Anxiety

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
DCM

Anxiety

Post by DCM »

Hi. I have been having a constant pain across my chest area for around 3 years. It gets worse when stress increases and is mainly around the physical heart area, but can go across the chest to the other side at the same time.

The pain with stress is around 3 out of 10 and without stress around 1 out of 10, but this is constant. I used to suffer quite badly from anxiety and although that has dissipated some what it is still dormant and can arise every so often.

I had a panic attack 3 years ago and had a check up in hospital which showed everything okay on the ECG and Echo, although I do sometimes have palpitations.

I have had other tests recently as it bugging me and they have come back all clear. I believe this is a manifestation of anxiety as I am probably over focusing on the area, but I am concerned I may be causing myself some damage, and realise I am maybe attaching to my body in a subtle way too much, even though I don’t believe I am!

Has anyone else suffered this and has anyone got any suggestions to help or what else it could be? From a supernatural POV could it be a spirit attaching to me as I have had some very vivid dreams in the past of evil spirits attatching to me, although at the time I was suffering with anxiety quite badly. Thank you in advance.
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Re: Anxiety

Post by Sam Vara »

Hi DCM,

You've done the right thing to get this checked out professionally. If it gets worse or the symptoms change, please make sure you get yourself to a doctor again.

There is apparently a strong link between stress levels and chest pain. Have a look at this site, which seems quite reasonable:
http://www.anxietycentre.com/anxiety/sy ... iety.shtml

And this one, which has some good recommendations:
https://www.calmclinic.com/anxiety/symptoms/chest-pain

You might like to follow up some other complementary therapies which alleviate stress, and of course breath meditation or other forms of Samatha would be a good practice as well.

I wouldn't worry about supernatural causes. If you have enough stress to cause chest pain, then you have enough to cause weird dreams. They are just another symptom, which will probably go away with more relaxation and calm.
Saengnapha

Post by Saengnapha »

DCM wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:17 pm Hi. I have been having a constant pain across my chest area for around 3 years. It gets worse when stress increases and is mainly around the physical heart area, but can go across the chest to the other side at the same time.

The pain with stress is around 3 out of 10 and without stress around 1 out of 10, but this is constant. I used to suffer quite badly from anxiety and although that has dissipated some what it is still dormant and can arise every so often.

I had a panic attack 3 years ago and had a check up in hospital which showed everything okay on the ECG and Echo, although I do sometimes have palpitations.

I have had other tests recently as it bugging me and they have come back all clear. I believe this is a manifestation of anxiety as I am probably over focusing on the area, but I am concerned I may be causing myself some damage, and realise I am maybe attaching to my body in a subtle way too much, even though I don’t believe I am!

Has anyone else suffered this and has anyone got any suggestions to help or what else it could be? From a supernatural POV could it be a spirit attaching to me as I have had some very vivid dreams in the past of evil spirits attatching to me, although at the time I was suffering with anxiety quite badly. Thank you in advance.
I wouldn't presume to diagnose you from the scanty information that you give, but you might want to go to a hospital where they will give you a full physical with emphasis on your digestive system. This tightness around the chest area is often associated with digestive problems, pre-ulcer symptoms, acid reflux, and what they call plain ol' heartburn.
binocular

Post by binocular »

DCM wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:17 pmI have had other tests recently as it bugging me and they have come back all clear.
Have you been tested for internal parasites? Standard tests don't look for those. Chest pain can be a symptom of some parasites living in the lung.

Sorry to bring this up ...
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
DCM

Post by DCM »

binocular wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:49 pm
DCM wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:17 pmI have had other tests recently as it bugging me and they have come back all clear.
Have you been tested for internal parasites? Standard tests don't look for those. Chest pain can be a symptom of some parasites living in the lung.

This would usually lead being susceptible to infections and draining of the immune system, which would probably be evident in me over 3 years. But I’m very strong physically, this is my only problem.
DCM

Post by DCM »

Saengnapha wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:39 pm
DCM wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:17 pm Hi. I have been having a constant pain across my chest area for around 3 years. It gets worse when stress increases and is mainly around the physical heart area, but can go across the chest to the other side at the same time.

