Buddhist solution to anxiety

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
sentinel

Re: Buddhist solution to anxiety

Post by sentinel »

santa100 wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:03 pm
No_Mind wrote:If John was a Catholic and went to a padre the padre would ask him to pray.

If John was a Musilm and went to an Imam or maulvi the Imam/maulvi would ask him to pray.

If John was a Buddhist .. what should John do ..
He should also pray... and do a few more things as suggested in the great posts above. Beside the usual benefits of cultivating insight, anapanasati, mindfulness, etc. there's an often neglected but quite obvious and practical benefit: keeping a cool head, an absolute vital prerequisite for effective problem solving. Simply recognizing this fact would already put John in the right direction and uses his mind to assess the situation and fix it. Brainstorming various possible approaches: doing partial incremental payments to avoid taking an extra loan; have the kids apply for scholarships and go to 2-year Community colleges while working part time at their college for extra cash; get extra income by doing multiple side jobs beside the main job, which should provide medical insurance and other types of insurances, etc. Since the situation is unique to him, he himself must come up with creative and flexible strategies to fix it. And he'd better remember that anxiety is one of the biggest hindrances to effective problem solving. Improvise, adapt, and overcome is the way to go.
:goodpost:

Anyway , anxiety came from money problem , meditation won't help .
You always gain by giving
sentinel

Post by sentinel »

No_Mind wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:29 am I have never been able to watch past first ten minutes of this video .. though I have tried a dozen times.

Ajahn Sona says .. there are no anxious thoughts but you feel anxiety while you are thinking thoughts (I may have misunderstood him) .. what does it mean?

:namaste:
When you are Anxious , there is agitation inside your mind which is a kind of experience and following it is thinking about it .
You always gain by giving
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

binocular wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:48 am
No_Mind wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:28 am Is there a way that Buddhism and Buddhist meditation can help us with anxiety?
An essay on the topic of anxiety by Bkikkhuu Bodhi.
Thanks, a good read.

"But to go beyond anxiety we must let go now — not, of course, by a premature act of renunciation, which in many cases might even be harmful or self-destructive — but by wearing away the clinging, attachment, and acquisitiveness that lie within as the buried root of fear."
Buddha save me from new-agers!