Why one meal a day?

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
Cittasanto

Re: what is the relevence of eating before noon?

Post by Cittasanto »

jason c wrote:
Cittasanto wrote:
jason c wrote:hey cittisanto,
so as we progress on the path ridding ourselves of defilements by the accumulation of wisdom, one generally leans towards living a certain way.
Then Become a monk.
the circumstances must be right before one becomes a monk. previous karma fills ones life with responsibilities. one cannot be so selfish as to abandon these.
yet it is ones pressent Kamma that really matters, don't play flip flop directions.
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
jason c

Post by jason c »

hey cittasanto can you clarify your last statement?
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

jason c wrote:hey cittasanto can you clarify your last statement?
Yes, care about how you act now, be one thing, and true to it.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
jason c

Post by jason c »

Cittasanto wrote:
yes, be present NOW, pay attention to NOW, this is what the buddha taught and meditation is practice to cultivate this.
hanzze_

Post by hanzze_ »

That's just another runaway. Jason, be patient with you and take care of your responsibilities first but when ever your responsibilities are gone (or realized as excuse and not real responsibilities but just greed) be careful to take no more other. We love responsibilities to give us a reason for struggling on.

A maybe good story:
Practice for the Householder

You have often asked about the path of the householder. Household life is both hard and easy hard to do, easy to understand. It is as if you were to come complaining to me with a red-hot coal in your hand, and I were to tell you to simply drop it. "No, I won't," you say. "I want it to be cold." Either you must drop it, or you must learn to be very patient.

"How can I drop it?" you ask. Can you just drop your family? Drop it in your heart. Let go of your inner attachment. You are like a bird that has laid eggs; you have a responsibility to sit with and hatch them. Otherwise, they will become rotten.

You may want the members of your family to appreciate you, to understand why you act in certain ways, yet they may not. Their attitude may be intolerant, closed-minded. If the father is a thief and the son disapproves, is he a bad child? Explain things as well as you can, make an honest effort, then let go. If you have a pain and go to the doctor, but he and all his medicines cannot cure it, what can you do but let it go?

If you think in terms of my family, my practice, this kind of self-centered view is just another cause of suffering. Do not think of finding happiness, either living with others or living alone-just live with the Dharma. Buddhism helps to work out problems, but we must practice and develop wisdom first. You do not just throw rice into a potful of water and immediately have boiled rice. You have to build the fire, bring the water to a boil, and let the rice cook long enough. With wisdom, problems can eventually be solved by taking into account the karma of beings. Understanding family life, you can really learn about karma, about cause and effect, and can begin to take care of your action in the future.

Practicing in a group, in a monastery, or at a retreat is not so hard; you are too embarrassed to miss sittings with others. But when you go home, you find it difficult; you say that you are lazy or unable to find time. You give away your personal power, projecting it onto others, onto situations or teachers outside yourself. Just wake up! You create your own world. Do you want to practice or not?

Just as we monks must strive with our precepts and ascetic practices, developing the discipline that leads to freedom, so you lay people must do likewise. As you practice in your homes, you should endeavour to refine the basic precepts. Strive to put body and speech in order. Make real effort, practice continuously. As for concentrating the mind, do not give up because you have tried it once or twice and are not at peace. Why should it not take a long time? How long have you let your mind wander as it wished without
doing anything to control it? How long have you allowed it to lead you around by the nose? Is it any. wonder that a month or two is not enough to still it?

Of course, the mind is hard to train. When a horse is really stubborn, do not feed it for a while-it will come around. When it starts to follow the right.
course, feed it a little. The beauty of our way of life is that the mind can be trained. With our own right effort, we can come to wisdom.

To live the lay life and practice Dharma, one must be in the world but remain above it. Virtue, beginning with the five basic precepts, is all important, parent to all good things. It is the basis for removing wrong from the mind, removing the cause of distress and agitation. Make virtue really firm. Then practice your formal meditation when the opportunity presents itself. Sometimes the meditation will be good, sometimes not. Do not worry about it, just continue. If doubts arise, just realize that they, like everything else in the mind, are impermanent.

As you continue, concentration will arise. Use it to develop wisdom. See like and dislike arising from sense contact and do not attach to them. Do not be anxious for results or quick progress. An infant first crawls, then learns to walk, then to run. Just be firm in your virtue and keep practicing.
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

jason c wrote:
Cittasanto wrote:
yes, be present NOW, pay attention to NOW, this is what the buddha taught and meditation is practice to cultivate this.
there is a little more to it than just that.

John Stuart Mill
jason c

Post by jason c »

please share.
metta,
jason
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

jason c wrote:please share.
metta,
jason
it is right there in what I wrote in both counts, underlined in the quoted text in my last post!

John Stuart Mill
Hanzze

Post by Hanzze »

Dear Jason,

I guess the Instructions to Rahula is the most useful guide to come buy one self into the right line, without seeking to much reference in "this should be" and "that should be". Even in regard to food, its a all round advice without elbow where ever we are.

Using past, present and both for a better future without much speculations.
Just that! *smile*
...We Buddhists must find the courage to leave our temples and enter the temples of human experience, temples that are filled with suffering. If we listen to Buddha, Christ, or Gandhi, we can do nothing else. The refugee camps, the prisons, the ghettos, and the battlefields will become our temples. We have so much work to do. ... Peace is Possible! Step by Step. - Samtach Preah Maha Ghosananda "Step by Step" http://www.ghosananda.org/bio_book.html

BUT! it is important to become a real Buddhist first. Like Punna did: Punna Sutta Nate sante baram sokham _()_
GirlBoyGirl

Re: Why one meal a day?

Post by GirlBoyGirl »

This is a really interesting thread. There is NO way I could get my husband on board with this but it is interesting to say the least. I don't know how my body would handle one meal a day. I usually eat the frequent small meals a day or I get weak/dizzy.

On an unrelated note, I love Goofaholix's Syd the Science Kid avatar! :)
harveysmith27

Re: Why one meal a day?

Post by harveysmith27 »

If you are trying to lose weight, you may be tempted to eat just one meal a day.
You're likely to lose weight -- at least initially. But it's also likely that you'll be hungry.
purple planet

Vegan diet - and one meal a day ?

Post by purple planet »

I used to be vegan now i am in a "break" of 3 months in which i ate meat - and now i want to go back to being vegan
- at the time i eat in the morning cereal with milk and for lunch vegetables with meat and then i dont eat until next morning -

My question is how to eat vegan and once or twice a day and still get all nutritional vitamins and minerals and also proteins and carbs ? and how do you do it with only one meal a day ?
Ben

Re: Vegan diet - and one meal a day ?

Post by Ben »

Unless you are a monk, I don't understand why you only want to eat once a day.
Be that as it may, make sure that your meal contains a range of different food items inc beans/tofu/tempeh, green vegetables such as bok choi, peas, broccoli and a source of carbs - potato, rice or bread. There should be easily available resources on the internet to help you balance your diet.
All the best,

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
marc108

Post by marc108 »

purple planet wrote: My question is how to eat vegan and once or twice a day and still get all nutritional vitamins and minerals and also proteins and carbs ? and how do you do it with only one meal a day ?
impossible
"It's easy for us to connect with what's wrong with us... and not so easy to feel into, or to allow us, to connect with what's right and what's good in us."
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

Ben's advice is very sound. In addition, you will need a source of vitamin B12.

The English monk Ajahn Vajiro has been vegan for a long while and says it has caused him no problems on one meal a day.

But to echo Ben again, why bother with this when you don't need to?