Does meditation reduce your heart rate?

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Kim OHara

Re: Does meditation reduce your heart rate?

Post by Kim OHara »

SarathW wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:44 am Does meditation reduce your heart rate?
Not always, but relaxation reduces your heart rate and meditation reduces stress in the long term, i.e. it helps you to relax, so the simple answer is "yes".

:reading: :coffee: https://blog.ted.com/4-scientific-studi ... reativity/

:namaste:
Kim
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Heart rate can go very low like 10 – 20 tick per minutes during those 2 hours. Only world class athlete with tremendous training, self-control & dedication can reach may be 40 ticks as regular heartbeat. You can imagine how much heart will be relieved if it’s only ticking 1/3. No wonder heart, brain can work wonders whoever can achieve this rate.
Thanks Kim.
My heart rate has gone down to about 50 and my doctors are worry about it.
I do lot of meditation now days.
I just to know more from others.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

I watched the following video.
Not sure whether it is a gimmick.

Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

SarathW wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:12 am I watched the following video.
Not sure whether it is a gimmick.

This could be genuine but is more likely faked.

Our body needs those basic processes to keep going. Allowing them to slow down as you relax is one thing, and if you're healthy and relaxed they will be lower than "normal". Deliberately slowing your heartbeat is different - it is silly because it is dangerous, just like balancing on one foot over a cliff is silly.
It's the same with breathing and blood pressure, actually. A degree of conscious control is possible but not sensible.

:namaste:
Kim
dharmacorps

Post by dharmacorps »

It can lower blood pressure in some people, but it is not a cure all. As I began meditating more and more daily over the years, my blood pressure slowly went up, and I am now on medication for hypertension. Moral of that story is the body is not ours and we can't always control these things.
Digity

Post by Digity »

I measured my blood pressure not too long ago and it was 107. I've never seen it that low. Not sure how much to attribute to meditation, exercise, diet...it's probably a combination of all three.
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

Digity wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 1:20 am I measured my blood pressure not too long ago and it was 107. I've never seen it that low. Not sure how much to attribute to meditation, exercise, diet...it's probably a combination of all three.
As you say, probably a combination - but :twothumbsup: anyway.
Mine is usually between 115 and 125, not that it is measured very often. Once or twice it has been up in the 130s but mainly because I was tressed at the time it was measured.

:coffee:
Kim
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

I have a blood pressure monitoring machine.
You can buy one for about $30.00
The normal reading should be around 120/80 (systolic/diastolic) and heart rate should be around 60.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Exercise, especially aerobic exercise is good, as it makes the heart more efficient and beat less during rest times. It is true that exercise makes the heart beat very fast, but that is for a very short, limited amount of time while exercising. At other times it beats much less, "saving" heart beats per day, year, etc.

For someone living a long life, the heart beats around 3.3 billion times per lifetime (factoring out those who die young from disease or trauma). If the heart became efficient and had an average heart rate of 60 beats per minute, it would take 104 years to finish that average amount of beats per life for a human (who lives long, doesn't die of some traumatic event).