health and celibacy

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
mario92

health and celibacy

Post by mario92 »

Hi Dhammawheel is it healthy being celibate?, does it have effects in the body, like tiredness, or other illness like ulcer, etc.?
SarathW

Re: health and celibacy

Post by SarathW »

This is a very complex question to give yes or no answer.
A good starting point is to read the following article.

Sex is a powerful force in us all. In itself it is neither "good" nor "bad." But it can certainly create problems. And modern Western man is particularly prone to such problems, partly because of the sheer hectic pace and pressure of modern life, which exaggerates all our troubles, and more specifically because of his background.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... el225.html
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
mario92

Post by mario92 »

Thank you :) W. Sarath
ieee23

Post by ieee23 »

mario92 wrote:Hi Dhammawheel is it healthy being celibate?, does it have effects in the body, like tiredness, or other illness like ulcer, etc.?
I have heard several Medical Doctors recommend that old men with lower libidos masturbate regularly, whether they are in the mood or not as it helps keep their prostates healthy.
Whatever a bhikkhu frequently thinks and ponders upon, that will become the inclination of his mind. - MN 19
mario92

Post by mario92 »

ieee23 wrote:
mario92 wrote:Hi Dhammawheel is it healthy being celibate?, does it have effects in the body, like tiredness, or other illness like ulcer, etc.?
I have heard several Medical Doctors recommend that old men with lower libidos masturbate regularly, whether they are in the mood or not as it helps keep their prostates healthy.
How can some celibate man, lay or ordained dont get prostate cancer? I think even masturbation have a bad side because you have to use your imagination. And it have effects in real life in people, it is like deciding in death or having a partner.

Ps. Death i mean cancer
Lucas Oliveira

Post by Lucas Oliveira »

I participate in this forum using Google Translator. http://translate.google.com.br

http://www.acessoaoinsight.net/
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Not answering the question, but it may be good to keep this in mind:
Ṭhāna Sutta (AN 5.57) wrote:And for the sake of what benefit should a woman or a man, a householder or one gone forth, often reflect thus: ‘I am subject to illness; I am not exempt from illness’? In a state of health beings are intoxicated with their health, and when they are intoxicated with their health they engage in misconduct by body, speech, and mind. But when one often reflects upon this theme, the intoxication with health is either completely abandoned or diminished. It is for the sake of this benefit that a woman or a man, a householder or one gone forth, should often reflect thus: ‘I am subject to illness; I am not exempt from illness.’
binocular

Post by binocular »

mario92 wrote:How can some celibate man, lay or ordained dont get prostate cancer? I think even masturbation have a bad side because you have to use your imagination. And it have effects in real life in people, it is like deciding in death or having a partner.

Ps. Death i mean cancer
Brilliant. So instead of men dying of prostate cancer, women should die from the side effects of hormonal contraceptives and abortions.
Just brilliant.
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
mario92

Post by mario92 »

Well is at least the 3th precept, not adultery
mario92

Post by mario92 »

Nicolas wrote:Not answering the question, but it may be good to keep this in mind:
Ṭhāna Sutta (AN 5.57) wrote:And for the sake of what benefit should a woman or a man, a householder or one gone forth, often reflect thus: ‘I am subject to illness; I am not exempt from illness’? In a state of health beings are intoxicated with their health, and when they are intoxicated with their health they engage in misconduct by body, speech, and mind. But when one often reflects upon this theme, the intoxication with health is either completely abandoned or diminished. It is for the sake of this benefit that a woman or a man, a householder or one gone forth, should often reflect thus: ‘I am subject to illness; I am not exempt from illness.’
Thank you
santa100

Post by santa100 »

mario92 wrote:How can some celibate man, lay or ordained dont get prostate cancer? I think even masturbation have a bad side..
Of course there're other much better ways to prevent prostate cancer. If masturbation is the only way, then those shaolin monks who are full-time celibates would all develop this cancer. But quite the opposite, they're extremely fast and powerful, and live happily and peacefully 'til ripe old age!
paul

Post by paul »

Any lay practitioner who understands the work of right effort in countering the defilements and wants to do all in their power to progress, will renounce all sexual activity beyond the letter of the precepts:
“From the spiritual standpoint it (Right Action) helps curb the expansive tendency of sexual desire and thus is a step in the direction of renunciation, which reaches its consummation in the observance of celibacy (brahmacariya) binding on monks and nuns. ”—“The Noble Eightfold Path”, Bikkhu Bodhi.
mario92

Post by mario92 »

Lucas Oliveira wrote:Tantric Theravada?
https://dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=10503

Celibacy and Tantric Buddhism
https://dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=24497

inner alchemy
https://dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=28715

"Moderation in what is beneficial"? - Yoga connections.
https://dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=26874

:namaste:
Thank you :) Lucas
mario92

Post by mario92 »

paul wrote:Any lay practitioner who understands the work of right effort in countering the defilements and wants to do all in their power to progress, will renounce all sexual activity beyond the letter of the precepts:
“From the spiritual standpoint it (Right Action) helps curb the expansive tendency of sexual desire and thus is a step in the direction of renunciation, which reaches its consummation in the observance of celibacy (brahmacariya) binding on monks and nuns. ”—“The Noble Eightfold Path”, Bikkhu Bodhi.
This is difficult i had practising it, but even a hello from the opposite sex, can lead to much lust when waking up in the morning, is the first time since years that now i take this practice, so sometimes i dont feel happy, i feel confused most of the time, but even if it hurts some times it is better, but as i began to practice i felt like goodness or nobility in my character, and then temptation arises again, and i lose control. I had done also some sexual misconduct like seeing improper images in the internet, only understanding can save me, i feel confused and like going astray, i have a problem with being handsome :| , i attract many sights so that is not so good after all.
mario92

Post by mario92 »

santa100 wrote:
mario92 wrote:How can some celibate man, lay or ordained dont get prostate cancer? I think even masturbation have a bad side..
Of course there're other much better ways to prevent prostate cancer. If masturbation is the only way, then those shaolin monks who are full-time celibates would all develop this cancer. But quite the opposite, they're extremely fast and powerful, and live happily and peacefully 'til ripe old age!
Thank you, i had been practising yoga, for the first time after many years, i have been practising it like 3 days and i felt it is very useful to rest the body and being healthy.