Why one meal a day?

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
ihrjordan

Re: Has anyone had trouble eating 1 meal a day in the winter?

Post by ihrjordan »

David N. Snyder wrote:If I'm not mistaken, I believe the body needs more calories in winter to stay warm; that cold weather burns more calories using the energy to keep the body warm. So you might just need to eat a little more during the winter months during the one meal. I mostly just eat one meal, but it doesn't get that cold where I live.
Perhaps I'm over thinking things. I've just had bad experiences eating moderately in winter. Probably from not eating enough; after all moderation in eating isn't just not overeating but also not undereating. I do absolutely adore this practice though, I feel so free and light on my feet.
ihrjordan

Post by ihrjordan »

Digity wrote:When I follow the 8 precepts once a week during the winter I do find that in the evening my body gets rather cold, since I'm not eating much. One things to do is just bundle up and wear thicker cloths. Another thing I do is run an electric heating fan to keep myself more warm. But yeah, I definitely notice a difference on those days vs others when I eat throughout the day.
Good advice, common sense but good advice nontheless. : ) of course when the weakness and cold becomes unbearable there's probably no harm in taking recourse to juice and sugar water. I found myself becoming exceedingly anxious and restlessness at times during winter, perhaps due to not eating enough.
Digity

Post by Digity »

Maybe drink hot tea throughout the day during the winter. That should be helpful too. How many calories do you consume a day? The one meal a day may not be best if you're living an active lay life though. You might be under nourishing yourself.
ihrjordan

Post by ihrjordan »

Digity wrote:Maybe drink hot tea throughout the day during the winter. That should be helpful too. How many calories do you consume a day? The one meal a day may not be best if you're living an active lay life though. You might be under nourishing yourself.
I actually think coffee (another bitter drink) was one of the reasons winter was bad for me previously eating one meal. I tend to stick with sweet drinks and perhaps even the 5 tonics of ghee, butter, honey, oil and sugar when I'm really in need of energy. I don't count calories, I just eat until I don't want to eat anymore, and I live a pretty uneventful life as of now so I'm not worried about overexerting myself. Tbh I actually feel stronger eating only one meal most of the time than when I eat several
form

Re: Why one meal a day?

Post by form »

If one exercise with some weights and body weight exercises 4-5 times a week, from my experience, I would say it is impossible to eat just once a day. Minimum 2, better if 3 meals a day. I have tested out eating one meal a day for a short period. Perhaps if one do not move around much after going for alms it may work. But that is not my lifestyle.

I come across the reasons why the Buddha include this rule in the nikaya. To avoid going out in the dark and scare householders (I think a not so good looking monk scared someone), to avoid falling into a pit due to darkness, too good looking monks from being seduced by women etc. This to me point out that there is no physiological advantage for this rule. Sure, eating a lot at one go make one sleepy, but one can eat just till 70-80% fill and eat up to 3-4 meals should they move around a lot. I also find allowing liquid food is contradictory to this rule. If I want to following this rule, I can "cheat" by making a jug of protein drink with milk and fat, even with some carbohydrates powder, and drink it anytime I want. I can also blend fruits without seeds, or made a sugary syrup and drink any time I want. So for a monk that is not active and take in too much calories that could be obesity/diabetes/cardiovascular diseases in the making.
robertk

Post by robertk »

. If I want to following this rule, I can "cheat" by making a jug of protein drink with milk and fat,

milk is not allowable to monks after midday, so what would be the point of you taking it.
form

Post by form »

robertk wrote:
. If I want to following this rule, I can "cheat" by making a jug of protein drink with milk and fat,

milk is not allowable to monks after midday, so what would be the point of you taking it.
Then I made one jug of avocado juice to drink as I want after midday to beat the rule. Joking aside, can you tell me what liquids are allowed and what are not?
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

form wrote: Sure, eating a lot at one go make one sleepy, but one can eat just till 70-80% fill and eat up to 3-4 meals should they move around a lot. I also find allowing liquid food is contradictory to this rule.

So for a monk that is not active and take in too much calories that could be obesity/diabetes/cardiovascular diseases in the making.
It depends on what you are eating. If you are eating a lot of animal protein; meat, etc then yes one might get sleepy. I eat very little dairy and egg products, eating mostly vegan and I don't get sleepy from the one large meal.

Same thing with the obesity, cardiovascular issues; it depends on what you are eating. Foods high in saturated fats clog arteries, foods that are not high, don't.
Sprouticus

Re: One meal a day advice request

Post by Sprouticus »

zan wrote:
Sprouticus wrote:As far as beds are concerned, a thick comforter on the floor or a platform can be quite serviceable. Rather like the Japanese shikibuton.
shikibuton-mattresses-on-tatami1.jpg

Interesting, I'll have to give it a go.
:anjali:

Did you ever try sleeping on the floor?
Namo buddhaya
form

Post by form »

I just look at a website talking about what a thai monk can consume after midday, I saw cheese in the list. If that is allowed, milk and milk powder should be allowed as well.
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

form wrote:I just look at a website talking about what a Thai monk can consume after midday, I saw cheese in the list. If that is allowed, milk and milk powder should be allowed as well.
The Vinaya rule says that navanīta is allowable as one of the five tonics. This is usually translated as butter, not cheese.

The Vinaya rule also says that if something is not specifically mentioned as allowable then it should be compared with what is known to be allowable and what is known to be not allowable.

Milk is known to be not allowable after midday. Butter and ghee are known to be allowable. So, compare cheese to butter, ghee, and milk. I don't think there is any doubt about this.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
form

Post by form »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:
form wrote:I just look at a website talking about what a Thai monk can consume after midday, I saw cheese in the list. If that is allowed, milk and milk powder should be allowed as well.
The Vinaya rule says that navanīta is allowable as one of the five tonics. This is usually translated as butter, not cheese.

The Vinaya rule also says that if something is not specifically mentioned as allowable then it should be compared with what is known to be allowable and what is known to be not allowable.

Milk is known to be not allowable after midday. Butter and ghee are known to be allowable. So, compare cheese to butter, ghee, and milk. I don't think there is any doubt about this.
I saw it here.

http://www.thaibuddhist.com/what-do-mon ... breakfast/

By the way, is this a very strict rule for monk? If a monk start his own group and eat occasionally a supper cos he happen to feel very hungry after giving a night talk, is it a serious offence?
Tom

Post by Tom »

Did the Buddha advocate one meal a day or only eating before noon for lay people?
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Tom wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:43 am Did the Buddha advocate one meal a day or only eating before noon for lay people?
The Vinaya rule is for monks and nuns only, to eat before noon. It can be 2 meals before noon, but many choose to just do one large one right before noon.

There is no rule for lay people; they can eat as many as they like. On Uposotha Days some lay people choose to eat only 1 or 2 meals before noon to keep the 8 precepts. Even more rare are some lay people who eat only one meal per day, everyday. If you have a family with children, it is typical for the evening meal to be a family time together, so probably not a good idea. If your kids are all grown up and you live alone and/or your spouse is interested in doing one meal with you, then it can be done as a lay person.
DCM

Post by DCM »

I have been eating 2 meals, (breakfast and lunch), for about 2 weeks now and I'm also a vegan. I am an early riser (get some practise In before the family wake up), and I have noticed that I don't feel as sluggish or tired since cutting out eating in the afternoon or evening. What will change we will see, but for now it seems beneficial. I do have a young family so I try and sip some soya milk at the dinner table whilst the children are eating, and they haven't noticed I don't have a meal in front of me yet!

I think as a family practitioner it is important not be too rigid, I will eat the odd evening meal and eat late at family get togethers, etc.