Dumbbell Training

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
No_Mind

Dumbbell Training

Post by No_Mind »

Does anyone here do weight training? Can you suggest a good dumbbell routine for beginners? The ones on YouTube are far too advanced for my fitness level. I cannot afford a personal trainer.

Let me describe my need -

I want to lose weight but have no access to running .. too high temp and humidity for run in afternoon and I am not free to go out for a run in the morning .. also I do not want to run since I am heavy and self conscious of running with a large girth.

I have been toying with a schedule of push ups, sit ups, leg raises, free squats, calf raises but feel they are not enough. I am too fat to skip rope and have no access to a motorized treadmill.

I will like to add some dumbbell work since I have a pair of dumbbell rods (adjustable) and have following plates

2.5 kilo x 4
2 x 4
1.25 x 4
1 x 4

Making it possible for me to create dumbbells from 2 kilos to 13.5 kilos (each hand).

I also have a pair of 5 kilos and a 4 ft barbell bar which I would like to use for some compound movements like clean and press and squat and military press.

:namaste:
"The struggle itself toward the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy.”― Albert Camus
Alīno

Re: Dumbbell Training

Post by Alīno »

Practicing some body building at time, i can perhaps help you.

1. You have to find on the web some calculator who can tell you how much kcal you need per day
2. The best way to loose a fat (weight is not what you have to watch because a muscle is havier then fat) is to not rush it. To lose a weight durably you have to deminish you caloric apport about 10%, thats all. So while you will foud your caloric needs (1800ckal?) you have to sustract 10%.
3. you habe to know that our organism need : 2g or protein per 1kg of weight; and 1g of protein of lipides per 1kg of weight.
1g of lipides is 9ckal (fat)
1g of protein is 4ckal
1g of glucides is 4ckal (sugar)
1g of alcohool is 7ckal

So you have your caloric need per day, you know how much proteines and lipides you need, you know how muck kcal is represent. Number of calories what you have after that have to be comleted by glucides...

You make yourself a daily menu and you practice your discipline :))

What you habe to know too is that fat growth comes from glucides, not lipides.

I hope it will help you.
Metta !
Ajahn Nanadassano (before ordaining) : Venerable Ajahn, what is the bigest error that buddhist do in their practice?
Ajahn Jayasaro : They stop practicing ...
Justsit

Post by Justsit »

The quickest, most efficient way to lose weight is the old standby, diet + exercise. You need both.

Nwad gave some good diet recommendations. Pay particular attention to cutting carbs and increasing protein.

The best exercise is one that will increase your heart rate and keep it elevated for a minimum of twenty minutes, at least 3x/week. The easiest way to start is plain walking. You can also try cycling (regular or stationary), swimming, calisthenics, stair-climbing, rowing, jumping rope - really, it can be anything that gets the rate up and keeps it up.

Weight lifting is geared more towards developing muscle mass and tone, and as such is not very effective as a primary weight loss strategy.

That being said, I do some weight training, emphasis on upper body and abs. I do woodcutters, russian twists, side planks,
bicycle crunches, spiderman crunches, mountain climbers, dips, push-ups, squats, deadlifts to press, curls, triceps curls, rows, jumping jacks, and probably a few more I missed. I mix these up, several times a week. You can look on YouTube for directions on how to do these. I have three sets of dumbbells, no other equipment (except a bicycle), and do not belong to a gym.

I also walk 2 miles/day and do yoga for flexibility. I try to do some type of exercise daily; in bad weather I work out indoors. I have been vegetarian for 36 years; am 65 years old, 5'6", and weigh 115 lbs. (fine boned). I mention these things not as "virtue signaling" but to show you that it is possible to maintain an effective diet and exercise routine without much cost or inconvenience.

