Prediabetes

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
No_Mind

Re: Prediabetes

Post by No_Mind »

lyndon taylor wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 3:13 pm No, but my weight gain is caused by medication I have to take effecting my metabolism, there's not much I can do about that, you don't have to lose weight to not get diabetes, diet change can be enough.
Okay. I found a good website https://www.diabetes.co.uk/

:namaste:
"The struggle itself toward the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy.”― Albert Camus
binocular

Post by binocular »

No_Mind wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 11:57 amWhat makes me annoyed is even with 16 cups of tea, I consume no more than 1810 calories daily and should be losing weight .. but I have gained weight steadily over past 10 years.
The body's metabolism tries to optimize itself all the time in that it tries to do more with less (which works to some extent). That's why even if one eats fewer calories, one won't necessarily lose weight, because the body will go a long way to adjust to less intake by trying to burn more efficiently what it does get.

Secondly, a calorie doesn't equal a calorie in that 100 calories from eating apples are, to the body, quite different than 100 calories from eating some potato chips. Calculating in calories is too simplistic.
Other than tea I consume less than 1500 calories daily and I should be slim if I go on eating what I eat but consume no tea
Actually, you might try to eat a bit more, and move a lot more.
Passive dieting (from calorie restriction) is very hard on the body and on the mind. That's why so few people are able to stick to it or get long-term results with it.
The easiest fat to lose is abdominal fat (which is also the most dangerous) -- but abdominal fat is lost most quickly with activity, not with calorie restriction.
I have set Saturday as the day to leave having sugar in tea .. first day will consume 6 cups with sugar or around 30 grams (cut it to 1/3rd) and then try to bring it down to 3 cups a day with sugar in 2-3 weeks (16 to 6 to 3 cups)
I don't want to be a negative Nancy -- but be prepared to find that you resent this restriction regimen. If you're used to drinking black tea with sugar, drinking it without sugar could emotionally rile you up to the point where you start taking your black tea with two sugars.
Try drinking something else altogether, like plain water, mineral water, water with lemon, home made fruit juice, herbal tea ...
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

In my case the culprit is an amazing 16 cups of tea (black with one sugar) daily :weep:
I used to take about ten cups with one sugar a day.
My sugar was high.
Now I drink on one tea in the morning and drink water for the rest of the day.
The problem solved.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
No_Mind

Post by No_Mind »

binocular wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 9:27 am
No_Mind wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 11:57 amI have set Saturday as the day to leave having sugar in tea .. first day will consume 6 cups with sugar or around 30 grams (cut it to 1/3rd) and then try to bring it down to 3 cups a day with sugar in 2-3 weeks (16 to 6 to 3 cups)
I don't want to be a negative Nancy -- but be prepared to find that you resent this restriction regimen. If you're used to drinking black tea with sugar, drinking it without sugar could emotionally rile you up to the point where you start taking your black tea with two sugars.
Try drinking something else altogether, like plain water, mineral water, water with lemon, home made fruit juice, herbal tea ...
16 or so cups of tea has same caffeine as 4 cups of coffee and I need the caffeine .. immediately I see no reason to surrender the caffeine.

Without low dose of caffeine I will climb the wall .. water or fruit juice or herbal tea does not provide caffeine. So it has to be 6 cups of tea tapered down to 3 or so in few weeks. 3-4 cups of tea is quite normal (20 grams of sugar). I will try and change to 6 cups with sucralose or something similar

I am long term user of Xanax .. residual Xanax in bloodstream and low dose caffeine from tea keeps me in perfect state of wakefulness .. alert but calm [I literally live in a chemically induced zen state .. last Saturday I was in a big car accident .. another car hit the one I was travelling in from the side (most Ubers here are low price vehicles and have only front air bags) .. my heart barely skipped a beat]

Altering the equilibrium would mean titrating down the Xanax too by trial and error .. if I have little or no caffeine I would need to leave Xanax as well and I doubt I can leave caffeine and Xanax at same time (I hate prediabetes but I do want my zen state)

"The struggle itself toward the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy.”― Albert Camus
Ron-The-Elder

Post by Ron-The-Elder »

No_Mind: "Any idea what I can do apart from diet and exercise (no meds of course at this stage)"
Diets are numerous. Most eventually stop working. The key to defeating type II diabetes is to keep your eyes and mind on your caloric intake and metabolic output, based on your body size and physical activity. Coloric output can then be modified by adding additional exercise, or by reducing your caloric input. Unless you are genetically predisposed to diabetes (type II) then you should have no problem and your diagnosis will eventually return to normal.

