benefits of cow urine

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
Dhammarakkhito

benefits of cow urine

Post by Dhammarakkhito »

https://www.hindustantimes.com/health-a ... SqPuK.html

Gomuttaparibhāvitaharitakādi, is it cow urine or some herbal medicine pickled in urine
whatever it is, it's prescribed in the canon so i think we should take a look and see how it is beneficial and not just off-handedly call it a superstition. what is it good for?
"Just as the ocean has a single taste — that of salt — in the same way, this Dhamma-Vinaya has a single taste: that of release."
— Ud 5.5

https://www.facebook.com/noblebuddhadha ... 34/?type=3

http://seeingthroughthenet.net/
https://sites.google.com/site/santipada ... allytaught
Dhammarakkhito

Re: benefits of cow urine

Post by Dhammarakkhito »

in theragatha and somewhere in the vinaya, right?
Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-05-09 at 17.39.03.png
Screen Shot 2018-05-09 at 17.39.03.png (23.34 KiB) Viewed 7233 times
Screen Shot 2018-05-09 at 17.39.10.png
Screen Shot 2018-05-09 at 17.39.10.png (23.47 KiB) Viewed 7233 times
Screen Shot 2018-05-09 at 17.39.18.png
Screen Shot 2018-05-09 at 17.39.18.png (15.17 KiB) Viewed 7233 times
"Just as the ocean has a single taste — that of salt — in the same way, this Dhamma-Vinaya has a single taste: that of release."
— Ud 5.5

https://www.facebook.com/noblebuddhadha ... 34/?type=3

http://seeingthroughthenet.net/
https://sites.google.com/site/santipada ... allytaught
dylanj

Post by dylanj »

Dhammarakkhito wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 10:40 pm in theragatha and somewhere in the vinaya, right?
ya

in mahākassapa's gāthā
Born, become, arisen – made, prepared, short-lived
Bonded by decay and death – a nest for sickness, perishable
Produced by seeking nutriment – not fit to take delight in

Departure from this is peaceful – beyond reasoning and enduring
Unborn, unarisen – free from sorrow and stain
Ceasing of all factors of suffering – stilling of all preparations is bliss
EternalHindu

Post by EternalHindu »

The benefit of Cow Urine
    • excellent germicide and kills a variety of germs
      Cow urine has a direct effect on the functioning of the liver
      Cow urine can meet the deficiency of the nutrients in the body as it has all the micronutrients in it that are required for a healthy life.
      Cow urine has many minerals especially copper, gold salts
dharmacorps

Post by dharmacorps »

I'll just throw in my 2 bits here as the resident medical person of the board and say that cow urine (which is usually fermented by the way, based on the canon) is not known to have any scientifically proven medical use. Urine by definition includes waste products from metabolism, and while usually sterile, it can have fecal bacteria in it. My guess is that fermented cow urine was a common, easily accessible home remedy in
Northern India at the time of the Buddha and that contentment with this as a medicinal treatment for any ailment was considered an act of humility. There was no statement unequivocally by the Buddha that cow urine works at healing diseases. Drinking cow urine, fermented or not, may not hurt you (although it could in the event of zoonotic diseases), but as far as helping, there is no scientific evidence it does that. And yes I looked it up. :)
markandeya

Post by markandeya »

Hi Dharmacorps,

I get your point and some caution should be applied. A couple of things to consider.

I am not sure whats is meant by science any more as information is changing all the time. Take coconut oil for example, it was all the rage couple of years back and then its not as good as they first thought. My verdict, coconut has been used in human history for good effects for a very long time.

Another examples is coffee, when the super foods drinks were becoming popular coffee sales dropped, then hey presto with some science coffee was then known as a healthy drink and super food, sales go up.

I am being objective here and just pointing out how we get some information that is not always consistent. I am part of science groups of a high degree who are exploring consciousness in science, so I am in no way anti science.

Most of the knowledge about cow urine and more natural methods are part of Ayurveda, which was widely practiced in Nalanda and other Northern universities where Buddha Dharma was prominent, although it was not called Buddhism back then. The cow has been a integral part of Indian life for as long as the culture has existed. And there is a way where they would process and dry the urine if used for medicine, taking it raw straight from the cow and consumed is rare and probably not correct to use that way as a medicine, raw cow urine can be used for other purposes like cleaning and as anti septic.

Now the real and most important issue is what is actually an original cow, there are pure breads and there are cows that are hybrids. India has a number of pure bred cows and all of the pure cows will have the hump on the back, this has direct relation to bringing positive properties from the sun. So I would be interested if the science on cow urine would have been done with the pure bred cows according to Ayurveda systems. Pure bred cows are said to be in 80% samadhi, even today Yogis will rest there forehead to the forehead of a pure cow to increase their meditation powers, science has a limitation to measure certain things.

