Celebrations and tiredness.

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
No_Mind

Celebrations and tiredness.

Post by No_Mind »

I have very low tolerance for sound and light .. the type one finds in any party or gathering

Let alone a night club (or any place with a dance floor and loud music and gaudy lights), I find even the wedding party of a close relative (where I am more than a guest who pops in .. hands over the gift .. eats and disappears) to be physically demanding. Lot of people, lot of bright lights, lot of background conversation disorient me completely .. and it takes me 2-3 days to fully recover.

For this reason I have never been able to attend any parties (the New Year bash kind of party). Watching everyone having "good time" always make me think I am defective (or is it deficient) in some way (I am at my best with few friends in a cosy no frills restaurant).

On the other hand I can sit alone for hours by the seaside.

Is there anyone else here like me?

:namaste:

No_Mind
"The struggle itself toward the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy.”― Albert Camus
SarathW

Re: Celebrations and tiredness.

Post by SarathW »

For me, the 31st night is another day.
a crowd of young people (about 40) playing loud music and dancing next door in the street.
It did not bother me at all. (I have been there and done that)
I know the frustration being young.
At 12 PM more firework and more noises but I went to bed and had a good sleep until 7.30am.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings No Mind,
No_Mind wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:35 am Is there anyone else here like me?
Not quite... what you explain sounds like sensory overload.

On the other hand, I feel similarly exhausted with social gatherings in general (especially Christmas, birthdays, work functions etc.), but strangely, I'm totally fine in a pub/club setting, especially when I'm the one DJing, or having some downtime in-between shifts. I think that's precisely because it is loud, and sustained conversations are impractical, that I can actually find the mental seclusion I seek.

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

I was asleep at 9pm & went to the beach first thing in the morning. :meditate:
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati
binocular

Post by binocular »

I find parties to be boring. Although, boredom is sometimes defined as a physiological reaction resulting from repeated stimulus of the same kind, so maybe there's nothing fancy about my dislike of parties.

I hate New Year's Eve celebrations here. Because New Year's Eve celebrations means fireworks, and fireworks means that our cats will panic.
Last night, my neighbor (who happens to be a veterinarian!!) started a firework already at about 8.30 PM, not alerting us. I spent a good portion of the night looking for the cats outside. I was able to find one about two hours later in the garden. She was frightened through and through, and even soiled herself. So to all the distress that she had already experienced, I had to add the distress of washing her.

Normally, the fireworks here don't begin until about 11.30 PM, and I have all the cats in by 10.30 PM at the latest. But this year, our neighbor started so much earlier. The cats were still outside (as they usually are outside until 11PM on ordinary days), and as I first heard the fireworks, only about 20 meters from our house, I ran outside and only saw the cats panicking and fleeing who knows where.

I told the neighbor a few things ... I might have to apologize.
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
Digity

Post by Digity »

I think you're a highly sensitive person. I have the same issues too. I think we just have strong perception and our senses are amplified. I think highly sensitive people notice more subtleties in things, which can lead to greater wisdom/understanding, but it can also cause us to feel overwhelmed. So, there's pros and cons.

See here for more info:
http://hsperson.com
Last edited by Digity on Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dharmacorps

Post by dharmacorps »

I don't like parties. I find them tiring. I also don't like big groups of people in general. I like people 1 on 1 or in small groups like 4 or 5 people. I don't mind lights or music but they don't take out energy like groups of people can.