Type II Diabetes: https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Type_2_diabetes

Not sure about your gender, but women have a tendency to express diabetes when pregnant. So, there is that issue to deal with as well. Otherwise, stay away from sugars, and artificial sweeteners and don't allow your caloric intake to exceed your average metabolic output and you should be fine.

Gestational Diabetes:
https://medlineplus.gov/diabetesandpregnancy.html

One last point. As we age, our metabolic output slows, not only due to aging, but because our activity decreases. Exercise should then be increased to compensate. Find something that you enjoy doing and find a friend with whom to do it. :reading:

Basal Metabolic Rate: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basal_metabolic_rate
What Makes an Elder? :
A head of gray hairs doesn't mean one's an elder. Advanced in years, one's called an old fool.
But one in whom there is truth, restraint, rectitude, gentleness,self-control, he's called an elder, his impurities disgorged, enlightened.
-Dhammpada, 19, translated by Thanissaro Bhikkhu.
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

Hello there No_Mind,

Getting off the Xanax could be helpful along with better diet and exercise. It has many possible adverse effects ("possible" because individuals often react differently to the same drug) including increased appetite and weight gain.

You mentioned tapering yourself off it and this could be crucial. Benzodiazepines like Xanax are some of the most dangerous drugs to withdraw from---you can have seizures and die. Likelihood depends on how you withdraw, dosage, how long you've been taking them, and other factors. I strongly suggest seeing your healthcare provider about this so you can get help to do it safely. And if they can't help, find someone who can.

Best of luck. :heart:
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
No_Mind

Post by No_Mind »

Mkoll wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 9:17 am Hello there No_Mind,

Getting off the Xanax could be helpful along with better diet and exercise. It has many possible adverse effects ("possible" because individuals often react differently to the same drug) including increased appetite and weight gain.

You mentioned tapering yourself off it and this could be crucial. Benzodiazepines like Xanax are some of the most dangerous drugs to withdraw from---you can have seizures and die. Likelihood depends on how you withdraw, dosage, how long you've been taking them, and other factors. I strongly suggest seeing your healthcare provider about this so you can get help to do it safely. And if they can't help, find someone who can.

Hey Mkoll, after a long while :hug:

Unfortunately the Xanax is non-negotiable. I am on Xanax 0.5 mg every day from age 22 due to anxiety. At that time SSRIs (like Lexapro, Prozac) were not available so doctor had prescribed Xanax .. for several years I consumed Zoloft and Lexapro but have left SSRI last year .. they stop working after a decade.

I am going through a very anxious decade of my life. Leaving Xanax is out of the question. My dosage has never varied. My doctor keeps telling me to leave Xanax .. but it is more or less untouchable ..

I am a true insomniac and I need it to stay sane

sentinel

Post by sentinel »

Hi no mind ,

Maybe you can try reflexology . There is a point for pancreas at the bottom of your leg. Always massage or by applying pressure to it.
And you can boil corn silk to drink the water.
Both above helps the sugar level issue .
Exercise is a must though .

For imsonia have you try melatonin ?
Also reflexology , constantly massage both your
foot thumb can help getting sleep easier .

Actually , a lot of Chinese herbs can help diabetes especially early stage with total cure , with the regular proper exercise and diets .
Also it helps to overcome imsonia , but ,
both of that need Chinese physician monitoring if you want to recover and get well asap.
You always gain by giving
No_Mind

Post by No_Mind »

James Tan wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 3:28 pm Hi no mind ,

Maybe you can try reflexology . There is a point for pancreas at the bottom of your leg. Always massage or by applying pressure to it.
And you can boil corn silk to drink the water.
Both above helps the sugar level issue .
Exercise is a must though .

For imsonia have you try melatonin ?
Also reflexology , constantly massage both your
foot thumb can help getting sleep easier .