Its the same with milk and dairy products, milk in Ayurveda is considered as pure medicine same with ghee if processed in the way as prescribed in Ayurveda and following the culture of ghoshala which means sheltering the cow or taking care of the cow as mata or mother, who was living symbol of Bhumi and all the devas. So the cows were always happy and loved and never exploited.In Ayurveda they say that if ghee is buried under the ground for 10 years it will cure almost any disease, apart from old age and death, which are only experiences anyway.

I wonder if any modern science has been done with those types of cows and the urine used in the scientific way as per Ayurveda. Taking urine and normal milk from hybrid cows and cows that are not from goshals culture will have a different property and the effects are different. With Milk and dairy products the effects on people are mixed and will not comply with everything in Ayurveda, simple because the cows are different and the quality milk is not the same and how the cow is being cared for. Maybe some science can be done on this, but in one sense there is no need to because its already been done.

I am not anti science, we need science, but science has to be exact and treat nature with respect to know how it benefits us without any harm to environment.

:namaste:
dharmacorps

Post by dharmacorps »

To each their own. Whether the cows are in 80 percent, 90 percent, or 100% samadhi, and their urine pickled, fermented, dried, or otherwise, there are no extra dhamma points for using something just because the Buddha may have mentioned it, especially when there are many other medications which do the job cow urine used to do-- but do it much better.
markandeya

Post by markandeya »

Hi Dharmacorpse

What are dharma points?

I think its debatable but maybe not here about the pros and cons of modern medicine.
mario92

Post by mario92 »

I once became ill from drinking urine, i think this is only for ascetism when you are in the forest with nothing to eat. I dont think is good for liver(i think it damages it), it can start a long term illness with parasits. Drinking urine is a last resort, you can cure maybe some infection, but daily can be dangerous.
dharmacorps

Post by dharmacorps »

markandeya wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:57 pm What are dharma points?
:toilet:

Its a grading system kept by celestial Boddhisattvas who tally efforts of modern Buddhists to follow the material aspects of life in ancient India rather than the practice of Buddhism.

Or, I was joking.

You decide which you like most.
TRobinson465

Post by TRobinson465 »

Interesting fact, according to my Nepalese friend. The reason people of the indian subcontinent consider cows to be sacred creatures is because of their various bodily uses. The medicinal uses of cow urine, cow dung for manure, and of course cow milk. And on top of that male cattle are often used for labor or transport.
"Do not have blind faith, but also no blind criticism" - the 14th Dalai Lama

"The Blessed One has set in motion the unexcelled Wheel of Dhamma that cannot be stopped by brahmins, devas, Maras, Brahmas or anyone in the cosmos." -Dhammacakkappavattana Sutta
Digity

Post by Digity »

Cow urine may have been used back then but that was 2000+ years ago. Whatever use cow urine may have, I'm sure you can find much better alternatives in this day and age.
pilgrim

Post by pilgrim »

I have an Indian doctor friend and he consistently highlights the quack medicine and alternative therapies such as homeopathy and ayurveda promoted by indian media, "scientific" establishments and even politicians. The old maxim - just because it is on the Internet....
markandeya

Post by markandeya »

pilgrim wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:06 am I have an Indian doctor friend and he consistently highlights the quack medicine and alternative therapies such as homeopathy and ayurveda promoted by indian media, "scientific" establishments and even politicians. The old maxim - just because it is on the Internet....
How is Ayurveda considered quack medicines, there is a lot more to it than just reading it just on the internet. I have followed Ayruveda system and many others I know and rarely if ever get sick. I cant even remember the last time I took any allopathic medicines. Balance is always best. I had sinusitis as a child and one weeks remedy in homeopathy given to me at a TIbetan Buddhist centre cured it and its never returned, followed and maintained by lifestyle changes to diet and excersise with the knowledge's of Ayruveda, they have a quite advanced system of understanding samkhya too.

TRaditiona medicines such as Ayurveda, Chinese medicines, Tibetan medicines and many other natural systems treat the patient not the symptoms, and promote a whole way of life, not just popping chemicals to deal with the symptoms which cause side effects. Most modern people choose short term remedies and rarely look to change their lifestyles.
pilgrim

Post by pilgrim »

markandeya wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:06 am
I have no doubt that some of the traditional prescriptions work. As an Asian, I used them when young. But the problem with much of alternative medicine sold commercially is the lack of control over its ingredients. Few people who take these things know what they are consuming.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2755247/

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/study-revea ... ed-animals