Good luck!
denise

Post by denise »

hello all...have had positive results with simply avoiding dairy and bread....don't be too hard on yourself but just "avoid" these two things....(would really like a piece of cake...confession is good for the soul... :tongue: ) as for weight training you must learn what to do, how much to do, and when to do....doesn't need a special place or equipment for most....but do learn the ins and outs of weight training....and walk walk walk if able...be well....d
bodom

Post by bodom »

FB_IMG_1518967880007.jpg
FB_IMG_1518967880007.jpg (26.68 KiB) Viewed 6296 times
I built my physique using mainly dumbbells as I have a shoulder problem and barbells limited what I could do. I would be happy to give you a workout advice and diet plan.

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Justsit wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:21 pm Weight lifting is geared more towards developing muscle mass and tone, and as such is not very effective as a primary weight loss strategy.
I agree with justsit, weightlifting is a great exercise, but it's more about muscle mass and tone, not so much for weight loss. However, I have heard that muscle mass burns more calories, even while resting. So if you have good muscle mass, you could potentially be losing weight while watching tv. :o :D
I also walk 2 miles/day and do yoga for flexibility. I try to do some type of exercise daily; in bad weather I work out indoors. I have been vegetarian for 36 years; am 65 years old, 5'6", and weigh 115 lbs. (fine boned). I mention these things not as "virtue signaling" but to show you that it is possible to maintain an effective diet and exercise routine without much cost or inconvenience.
:thumbsup: Excellent!
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

bodom wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:35 pm I built my physique using mainly dumbbells as I have a shoulder problem and barbells limited what I could do. I would be happy to give you a workout advice and diet plan.
bodom,

Is that you? Lookin' good! When you come over for a Raiders game, they might mistake you for the Tight End!

Weightlifting is one of my favorite exercises and sports. I do bench presses, leg lifts, arm curls. I don't look anything like bodom (I'm 55 yrs. old), but I'm in the top 0.1% according to some weightlifting tables for the amount I can lift in proportion, adjusted for body weight and age. :tongue:
bodom

Post by bodom »

DNS wrote:bodom,

Is that you? Lookin' good!
Hey David it sure is!
When you come over for a Raiders game, they might mistake you for the Tight End!
Lol those players would make me look like a little boy compared to them. At my strongest I benched pressed 300lbs at a weight of 170. Most of those guys are 220lbs all the way up to 300 plus pounds and can lift a truck lol.
Weightlifting is one of my favorite sports.
Absolutely I lifted through my teen years up to now 35. I like to think of it as meditation in motion it takes alot of balance, coordination and concentration. It has helped me tremendously when dealing with depression and anxiety. There's just something about getting those endorphins coursing through the body.
I do bench presses, leg lifts, arm curls. I don't look anything like bodom (I'm 55 yrs. old), but I'm in the top 0.1% according to some weightlifting tables for the amount I can lift in proportion, adjusted for body weight and age. :tongue:
I used to lift for strength and did alot of powerlifring but it took a toll on my body. These days I mainly just lift light weight for alot of reps for overall Heath and cardiovascular benefits.

Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
alfa

Post by alfa »

No_Mind wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:02 am Does anyone here do weight training? Can you suggest a good dumbbell routine for beginners? The ones on YouTube are far too advanced for my fitness level. I cannot afford a personal trainer.

Let me describe my need -

I want to lose weight but have no access to running .. too high temp and humidity for run in afternoon and I am not free to go out for a run in the morning .. also I do not want to run since I am heavy and self conscious of running with a large girth.

I have been toying with a schedule of push ups, sit ups, leg raises, free squats, calf raises but feel they are not enough. I am too fat to skip rope and have no access to a motorized treadmill.

I will like to add some dumbbell work since I have a pair of dumbbell rods (adjustable) and have following plates

2.5 kilo x 4
2 x 4
1.25 x 4
1 x 4

Making it possible for me to create dumbbells from 2 kilos to 13.5 kilos (each hand).

I also have a pair of 5 kilos and a 4 ft barbell bar which I would like to use for some compound movements like clean and press and squat and military press.

If you're okay with calisthenics, you can try pullups the single most important exercise. If it's too hard, you can try negatives (getting down portion alone until you become strong enough to do regular pullups). This exercise will do wonders, you wouldn't need anything else.

