Why one meal a day?

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
SarathW

Re: Why one meal a day?

Post by SarathW »

Why turmeric?
What it does for you?
How much and how do you take it.
I use turmeric for rice and curry just a little. I got a very strong taste.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Alex123

Post by Alex123 »

SarathW wrote:Why turmeric?
What it does for you?
Turmeric (curcumin) is said to have many benefits including anti-inflammatory. Which is why I mentioned. I take few capsules of it. Sometimes I have used powder.
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

SarathW wrote:Why turmeric?
What it does for you?
Search for "turmeric" and "curcumin" at nutritionfacts.org and you'll find all sorts of information about its beneficial effects.
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
samseva

Post by samseva »

Alex123 wrote:I drink almost ~0.5 pounds of cashews 3 times per week for my breakfast prior to workout and work. I also often used to take omega-3 fish capsules and I take lots of turmeric. No inflammation at all. Had blood tests.

The reason I mentioned cashews is because it (and pumpkin seeds) are complete protein source. I can't stand the taste of pumpkin seeds so I drink cashews.
The omega-3 probably helps balance your omega-3/6 ratio and the turmeric probably helps as well with inflammation. The turmeric is a good move.

Are the cashews you eat "raw" (non-roasted)? Not to sound alarmist, but if not, you are eating very large amounts of oxidized—i.e., rancid—polyunsaturated fat (which is basically similar to eating slightly poisonous sludge).
Alex123

Post by Alex123 »

samseva wrote:
Alex123 wrote:I drink almost ~0.5 pounds of cashews 3 times per week for my breakfast prior to workout and work. I also often used to take omega-3 fish capsules and I take lots of turmeric. No inflammation at all. Had blood tests.

The reason I mentioned cashews is because it (and pumpkin seeds) are complete protein source. I can't stand the taste of pumpkin seeds so I drink cashews.
The omega-3 probably helps balance your omega-3/6 ratio and the turmeric probably helps as well with inflammation. The turmeric is a good move.

Are the cashews you eat "raw" (non-roasted)? Not to sound alarmist, but if not, you are eating very large amounts of oxidized—i.e., rancid—polyunsaturated fat (which is basically similar to eating slightly poisonous sludge).
They are raw, and I soak them in water for full day, then rinse them, and blend them with water in the blender. I have been taking them for more than 1 year. I never blend roasted (or salted) nuts. I also used to blendraw pumpkin seeds (peeled) ones, but I don`t like the taste.
SarathW wrote: What about almonds?
:)

The reason is that cashews are complete protein source while almonds are not. Peeled pumpkin seeds are also complete protein source, but I can`t stand the flavor.
samseva

Post by samseva »

Alex123 wrote:They are raw, and I soak them in water for full day, then rinse them, and blend them with water in the blender. I have been taking them for more than 1 year. I never blend roasted (or salted) nuts. I also used to blendraw pumpkin seeds (peeled) ones, but I don`t like the taste.
Good to know. :smile:
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Isn't almonds healthier than cashew.
I heard cashew got too much cholesterol.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
mirco

Re: 1 or 2 meals a day ?

Post by mirco »

Saoshun wrote:Because for proper balance in the mind there is need for proper balance in the body.
You will not get all the fuel from one meal a day.
That depends on your bodily activities.
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

SarathW wrote:Isn't almonds healthier than cashew.
Both nuts are good in moderation.
Cholesterol is found in substantial amounts only in animal products.
samseva

Post by samseva »

SarathW wrote:Isn't almonds healthier than cashew.
The problem is not cholesterol itself, it is oxidized cholesterol that is unhealthy. Oxidization of cholesterol—one among many other foods that can be oxidized—happens especially when cholesterol is cooked, even at low temperatures. Cholesterol is actually produced by the liver.

For nuts, this mostly applies to polyunsaturated fat (i.e., omega-6), which nuts are very high in this nutrient. Like cholesterol, polyunsaturated fatty acids are very fragile.

Regarding cholesterol, there is none in both cashews and almonds.

If your nuts are raw, then there is no problem at all. If they are roasted, I wouldn't even eat them at all.
Alex123

Post by Alex123 »

My older tests showed that I have low cholesterol, so to be honest, I am trying to raise it. I eat lots of fat. It is also good for the brain and cells in the body.
samseva

Post by samseva »

Alex123 wrote:My older tests showed that I have low cholesterol, so to be honest, I am trying to raise it. I eat lots of fat. It is also good for the brain and cells in the body.
I agree. Although it is important that you don't cook the cholesterol. Depending if you are vegan or not, a very good source of cholesterol is eggs, although they do need to be sunny side up and not scrambled.
Alex123

Post by Alex123 »

samseva wrote:
Alex123 wrote:My older tests showed that I have low cholesterol, so to be honest, I am trying to raise it. I eat lots of fat. It is also good for the brain and cells in the body.
I agree. Although it is important that you don't cook the cholesterol. Depending if you are vegan or not, a very good source of cholesterol is eggs, although they do need to be sunny side up and not scrambled.
What is wrong with cooking? From what I understand, animal fat is more heat resistant than plant based fat and spoils less easily than plant based.
samseva

Post by samseva »

Alex123 wrote:
samseva wrote:
What is wrong with cooking? From what I understand, animal fat is more heat resistant than plant based fat and spoils less easily than plant based.
Yes, most animal fats have elevated smoke points, but the thing is that each animal fat (as in the fat from the animal) is composed of different lipids. When consuming animal fat, there is probably saturated fat, monounsaturated fat, polyunsaturated fat and other fats such as cholesterol. The most fragile fats are cholesterol and polyunsaturated fat; the most heat resistant is saturated fat, followed by monounsaturated fat.

With animal products, the cholesterol in eggs is in the yolk. When you cook the yolk, you also cook the cholesterol, which oxidizes it, renders it unusable for the body and even causes health problems. Poultry and pork are higher in polyunsaturated fat compared to beef, venison and other wild meats.

Regarding plant-based fats, you are correct; they shouldn't be used for cooking. The best fat for cooking is butter (or coconut oil). Even though it is basically pure saturated fat, it is not unhealthy. The demonizing of saturated fat comes from a scientist named Ancel Keys, dating back to the 1950's. The scientific information is outdated and simply false. The human species and all its predecessors have been eating high-saturated fat animal meat for millions of years, without needing 0% fat yogourt and margarine (which is basically chemically modified plant oil).
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

The fact is that there is a scientific controversy regarding the possibility of deleterious health effects of saturated fat and cholesterol consumption. A quick search on PubMed and Google will verify this to be true. To portray the science as being settled or to say that cholesterol and/or saturated fat is good for your health based on the science is misleading.

This thread is starting to turn into the great veg debate. A lot of these recent posts, including mine, would be more at home there.