Actually , a lot of Chinese herbs can help diabetes especially early stage with total cure , with the regular proper exercise and diets .
Also it helps to overcome imsonia , but ,
both of that need Chinese physician monitoring if you want to recover and get well asap.
There was once a huge Chinatown in Calcutta .. with Chinese doctors and all .. but with China becoming wealthier than India they have gone away!! Chinatown is still there .. but no doctors .. only leather exporters

Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

No_Mind wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 2:57 pm
Mkoll wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 9:17 am Hello there No_Mind,

Hey Mkoll, after a long while :hug:

Unfortunately the Xanax is non-negotiable. I am on Xanax 0.5 mg every day from age 22 due to anxiety. At that time SSRIs (like Lexapro, Prozac) were not available so doctor had prescribed Xanax .. for several years I consumed Zoloft and Lexapro but have left SSRI last year .. they stop working after a decade.

I am going through a very anxious decade of my life. Leaving Xanax is out of the question. My dosage has never varied. My doctor keeps telling me to leave Xanax .. but it is more or less untouchable ..

I am a true insomniac and I need it to stay sane

Hi No_Mind,

If you become interested in other pharmacologic modalities for anxiety and insomnia, there have been many new treatments developed apart from benzodiazepines and SSRIs. There are always other options. Finding the right regimen is a trial and error process. But if you are fine with your treatment as it is, there may not be any reason to change it---as they say: if it ain't broke, don't fix it . Just know that it may be contributing to increased appetite and weight gain and thus your prediabetic status.
No_Mind

Post by No_Mind »

Mkoll wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 6:08 pm If you become interested in other pharmacologic modalities for anxiety and insomnia, there have been many new treatments developed apart from benzodiazepines and SSRIs. There are always other options. Finding the right regimen is a trial and error process. But if you are fine with your treatment as it is, there may not be any reason to change it---as they say: if it ain't broke, don't fix it . Just know that it may be contributing to increased appetite and weight gain and thus your prediabetic status.
The SSRI caused my weight gain .. in first two years I gained 20 kilos (44 lbs) and that caused my metabolism to slow down enough for me to gain another 15 kilos (33 lbs) over next 10 years even though I consumed very restricted diet of 2,000 calories.

I have given up SSRI for good .. after 10 or so years they stop working and I am more or less cured of my OCD (how do I suddenly get cured of life long disorders like alcoholism and OCD without any serious treatment I do not know!!)

As far as replacement for alprazolam/Xanax .. zolpidem/Ambien does not suit my needs .. I have used it for few weeks but it does not have desired effect on me.

I always keep my fingers crossed about one thing .. my insomnia may suddenly vanish (like the OCD and alcoholism) .. all three began at about the same age 21-23 .. OCD followed by insomnia followed by alcoholism and two have gone away (both went away suddenly without any substantial changes to my life)

Hopefully living on a sugar free diet will cause my weight to drop. This is the first week and I have been able to reduce my sugar consumption by 50%

I plan to give it up totally by end of this month.

cjmacie

Post by cjmacie »

No_Mind wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 5:17 pm I have prediabetes (HbA1C of 6.2)
"HbA1C of 6.2" – That's "6.2%". or mmol/L a bit more than 7.0 (mg/dL ca. 120 in USA measurement terms)?

That is actually a low-borderline level. It's called "pre-diabetes" these days under the influence of pharmaceutical industry's push to sell drugs. The notion that such a condition proceeds inevitably into full blown diabetes is a psychological ploy – as seen in the anxiety it causes you, which in turn dis-harmonizes the body's systems to indeed further such a progression.

1: Get re-tested. Your MD / practitioner hasn't mentioned that? Test results are often anomalous, erroneous. And evaluate relative to other perhaps out-of-normal-range blood, urine, etc. test results – i.e. careful differential diagnosis.

2: Watch out for getting lost in the flood of "advice" from all corners on generic remedies, especially about diet. There's rarely some single "magic bullet" factor that cures. Find an experienced (several decades) practitioner of classical Chinese medicine, or maybe Ayurveda, or nutritional counselor. (If Chinatown is still there in Calcutta, i.e. a population of offshore Chinese, there must be Chinese doctors around somewhere.)