I wouldn't presume to diagnose you from the scanty information that you give, but you might want to go to a hospital where they will give you a full physical with emphasis on your digestive system. This tightness around the chest area is often associated with digestive problems, pre-ulcer symptoms, acid reflux, and what they call plain ol' heartburn.
I’ve had a very thorough and full health check up as I’m looking to be a donor, and the doctors have said I’m very fit and healthy, well above average for my age.
DCM

Post by DCM »

Sam Vara wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:53 pm Hi DCM,

You've done the right thing to get this checked out professionally. If it gets worse or the symptoms change, please make sure you get yourself to a doctor again.

There is apparently a strong link between stress levels and chest pain. Have a look at this site, which seems quite reasonable:
http://www.anxietycentre.com/anxiety/sy ... iety.shtml

And this one, which has some good recommendations:
https://www.calmclinic.com/anxiety/symptoms/chest-pain

You might like to follow up some other complementary therapies which alleviate stress, and of course breath meditation or other forms of Samatha would be a good practice as well.

I wouldn't worry about supernatural causes. If you have enough stress to cause chest pain, then you have enough to cause weird dreams. They are just another symptom, which will probably go away with more relaxation and calm.
Yes, I’m quite sure it’s the remnants of anxiety as the anxiety used to manifest as sweating but now seems to be chest pain. Thanks for the link. I should have said that there are short periods of time when the pain is non manifest.
binocular

Post by binocular »

DCM wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:14 pmYes, I’m quite sure it’s the remnants of anxiety as the anxiety used to manifest as sweating but now seems to be chest pain. Thanks for the link. I should have said that there are short periods of time when the pain is non manifest.
How is your posture and your gait? Do you slouch? That can lead to constrictions in the body.
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
dharmacorps

Post by dharmacorps »

binocular wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:49 pm

I know you don't like parasites, binocular, but I've never heard of these causing chest pain. Especially in someone from Wales, which isn't exactly the kind of tropical environment you would ever see parasitic infections...
DCM

Post by DCM »

binocular wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:45 pm
DCM wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:14 pmYes, I’m quite sure it’s the remnants of anxiety as the anxiety used to manifest as sweating but now seems to be chest pain. Thanks for the link. I should have said that there are short periods of time when the pain is non manifest.
How is your posture and your gait? Do you slouch? That can lead to constrictions in the body.
I do have to correct my posture at times, my job involves quite a bit of driving and when I’m not mindful I will then notice my bad posture.
binocular

Post by binocular »

dharmacorps wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:50 pmI know you don't like parasites, binocular, but I've never heard of these causing chest pain.
If they live in the lungs and make it hard for one to breathe, and one automatically constricts the chest because of that.
(And one can get various internal parasites from pets and eating pork, regardless of the climate one lives in.)

(And no, I'm not going to go look up exact data, I'm too grossed out.)
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
aflatun

Post by aflatun »

DCM wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:17 pm ...

This is impossible to do appropriately over the internet...

but based on what you're saying it sounds very probable that its anxiety, and in answer to your questions its extremely common for it to manifest that way, and its something I've experienced myself. There's nothing strange about it. Its a routine cause of emergency room visits that leads to cardiac and other work ups. People can have full blown left upper extremity and jaw numbness, etc, perfect mimic for an acute coronary syndrome.

You've done the right thing by ruling out other causes, so I would try and address the anxiety as best you can and not worry about "physical" causes (but of course get checked out again if there is any doubt). Parasites would be at the very bottom of my differential diagnosis.

Based on my own experience with similar problems, (feel free to ignore all of this if it makes no sense or doesn't help):

Learn to breathe abdominally and make this a 24/7 thing. Keep some peripheral awareness, even 1%, "in your abdomen." at all times, like your life depends on it, while keeping your awareness totally broad and diffuse. Instead of home base being 2 inches behind your eye balls like it is for most people, make home base your abdomen. Relax your core with abandon...let it completely drop if you know what I mean. Slow exhales through the mouth help.

Also experiment with keeping your eyes open and totally relaxed and receptive but fixed on empty space when you do formal meditation, regardless of what you're approach is. This will spill over into ordinary actives. For some reason it seems to work magic for stressed out anxious types, but this is really anecdotal at this point, apologies for that...

Best wishes!