But if you;re only interested in weights, then better to stick to basics:
1) chest - db press and flys
2) Back - rows
3) Legs - squat
4) shoulder - do scott press (eliminate military press completely, you'll thank me later).
5) biceps - curls
6) triceps - extensions

These basic exercises will cover the whole body. Don't do cardio, just eat less.

Good luck.
Justsit

Post by Justsit »

DNS wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:56 pm Weightlifting is one of my favorite exercises and sports. I do bench presses, leg lifts, arm curls. I don't look anything like bodom (I'm 55 yrs. old), but I'm in the top 0.1% according to some weightlifting tables for the amount I can lift in proportion, adjusted for body weight and age. :tongue:
Sounds a bit like my brother. He turns 60 today; used to lift when he was in his teens and twenties,then stopped and put on a bunch of weight and was pretty unhealthy. His doctor threatened him with insulin injections, and that did it. He headed back to the gym and now works out 5 days/wk. He's still a big guy, maybe 240, and of course he tries to lift with the young guys; I think he said he was bench pressing 325 (?) when his body reminded him he's not 21 any more. He pulls muscle and tendons and ligaments every now and again, but that doesn't stop him. He's as stubborn as I am. :tongue:
Digity

Post by Digity »

I'm pursuing calisthenics. You won't get big doing that sort of workout, but you can gain impressive strength and power. It also makes you more flexible and balanced, since some of the more advanced moves require a lot of stability in your core, etc.

I use to do heavy weightlifting, but it just wasn't for me. I didn't have the passion for it and found all the eating to be too much.

Very impressive bodom!
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

To delay death, lift weights say some studies:

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/to-d ... ket-newtab
polo

Post by polo »

Hello there,
I don't know about weight training to lose weight. But from my personal experience I stop eating in between meals by eating lots of fats.
Let me give you a picture, I used to eat pastries, cakes, or other light meals in between meals times because I felt hungry. And sometimes there was just this desire to eat something even if I wasn't that hungry. I would say I craved for sweet stuffs due the malfunction of hormones in the cells in my brain caused by a shortage of fats in my diet.
I happened to watch a youtube documentary on an old Indian yogi in India who was saying he ate a lot of fats, the fats that he ate was ghee(indian clarified butter) When he said a lot he actually showed how much he was eating daily using the actual ghee to show on the youtube. I was shocked he was eating so much fats(or ghee) on a daily basis. Of course he eats veggie and some carbohydrates too.
Then I also came across documentary on people who are eating a lot of butter and fats to lose weight.
They say modern diet is badly lacking in fats(good fats not the hydrogenated fats, e.g margarine or other highly processed fats and oils.) Fish oils is also a good fat. When you don't get enough of good fats your body crave for energy. Well, I can't explain in details, better if you search website for this fats documentary and you will understand well.
When I first started eating lots of butter and other fats I was not sure if I was doing the right thing. I was eating with a sort of guilty feeling. Something like "am I doing the right thing?"
After I started eating more fats I lost interest in pastries, biscuits , etc., because after meals I feel satisfied with no craving for in between meals. That really keeps my weight down.
I feel good when I don't crave for in between meals because I feel I am in control of my appetite there is no runaway hunger. I don't suddenly feel very hungry that I need to eat some biscuits with a cup of tea. I sometimes do take some teas and eat a bit of pastries because my friends invite me to drink tea with them. Because I don't want offend them I just partake a little. They, of course don't know anything about my success in doing away with in-between meals. Too long a story to explain to them and they don't really care about their health so it's a waste of time trying to do good in such circumstances, wasting your time I must say.
Please do search the website, I cannot remember any of those websites because it was so long ago when I started reading on fats in diet.
Once you get your diet right you will loose weight whether you train or you don't train with weights.
Good luck. Metta
Correct diet plus weight training- is a super speed to lose weight. You will be amazed and you will never go back to old habits ever after. You will begin to look down on those cakes and pastries. I am talking from experience . You look at those people gorging down those carbohydrates and sugar stuffs you know they will die from diabetes, heart attacks, strokes and a lot of related illness. But what can you do? There is only so much you could help by spreading the truth for those who want to listen.