Why one meal a day?

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
SarathW
Posts: 9398
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:49 am

Re: Why one meal a day?

Post by SarathW » Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:51 am

Why turmeric?
What it does for you?
How much and how do you take it.
I use turmeric for rice and curry just a little. I got a very strong taste.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”

User avatar
Alex123
Posts: 3476
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:32 pm

Re: Why one meal a day?

Post by Alex123 » Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:02 am

SarathW wrote:Why turmeric?
What it does for you?
How much and how do you take it.
I use turmeric for rice and curry just a little. I got a very strong taste.
Turmeric (curcumin) is said to have many benefits including anti-inflammatory. Which is why I mentioned. I take few capsules of it. Sometimes I have used powder.
"Life is a struggle. Life will throw curveballs at you, it will humble you, it will attempt to break you down. And just when you think things are starting to look up, life will smack you back down with ruthless indifference..."

User avatar
Mkoll
Posts: 6428
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:55 pm
Location: California

Re: Why one meal a day?

Post by Mkoll » Fri Oct 16, 2015 4:50 pm

SarathW wrote:Why turmeric?
What it does for you?
How much and how do you take it.
I use turmeric for rice and curry just a little. I got a very strong taste.
Search for "turmeric" and "curcumin" at nutritionfacts.org and you'll find all sorts of information about its beneficial effects.
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa

User avatar
samseva
Posts: 2097
Joined: Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:59 pm

Re: Why one meal a day?

Post by samseva » Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:07 pm

Alex123 wrote:I drink almost ~0.5 pounds of cashews 3 times per week for my breakfast prior to workout and work. I also often used to take omega-3 fish capsules and I take lots of turmeric. No inflammation at all. Had blood tests.

The reason I mentioned cashews is because it (and pumpkin seeds) are complete protein source. I can't stand the taste of pumpkin seeds so I drink cashews.
The omega-3 probably helps balance your omega-3/6 ratio and the turmeric probably helps as well with inflammation. The turmeric is a good move.

Are the cashews you eat "raw" (non-roasted)? Not to sound alarmist, but if not, you are eating very large amounts of oxidized—i.e., rancid—polyunsaturated fat (which is basically similar to eating slightly poisonous sludge).

User avatar
Alex123
Posts: 3476
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:32 pm

Re: Why one meal a day?

Post by Alex123 » Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:36 pm

samseva wrote:
Alex123 wrote:I drink almost ~0.5 pounds of cashews 3 times per week for my breakfast prior to workout and work. I also often used to take omega-3 fish capsules and I take lots of turmeric. No inflammation at all. Had blood tests.

The reason I mentioned cashews is because it (and pumpkin seeds) are complete protein source. I can't stand the taste of pumpkin seeds so I drink cashews.
The omega-3 probably helps balance your omega-3/6 ratio and the turmeric probably helps as well with inflammation. The turmeric is a good move.

Are the cashews you eat "raw" (non-roasted)? Not to sound alarmist, but if not, you are eating very large amounts of oxidized—i.e., rancid—polyunsaturated fat (which is basically similar to eating slightly poisonous sludge).
They are raw, and I soak them in water for full day, then rinse them, and blend them with water in the blender. I have been taking them for more than 1 year. I never blend roasted (or salted) nuts. I also used to blendraw pumpkin seeds (peeled) ones, but I don`t like the taste.
SarathW wrote: What about almonds?
:)

The reason is that cashews are complete protein source while almonds are not. Peeled pumpkin seeds are also complete protein source, but I can`t stand the flavor.
"Life is a struggle. Life will throw curveballs at you, it will humble you, it will attempt to break you down. And just when you think things are starting to look up, life will smack you back down with ruthless indifference..."

User avatar
samseva
Posts: 2097
Joined: Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:59 pm

Re: Why one meal a day?

Post by samseva » Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:39 pm

Alex123 wrote:They are raw, and I soak them in water for full day, then rinse them, and blend them with water in the blender. I have been taking them for more than 1 year. I never blend roasted (or salted) nuts. I also used to blendraw pumpkin seeds (peeled) ones, but I don`t like the taste.
Good to know. :smile:

SarathW
Posts: 9398
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:49 am

Re: Why one meal a day?

Post by SarathW » Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:28 pm

Isn't almonds healthier than cashew.
I heard cashew got too much cholesterol.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”

User avatar
mirco
Posts: 448
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:12 pm

Re: 1 or 2 meals a day ?

Post by mirco » Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:29 pm

Saoshun wrote:Because for proper balance in the mind there is need for proper balance in the body.
You will not get all the fuel from one meal a day.
That depends on your bodily activities.
"An important term for meditative absorption is samadhi. We often translate that as concentration, but that can suggest a certain stiffness. Perhaps unification is a better rendition, as samadhi means to bring together. Deep samadhi isn't at all stiff. It's a process of letting go of other things and coming to a unified experience." - Bhikkhu Anālayo

User avatar
Mkoll
Posts: 6428
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:55 pm
Location: California

Re: Why one meal a day?