PS Regarding the supernatural, as a believer in such things I would advise you to 'not go there' if you know what I mean.
"People often get too quick to say 'there's no self. There's no self...no self...no self.' There is self, there is focal point, its not yours. That's what not self is."

Ninoslav Ñāṇamoli
Senses and the Thought-1, 42:53

"Those who create constructs about the Buddha,
Who is beyond construction and without exhaustion,
Are thereby damaged by their constructs;
They fail to see the Thus-Gone.

That which is the nature of the Thus-Gone
Is also the nature of this world.
There is no nature of the Thus-Gone.
There is no nature of the world."

Nagarjuna
MMK XXII.15-16
DCM

Post by DCM »

aflatun wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:44 pm
DCM wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:17 pm ...

This is impossible to do appropriately over the internet...

but based on what you're saying it sounds very probable that its anxiety, and in answer to your questions its extremely common for it to manifest that way, and its something I've experienced myself. There's nothing strange about it. Its a routine cause of emergency room visits that leads to cardiac and other work ups. People can have full blown left upper extremity and jaw numbness, etc, perfect mimic for an acute coronary syndrome.

You've done the right thing by ruling out other causes, so I would try and address the anxiety as best you can and not worry about "physical" causes (but of course get checked out again if there is any doubt). Parasites would be at the very bottom of my differential diagnosis.

Based on my own experience with similar problems, (feel free to ignore all of this if it makes no sense or doesn't help):

Learn to breathe abdominally and make this a 24/7 thing. Keep some peripheral awareness, even 1%, "in your abdomen." at all times, like your life depends on it, while keeping your awareness totally broad and diffuse. Instead of home base being 2 inches behind your eye balls like it is for most people, make home base your abdomen. Relax your core with abandon...let it completely drop if you know what I mean. Slow exhales through the mouth help.

Also experiment with keeping your eyes open and totally relaxed and receptive but fixed on empty space when you do formal meditation, regardless of what you're approach is. This will spill over into ordinary actives. For some reason it seems to work magic for stressed out anxious types, but this is really anecdotal at this point, apologies for that...

Best wishes!

PS Regarding the supernatural, as a believer in such things I would advise you to 'not go there' if you know what I mean.
Thanks Aflatun, that’s sound advice, I’ve tried focusing on some deep breathing at the abdominal area and it does seem to help, but my efforts had been sporadic, I’ll try a little more in line with your advice.

The bit on keeping meditating with your eyes open and fixed on empty space, why do you recommend that?

As an aside I’ve recently been drawn to Bhikkhu Ninoslav Ñāṇamoli teachings and Ñāṇavīra Thera. I’ve looked through Ñāṇavīra Thera‘s Clearing the Path and read Bhikkhu Ninoslav Ñāṇamoli essays, and for the first time since starting practising I’ve found a way of approaching the Dhamma that feels right for me. There’s a lot of terminology I don’t fully understand yet but the way I was approaching before just felt to dry. How do you find their approach, perhaps you can articulate it better as you’ve followed them longer.
binocular

Post by binocular »

DCM wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:21 pmAs an aside I’ve recently been drawn to Bhikkhu Ninoslav Ñāṇamoli teachings and Ñāṇavīra Thera. I’ve looked through Ñāṇavīra Thera‘s Clearing the Path and read Bhikkhu Ninoslav Ñāṇamoli essays, and for the first time since starting practising I’ve found a way of approaching the Dhamma that feels right for me.
Have you also listened to the mp3 Dhamma talks by Ven. N. Nyanamoli?
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
DCM

Post by DCM »

binocular wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:30 pm
DCM wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:21 pmAs an aside I’ve recently been drawn to Bhikkhu Ninoslav Ñāṇamoli teachings and Ñāṇavīra Thera. I’ve looked through Ñāṇavīra Thera‘s Clearing the Path and read Bhikkhu Ninoslav Ñāṇamoli essays, and for the first time since starting practising I’ve found a way of approaching the Dhamma that feels right for me.
Have you also listened to the mp3 Dhamma talks by Ven. N. Nyanamoli?
Yes, I am finding them really helpful in explaining the Dhamma from a phenomenalogical pov. I’m not well read on philosophical theories so I’m not going to pretend I do, but this way is helping me focus my mind and have a better understand of Dhamma topics like paticcasamuppada.