concepts, all bad, all good, all pure, all impure. We must go beyond self and nonself, beyond birth and death. When we see with the eye of wisdom, we know that the true Buddha is timeless, unborn, unrelated to any body, any history, any image. Buddha is the ground of all being, the realization of the truth of the unmoving mind.” Ajahn Chah

Laurens

Post by Laurens » Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:28 am

Try to stay awake and keep your eyes wide open all night.

Reverse enthusiasm can be quite powerful for some people
"If only it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?"

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

_anicca_

Post by _anicca_ » Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:01 pm

Focus on breathing in a relaxing and calming way, relax the entire body, and then focus on the breath until you sleep.

Melatonin is a good dietary supplement you can take long term that induces sleep.
"A virtuous monk, Kotthita my friend, should attend in an appropriate way to the five clinging-aggregates as inconstant, stressful, a disease, a cancer, an arrow, painful, an affliction, alien, a dissolution, an emptiness, not-self."

:buddha1:

http://vipassanameditation.asia