The benefits of silence

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Re: The benefits of silence

Post by Sam Vara »

Saengnapha wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:03 am
I think you've been lost so don't blame it on me. :focus:
I'm not lost, and I'm not blaming anything on you.
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

Saengnapha wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:27 pm
Dinsdale wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:19 pm
Saengnapha wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:26 am You could say that I am looking at experience...
Which is pretty much what Buddhist insight practice entails.
I'm not trying to be rude or clever when I say most of the people that post here don't practice this way and are not really interested or 'ready' for insight. Insight is radical not therapeutic.
I'm still not clear how your approach to insight is substantially different from the Buddhist one. Looking at experience is certainly one way of describing satipatthana practice, for example.

Anyway, this is really another discussion, so :focus:

I'll post my comment above on one of your UG threads, maybe you could respond to it there?
Buddha save me from new-agers!
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

Saengnapha wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:19 am Have we established that Sam Vara is a fascist? I think a lot of his responses show this to be the case. But, maybe there is some intelligence in his point of view that we don't see? Perhaps the fascist right wing have it right. Are we mistaken?
I like to think I look great in Hugo Boss, but I don't see how any of the other defining characteristics apply to me. I'll PM you about the wisdom of posts like this and a couple of others you have made.
binocular

Post by binocular »

Saengnapha wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:19 amHave we established that Sam Vara is a fascist? I think a lot of his responses show this to be the case. But, maybe there is some intelligence in his point of view that we don't see? Perhaps the fascist right wing have it right. Are we mistaken?
In evolutionary terms, right-wing authoritarianism generally seems to be the more advantageous outlook on life to have.
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
binocular

Post by binocular »

EternalHindu wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:13 pm Hii,
The Benefit Of Silence
Improves Memory
Stimulates Brain Growth
Relieves Stress
Fights Insomnia
Heightens Sensitivity
Sensory deprivation or perceptual isolation[1] is the deliberate reduction or removal of stimuli from one or more of the senses. Simple devices such as blindfolds or hoods and earmuffs can cut off sight and hearing, while more complex devices can also cut off the sense of smell, touch, taste, thermoception (heat-sense), and 'gravity'. Sensory deprivation has been used in various alternative medicines and in psychological experiments (e.g. with an isolation tank).

Short-term sessions of sensory deprivation are described as relaxing and conducive to meditation; however, extended or forced sensory deprivation can result in extreme anxiety, hallucinations,[2] bizarre thoughts, temporarily senseless, and depression.[3]

A related phenomenon is perceptual deprivation, also called the Ganzfeld effect. In this case a constant uniform stimulus is used instead of attempting to remove the stimuli; this leads to effects which have similarities to sensory deprivation.[4]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sensory_deprivation
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!