Advice / treatment must take into account one's individual characteristics – body type, family and medical history, lifestyle, etc. Bell-curve type statistics are great for scientific characterization of entire populations, but often misleading in diagnosing individual cases. Many perfectly healthy, long-lived people have various measurements way off-center of the bell curve.

3: Yes. exercise, but some type involving mental/emotional (or "spiritual", if you will) stabilization as well as cardio-vascular etc. parameters. Look into QiGong / TaiJiQuan / Yoga with a competent teacher. (In Chinese tradition, such teachers were also medically trained.) Also "yoga" as the entire system – not just physical postures / exercise.

And, yes, meditation, e.g. on body parts and activities, tempered with equanimity, can open the door to realizations about habits and attitudes that feedback into harmonizing, curative processes. If not just calming the emotionally reactive panic that feed into further exacerbation of medical (and personal) problems.
No_Mind

Post by No_Mind »

cjmacie wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 9:58 am
No_Mind wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 5:17 pm I have prediabetes (HbA1C of 6.2)
"HbA1C of 6.2" – That's "6.2%". or mmol/L a bit more than 7.0 (mg/dL ca. 120 in USA measurement terms)?

That is actually a low-borderline level. It's called "pre-diabetes" these days under the influence of pharmaceutical industry's push to sell drugs. The notion that such a condition proceeds inevitably into full blown diabetes is a psychological ploy – as seen in the anxiety it causes you, which in turn dis-harmonizes the body's systems to indeed further such a progression.

1: Get re-tested. Your MD / practitioner hasn't mentioned that? Test results are often anomalous, erroneous. And evaluate relative to other perhaps out-of-normal-range blood, urine, etc. test results – i.e. careful differential diagnosis.
That is 6.2%. I will be getting retested but I have decided against doing that immediately. I will do it after a month of the first test on May 9 (non-hospital stay test expenses are not reimbursed by insurance here). Will be doing an old fashioned glucose fasting and PP every 2 months from mid-June which is the best way to be certain and a HbA1C every 6 months.

This test was part of screening of my liver, thyroid, complete blood count and kidney and everything else came back within normal range.
cjmacie wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 9:58 am 2: Watch out for getting lost in the flood of "advice" from all corners on generic remedies, especially about diet. There's rarely some single "magic bullet" factor that cures. Find an experienced (several decades) practitioner of classical Chinese medicine, or maybe Ayurveda, or nutritional counselor. (If Chinatown is still there in Calcutta, i.e. a population of offshore Chinese, there must be Chinese doctors around somewhere.)

Advice / treatment must take into account one's individual characteristics – body type, family and medical history, lifestyle, etc. Bell-curve type statistics are great for scientific characterization of entire populations, but often misleading in diagnosing individual cases. Many perfectly healthy, long-lived people have various measurements way off-center of the bell curve.
As far as traditional medicine goes I have decided to have bitter gourd juice (as suggested by Ven Pesala). It controls sugar very well but is awful tasting (which is why I am waiting a bit). I have faith in Chinese traditional medicine but the current practitioners of it in Calcutta maybe plain quacks and there is no way to verify.

These two weeks (mid to end May) I am focusing on giving up sugar entirely.

cjmacie

Post by cjmacie »

No_Mind wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 11:06 am ...
As far as traditional medicine goes I have decided to have bitter gourd juice (as suggested by Ven Pesala). It controls sugar very well but is awful tasting (which is why I am waiting a bit). I have faith in Chinese traditional medicine but the current practitioners of it in Calcutta maybe plain quacks and there is no way to verify.

These two weeks (mid to end May) I am focusing on giving up sugar entirely.
That seems a good direction. The bitter melon (Chinese kugua) is used more as a food but is known in classical Chinese medicine. (My former wife, from ShenYang in the PRC, used to cook it often in meals.) Here's info from that perspective:
http://www.acupuncturetoday.com/herbcen ... rmelon.php

Weaning off the sugar (in refined forms) should help too, as it's metabolically unbalancing. We get enough natural "sugars" in complex carbs and fruits to furnish the glucose that's basic to cellular metabolism.

Good luck! And don't forget to attend to the fear / worry side too. :yingyang: