Constant lack of energy

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
retrofuturist

Re: Constant lack of energy

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
Kim OHara wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:53 pm I have a vague memory that one of our admin team suffered the same thing a few years ago. If I'm right, he may like to join the conversation.
Here in Melbourne, I feel the impacts of it for about 2-4 weeks per Winter. I expect it would be less if I lived closer to the equator, and more if I lived further away.

Even now in Autumn at work I try to get a seat by a window in order to maximize the amount of natural light I get. In the absence of natural light, I recommend GoLiteBLU, making the effort to get out for walks (even if you've got to rug up to do so) and somewhat paradoxically, keeping as warm as you can.

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
User1249x

Post by User1249x »

A lot of snakeoil advice ITT.

Basically what you are dealing with is an addiction to the pleasure of lying down, the pleasure of reclining, the pleasure of drowsiness.

No sunshine or vitamins will help you unless you kick that addiction.

Of course you can override it with excitement or other kinds of stimuli but those efforts are futile and have great drawbacks, might as well go for amphetamines if you want to go that way.

Kicking the habit, mastering inception of energy and ultimately overcoming the hindrances is how you deal with it.

Which is seemingly impossible for worldlings immersed in craving, bound by self-indentification with states and not seeing the proper escape due to not practicing what they should practice and practicing what they should not practice.

gldd
Meezer77

Post by Meezer77 »

I've considered a lamp, and apparently sun beds help too though those aren't so great for your skin. I'm saving up to go to Goa in December, though a taxi driver I met from India advised me not to as it's mainly drugs and parties which isn't my thing. But it can't be all that surely? I'm not entirely sure if it's SAD because I'm not entirely incapacitated, I mean I'm able to post on here eh? I've managed to stay off anti depressants for about 4 years now and it would hurt my ego to go back on them.
Meezer77

Post by Meezer77 »

User1249x wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:05 am

Of course you can override it with excitement or other kinds of stimuli but those efforts are futile and have great drawbacks, might as well go for amphetamines if you want to go that way.
Seriously? Amphetamines are just as good as Zumba or Netflix?
User1249x

Post by User1249x »

Meezer77 wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:13 am

One is addicted to the pleasure of drowsiness, using it to cope with human state, one resorts to it when connected with the unpleasant. It is confirmed to release neurotransmitters connected with pleasure and satisfaction, one is probably also enjoying sleeping and lazy stretching. Longing for vecations - that is also craving, longing for otherwise existence... Zumba and netflix are just more addictions one cultivates, more or less to release the same chemicals. One could micro-dose Amphetamines and achieve the same effect of wakefulness and all of these addictions have drawbacks including amphetamines but it would save yone a lot of time and it is easier to achieve the effect of wakefulness, to that extent it is better. That being said i do not recommend it, i was making a point.

Give serotonin+drowsiness+sleep+dopamine+sleep+regulation a google search, science has obviously not figured it out, but all research will support the Sutta explaination of orgination of drowsiness. I do not say it is the only reason for lack of energy, there is a comperhensive list in the Sutta.

There are absolutely no conclusive studies linking D3 to alertness.

Before one blames the lack of sun for sleepiness, consider this;
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldn ... ussia.html
Seventy members of an Islamist sect who have been living in an underground bunker without heat or sunlight for nearly a decade have been discovered living on the outskirts of the city of Kazan in Russia.
Some of the children, aged between 1 and 17, have never seen daylight, health officials said.
Last edited by User1249x on Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:23 am, edited 10 times in total.
Meezer77

Post by Meezer77 »

User1249x wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:34 am

Not worth debating. It is sad that it is the only part of my post you could relate to, clearly triggered by the rest of it. Let me rub it in with lotion, you are addicted to the pleasure of drowsiness, you use it to cope with human state, you resort to it when you are connected with the unpleasant. It is confirmed to release neurotransmitter connected with pleasure and satisfaction, you are also probably enjoy sleeping. You are longing for vecations that is also craving, longing for otherwise existence...

Ah right I understand now, cheers :anjali:
User1249x

Post by User1249x »

Meezer77 wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:47 am
I apologize for the aggro tone. Avoiding conflict is also one of the recommended means of conserving energy.
User1249x wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:03 pm Avoiding drowsiness/Sluggishness, conservation & arousal energy by skillful means;
"As soon as you wake up, get up quickly, with the thought, 'I won't stay indulging in the pleasure of lying down, the pleasure of reclining, the pleasure of drowsiness.' That is how you should train yourself." Capala (Pacala) Sutta: Nodding
“Here, bhikkhus, extolling and disparaging and failure to teach only the Dhamma is a state beset by suffering … and it is the wrong way. Therefore this is a state with conflict.

“Here, bhikkhus, not extolling and not disparaging and teaching only the Dhamma is a state without suffering … and it is the right way. Therefore this is a state without conflict.
(excerpt from MN 139 Araṇavibhanga Sutta - The Exposition of Non-Conflict)
"Furthermore, Moggallana, should you train yourself: 'I will speak no confrontational speech.' That is how you should train yourself. When there is confrontational speech, a lot of discussion can be expected. When there is a lot of discussion, there is restlessness. One who is restless becomes unrestrained. Unrestrained, his mind is far from concentration.
(excerpt from AN7.58)
3. Sloth and Torpor
A. Nourishment of Sloth and Torpor

There arises listlessness, lassitude, lazy stretching of the body, drowsiness after meals, mental sluggishness; frequently giving unwise attention to it — this is the nourishment for the arising of sloth and torpor that have not yet arisen and for the increase and strengthening of sloth and torpor that have already arisen.

— SN 46:51
B. Denourishing of Sloth and Torpor

There is the element of rousing one's energy, the element of exertion, the element of continuous exertion; frequently giving wise attention to it — this is the denourishing of the arising of sloth and torpor that have not yet arisen and of the increase and strengthening of sloth and torpor that have already arisen.

— SN 46:51

"May nothing remain but skin and sinews and bones; may flesh and blood dry up in the body! Not before having achieved what can be achieved by manly strength, manly energy, manly exertion shall my energy subside!"

— MN 70

Six things are conducive to the abandonment of sloth and torpor:

Knowing that overeating is a cause of it;
Changing the bodily posture;
Thinking of the perception of light;
Staying in the open air;
Noble friendship;
Suitable conversation.

These things, too, are helpful in conquering sloth and torpor:

The recollection of Death

To-day the effort should be made,
Who knows if tomorrow Death will come?

— MN 131

Perceiving the suffering in impermanence

In a monk who is accustomed to see the suffering in impermanence and who is frequently engaged in this contemplation, there will be established in him such a keen sense of the danger of laziness, idleness, lassitude, indolence and thoughtlessness, as if he were threatened by a murderer with drawn sword.
Last edited by User1249x on Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:35 am, edited 3 times in total.
User1249x

Post by User1249x »

perkele wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:32 am
User1249x wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:05 amOf course you can override it with excitement or other kinds of stimuli but those efforts are futile and have great drawbacks, might as well go for amphetamines if you want to go that way.
User1249x wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:34 amNot worth debating. It is sad that it is the only part of my post you could relate to, clearly triggered by the rest of it. Let me rub it in with lotion, you are addicted to the pleasure of drowsiness, you use it to cope with human state, you resort to it when you are connected with the unpleasant.
FFS, your arrogant behaviour is simply disgusting, Mr. ignoble one. If I were beside you I would like to punch you very hard. You are a despicable creature.
User1249x wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:11 am I apologize for the aggro tone.
Honestly, your casual apologies are vain and your behaviour inexcusable. You are the only person I have met so far online to whom really all the criteria for ignoring someone completely would apply. Hypocrite!

Hope this insult will remain standing long enough that this stupid asshole can read it publically before deleting it for violation of TOS. I don't want to converse with him by personal message but wish he could at least see this once publically.

(BTW. I think TOS about "no insults" is not good. Sometimes insulting people is necessary.)
At least i am right tho. No more teaching for you i guess, so don't bother begging me for it again. If you want to ignore me completely you can, and i don't care AT ALL but i explain the Dhamma "Much clearer and better than you ever could have expected" so it is clearly not my loss if we don't talk. You frankly with your pseudoscience... i can do without.
Last edited by User1249x on Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User1249x

Post by User1249x »

Anyway OP good luck with your quest!

I will be signing out, this forum is no place for people who know and see.
perkele wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:47 pm Of course you are not obligated to share with us what you (supposedly) know. And I won't beg you for it anymore.
Yep i am not obligated at all :)
Last edited by User1249x on Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thadubz

Post by thadubz »

User1249x wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:05 am A lot of snakeoil advice ITT.

Basically what you are dealing with is an addiction to the pleasure of lying down, the pleasure of reclining, the pleasure of drowsiness.

No sunshine or vitamins will help you unless you kick that addiction.

gldd
While i do agree with some of what you are saying and do understand that the health benefits of vitamin D are debatable if you seriously think advicing someone to see a doctor when they show persistent symptoms that effect their quality of life is a "snakeoil advice" as you put it i dont know what to tell you. Also drowsiness can be a symptom of a number of disorders & diseases not just "laziness" and "pleasure of lying down".
User1249x

Post by User1249x »

thadubz wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:15 pm Drowsiness can be a symptom of a number of disorders & diseases not just "laziness" and "pleasure of lying down".
I can't be arsed debating this, i presented the Sutta position assuming i am not talking to some drugged up anemic cancer patient undergoing chemo-therapy. Snake oil referent was the supposed link between vitamin D and chronic fatigue.
User1249x

Post by User1249x »

perkele wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:00 pm Oh, come on... you are surely one easy to get conceited by some praise.
I am same as i was on that day more or less, on that day you also accused me of being stingy and arrogant before apologizing and complimenting me. It is you who blamed then praised my wisdoms, now blaming me again and saying i am stupid, you are being inconsistent in that regard... Next time you have a problem you can't solve and if i were to solve it for you, you will be praising me again. This is how it goes, that is how the world rolls.
perkele wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:00 pm You're not right. You are f*** dumb.
Evidently i am smarter than you as my understanding and verbalization of things is;
perkele wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:54 pm Much clearer and better than I ever could have expected.
How is that Brahmajala Sutta study going?
studying the Brahmajala sutta more deeply, which beyond the points you explained still raises more questions for me than it answers
Still more questions than answers? Aww...
Honestly i get triggered too, not as much as you tho.
Last edited by User1249x on Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
thadubz

Post by thadubz »

User1249x wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:28 pm
thadubz wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:15 pm Drowsiness can be a symptom of a number of disorders & diseases not just "laziness" and "pleasure of lying down".
I can't be arsed debating this, i presented the Sutta position assuming i am not talking to some drugged up anemic cancer patient undergoing chemo-therapy. Snake oil referent was the supposed link between vitamin D and chronic fatigue.
This is why you should quote the post that you are referring to. I also do not wish to debate because your aggressive tone is very offputting. When you refer to my older post you can clearly see that i didnt claim the effects of vitamin D were completely proven and i still emphasize seeking medical assistance from medical experts not from internet forums.
User1249x

Post by User1249x »

thadubz wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:44 pm
User1249x wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:28 pm
This is why you should quote the post that you are referring to. I also do not wish to debate because your aggressive tone is very offputting. When you refer to my older post you can clearly see that i didnt claim the effects of vitamin D were completely proven and i still emphasize seeking medical assistance from medical experts not from internet forums.
Yes i should cite the posts, should not put other people's posts down and exalt myself, should not be aggro nor arrogant, should not react to heresy or insults, should abstain from confrontational speech and should not own perkele.

I should not call it snakeoil either because it does have it's specific functions and malfunctioning of those mechanisms will manifest physical effects. It is most overrated and hyped up tho. It also takes away attention from the addiction side of it. I am just having a bad time on the forum and i will take a break if you are done with this discussion.
Meezer77

Post by Meezer77 »

So has anyone been to or would recommend Goa? I ate lots of healthy food yesterday and am feeling a bit more positive today. Maybe placebo effect. Just met a friend for coffee and on the way back bought some almond milk.