Post by Mkoll » Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:51 pm

SarathW wrote:Isn't almonds healthier than cashew.
I heard cashew got too much cholesterol.
Both nuts are good in moderation.
Cholesterol is found in substantial amounts only in animal products.
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa

User avatar
samseva
Posts: 2097
Joined: Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:59 pm

Re: Why one meal a day?

Post by samseva » Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:16 pm

SarathW wrote:Isn't almonds healthier than cashew.
I heard cashew got too much cholesterol.
The problem is not cholesterol itself, it is oxidized cholesterol that is unhealthy. Oxidization of cholesterol—one among many other foods that can be oxidized—happens especially when cholesterol is cooked, even at low temperatures. Cholesterol is actually produced by the liver.

For nuts, this mostly applies to polyunsaturated fat (i.e., omega-6), which nuts are very high in this nutrient. Like cholesterol, polyunsaturated fatty acids are very fragile.

Regarding cholesterol, there is none in both cashews and almonds.

If your nuts are raw, then there is no problem at all. If they are roasted, I wouldn't even eat them at all.

User avatar
Alex123
Posts: 3476
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:32 pm

Re: Why one meal a day?

Post by Alex123 » Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:43 pm

My older tests showed that I have low cholesterol, so to be honest, I am trying to raise it. I eat lots of fat. It is also good for the brain and cells in the body.
"Life is a struggle. Life will throw curveballs at you, it will humble you, it will attempt to break you down. And just when you think things are starting to look up, life will smack you back down with ruthless indifference..."

User avatar
samseva
Posts: 2097
Joined: Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:59 pm

Re: Why one meal a day?

Post by samseva » Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:47 pm

Alex123 wrote:My older tests showed that I have low cholesterol, so to be honest, I am trying to raise it. I eat lots of fat. It is also good for the brain and cells in the body.
I agree. Although it is important that you don't cook the cholesterol. Depending if you are vegan or not, a very good source of cholesterol is eggs, although they do need to be sunny side up and not scrambled.

User avatar
Alex123
Posts: 3476
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:32 pm

Re: Why one meal a day?

Post by Alex123 » Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:52 pm

samseva wrote:
Alex123 wrote:My older tests showed that I have low cholesterol, so to be honest, I am trying to raise it. I eat lots of fat. It is also good for the brain and cells in the body.
I agree. Although it is important that you don't cook the cholesterol. Depending if you are vegan or not, a very good source of cholesterol is eggs, although they do need to be sunny side up and not scrambled.
What is wrong with cooking? From what I understand, animal fat is more heat resistant than plant based fat and spoils less easily than plant based.
"Life is a struggle. Life will throw curveballs at you, it will humble you, it will attempt to break you down. And just when you think things are starting to look up, life will smack you back down with ruthless indifference..."

User avatar
samseva
Posts: 2097
Joined: Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:59 pm

Re: Why one meal a day?

Post by samseva » Sat Oct 17, 2015 11:07 pm

Alex123 wrote:
samseva wrote:
Alex123 wrote:My older tests showed that I have low cholesterol, so to be honest, I am trying to raise it. I eat lots of fat. It is also good for the brain and cells in the body.
I agree. Although it is important that you don't cook the cholesterol. Depending if you are vegan or not, a very good source of cholesterol is eggs, although they do need to be sunny side up and not scrambled.
What is wrong with cooking? From what I understand, animal fat is more heat resistant than plant based fat and spoils less easily than plant based.
Yes, most animal fats have elevated smoke points, but the thing is that each animal fat (as in the fat from the animal) is composed of different lipids. When consuming animal fat, there is probably saturated fat, monounsaturated fat, polyunsaturated fat and other fats such as cholesterol. The most fragile fats are cholesterol and polyunsaturated fat; the most heat resistant is saturated fat, followed by monounsaturated fat.

With animal products, the cholesterol in eggs is in the yolk. When you cook the yolk, you also cook the cholesterol, which oxidizes it, renders it unusable for the body and even causes health problems. Poultry and pork are higher in polyunsaturated fat compared to beef, venison and other wild meats.

Regarding plant-based fats, you are correct; they shouldn't be used for cooking. The best fat for cooking is butter (or coconut oil). Even though it is basically pure saturated fat, it is not unhealthy. The demonizing of saturated fat comes from a scientist named Ancel Keys, dating back to the 1950's. The scientific information is outdated and simply false. The human species and all its predecessors have been eating high-saturated fat animal meat for millions of years, without needing 0% fat yogourt and margarine (which is basically chemically modified plant oil).

User avatar
Mkoll
Posts: 6428
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:55 pm
Location: California

Re: Why one meal a day?

Post by Mkoll » Sat Oct 17, 2015 11:25 pm

The fact is that there is a scientific controversy regarding the possibility of deleterious health effects of saturated fat and cholesterol consumption. A quick search on PubMed and Google will verify this to be true. To portray the science as being settled or to say that cholesterol and/or saturated fat is good for your health based on the science is misleading.

This thread is starting to turn into the great veg debate. A lot of these recent posts, including mine, would be more at home there.
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests