health and celibacy

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
Garrib
Posts: 485
Joined: Mon May 30, 2016 8:35 pm

Re: health and celibacy

Post by Garrib » Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:40 am

khemindas wrote:In my opinion western medicine creates a big myth, about use of sex, and harm of his absence. And the second, even if sex would help to health , and his absence would harm, it would not important, because spiritual development is more important then health.
I agree - no health problems I am aware of. And even if there were, it okay - still worth it!

mario92
Posts: 312
Joined: Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:37 am
Location: My house

Re: health and celibacy

Post by mario92 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:13 pm

khemindas wrote:In my opinion western medicine creates a big myth, about use of sex, and harm of his absence. And the second, even if sex would help to health , and his absence would harm, it would not important, because spiritual development is more important then health.
Thank you venerable
Good morning, have a nice day

User avatar
DooDoot
Posts: 2950
Joined: Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:06 pm

Re: health and celibacy

Post by DooDoot » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:20 pm

khemindas wrote:In my opinion western medicine creates a big myth, about use of sex, and harm of his absence. And the second, even if sex would help to health , and his absence would harm, it would not important, because spiritual development is more important then health.
I disagree with your answer because I doubt there can be concentration (samadhi) development with poor health. Or put another way, those with samadhi development generally have very good health. Generally, monks with poor health also have poor samadhi development. I once knew a monk who always had poor health but he remained a monk because he was an important translator. When he was monk, people would say he had lust because he showed obsession towards women & women's issues. Later in his life, he disrobed and found a wife and looked visibly more happy cuddling his wife. I think for this man, celibacy was the wrong path and lead to sickness due to repressed lust and repressed anger from repressing lust. In fact, this monk had cancer at a relatively young age. In the monastery he had very poor digestion. While I cannot correlate his health problems with celibacy, there might be a link. Regardless, I doubt poor health can assist spiritual development (unless it is the final resignation of attachment when terminally ill).

binocular
Posts: 5638
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:13 pm

Re: health and celibacy

Post by binocular » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:28 am

DooDoot wrote:I disagree with your answer because I doubt there can be concentration (samadhi) development with poor health. Or put another way, those with samadhi development generally have very good health. Generally, monks with poor health also have poor samadhi development. I once knew a monk who always had poor health but he remained a monk because he was an important translator. When he was monk, people would say he had lust because he showed obsession towards women & women's issues. Later in his life, he disrobed and found a wife and looked visibly more happy cuddling his wife. I think for this man, celibacy was the wrong path and lead to sickness due to repressed lust and repressed anger from repressing lust. In fact, this monk had cancer at a relatively young age. In the monastery he had very poor digestion. While I cannot correlate his health problems with celibacy, there might be a link. Regardless, I doubt poor health can assist spiritual development (unless it is the final resignation of attachment when terminally ill).
And women should pay the price for men's health??
Every person we save is one less zombie to fight. -- World War Z

binocular
Posts: 5638
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:13 pm

Re: health and celibacy

Post by binocular » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:47 am

I know a Buddhist who is a big proponent of sex. Guess what he came down with? Prostate cancer.
Every person we save is one less zombie to fight. -- World War Z

User avatar
Aloka
Posts: 5794
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:51 pm

Re: health and celibacy

Post by Aloka » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:48 am

binocular wrote:I know a Buddhist who is a big proponent of sex. Guess what he came down with? Prostate cancer.
More about prostate cancer - which judging from a few men I've known who've been succesfully treated,doesn't seem to have any connection to their sexual activity as three of them have been celibate and two are married
Causes of prostate cancer

It is not known exactly what causes prostate cancer, although a number of things can increase your risk of developing the condition.

These include:

Age –risk rises as you get older and most cases are diagnosed in men over 50 years of age.

Ethnic group –prostate cancer is more common among men of African-Caribbean and African descent than in men of Asian descent.

Family history –having a brother or father who developed prostate cancer under the age of 60 seems to increase the risk of you developing it. Research also shows that having a close female relative who developed breast cancer may also increase your risk of developing prostate cancer.

Obesity – recent research suggests that there may be a link between obesity and prostate cancer.

Exercise – men who regularly exercise have also been found to be at lower risk of developing prostate cancer.

Diet – research is ongoing into the links between diet and prostate cancer. There is evidence that a diet high in calcium is linked to an increased risk of developing prostate cancer.

In addition, some research has shown that prostate cancer rates appear to be lower in men who eat foods containing certain nutrients including lycopene, found in cooked tomatoes and other red fruit, and selenium, found in brazil nuts. However, more research is needed.

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Cancer-of- ... auses.aspx

:anjali:

User avatar
DooDoot
Posts: 2950
Joined: Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:06 pm

Re: health and celibacy

Post by DooDoot » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:07 pm

binocular wrote:And women should pay the price for men's health??
I don't understand your comment. Could you please explain more (rather than give rise to me making an inference, such as you a lesbian or radical feminist)? Thanks. Healthy love is healthy for most people; such as children who receive lots of hugs & cuddles from their parents. In my understanding, the lady was very keen on the relationship with the monk, which is why he disrobed. Generally, it takes two to tango. They both appear happier than before.

User avatar
Lucas Oliveira
Posts: 781
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:07 pm

Re: health and celibacy

Post by Lucas Oliveira » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:29 am

Where of an evening they gathered and carried away for supper, there next morning the rice stood ripe and grown again. Where in the morning they gathered and carried away for breakfast, there in the evening it stood ripe and grown again. No break was to be seen [where the husks had been broken off].

Then those beings feasting on this rice in the clearings, feeding on it, nourished by it, so continued for a long long while. And in measure as they, thus feeding, went on existing, so did the bodies of those beings become even more solid, and the divergence in their comeliness more pronounced. In the female appeared the distinctive features of the female, in the male those of the male. Then truly did woman contemplate man too closely, and man, woman. In them contemplating over much the one the other, passion arose and burning entered their body. They in consequence thereof followed their lusts. And beings seeing them so doing threw, some, sand, some, ashes, some, cowdung, crying: Perish, foul one! Perish, foul one! How can a being treat a being so? Even so now when men, in certain districts, when a bride is led away, throw either sand, or ashes, or cowdung, they do but follow an ancient enduring primordial form, not recognizing the significance thereof.

That which was reckoned immoral at that time, Vāseṭṭha, is now reckoned to be moral. Those beings who at that time followed their lusts, were not allowed to enter village or town either for a whole month or even for two months. And inasmuch as those beings at that time quickly incurred blame for immorality, they set to work to make huts, to conceal just that immorality.

Agañña Sutta (DN 27) - A Book of Genesis
https://suttacentral.net/en/dn27

:anjali:
I participate in this forum using Google Translator. http://translate.google.com.br

http://www.acessoaoinsight.net/

binocular
Posts: 5638
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:13 pm

Re: health and celibacy

Post by binocular » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:28 am

DooDoot wrote:
binocular wrote:And women should pay the price for men's health??
I don't understand your comment. Could you please explain more (rather than give rise to me making an inference, such as you a lesbian or radical feminist)? Thanks. Healthy love is healthy for most people; such as children who receive lots of hugs & cuddles from their parents.
Educate yourself about the health consequences of using hormonal contraceptives, having abortions, and giving birth.
Perhaps also try to imagine what it is like to live in constant fear of unwanted pregnancy, all this as the price a woman has to pay to earn the man's "love".
In my understanding, the lady was very keen on the relationship with the monk, which is why he disrobed. Generally, it takes two to tango. They both appear happier than before.
Men generally prefer stupid women who will gladly risk their own health and life, and the health and life of the unborn.
Oh, and ever heard about keeping up appearances?
Every person we save is one less zombie to fight. -- World War Z

User avatar
Aloka
Posts: 5794
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:51 pm

Re: health and celibacy

Post by Aloka » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:22 am

binocular wrote: Men generally prefer stupid women who will gladly risk their own health and life, and the health and life of the unborn.
In my own experience as a woman, that's complete nonsense - and its really sad if you feel that you've only ever had relationships with men like that, binocular.

:anjali:

User avatar
Sam Vara
Posts: 4395
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:42 pm
Location: Sussex, U.K.

Re: health and celibacy

Post by Sam Vara » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:28 am

Aloka wrote:
binocular wrote: Men generally prefer stupid women who will gladly risk their own health and life, and the health and life of the unborn.
In my own experience as a woman, that's complete nonsense - and its really sad if you feel that you've only ever had relationships with men like that, binocular.

:anjali:
In my own experience as a man, it's not true either. Nor does it make evolutionary sense, in that attractiveness and companionability are linked strongly to good health and survivability.

(Oh, and my wife says that I'm attracted to intelligent women...)

binocular
Posts: 5638
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:13 pm

Re: health and celibacy

Post by binocular » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:31 am

Sam Vara wrote:In my own experience as a man, it's not true either. Nor does it make evolutionary sense, in that attractiveness and companionability are linked strongly to good health and survivability.
(Oh, and my wife says that I'm attracted to intelligent women...)
Aloka wrote:In my own experience as a woman, that's complete nonsense - and its really sad if you feel that you've only ever had relationships with men like that, binocular.
As always, I can rely on your patronizing me and your political correctness.
Every person we save is one less zombie to fight. -- World War Z

User avatar
Sam Vara
Posts: 4395
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:42 pm
Location: Sussex, U.K.

Re: health and celibacy

Post by Sam Vara » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:37 am

binocular wrote:
Sam Vara wrote:In my own experience as a man, it's not true either. Nor does it make evolutionary sense, in that attractiveness and companionability are linked strongly to good health and survivability.
(Oh, and my wife says that I'm attracted to intelligent women...)
Aloka wrote:In my own experience as a woman, that's complete nonsense - and its really sad if you feel that you've only ever had relationships with men like that, binocular.
As always, I can rely on your patronizing me and your political correctness.
I'm not patronising you, binocular. I'm merely taking issue with a statement you made which I believe to be incorrect. That happens a lot on the internet, even on this forum. Nor am I being politically correct. In general, I take a fairly dim view of political correctness, and can't see how it applies in this case.

User avatar
DooDoot
Posts: 2950
Joined: Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:06 pm

Re: health and celibacy

Post by DooDoot » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:59 am

binocular wrote:Educate yourself about the health consequences of using hormonal contraceptives, having abortions, and giving birth. Perhaps also try to imagine what it is like to live in constant fear of unwanted pregnancy, all this as the price a woman has to pay to earn the man's "love".
Hormonal contraceptives & (widespread) abortions is basically a 50 year old phenomena, as old as my life. Sounds very socially & technologically engineered. As for giving birth, women have been seeking & doing this for thousands or millions of years.

Earn the man's love or earn his bank account, protection & labour? Generally, women are interested in mating (reproduction) & men are interested in sexual pleasure. Vain men are interested in sons. Generally, there is not really much 'love' involved, until they, if fortunate, mature into 'human'. Generally, it begins as basically 'blind' drives or instincts. Not much point in attributing blame to natural drives. Buddhism does not. Buddhism explains the blindness of ignorance is the "first cause". Have you heard about Dependent Origination, which explains this?

Well, at least that is one opinion of thousands more different opinions.
Men generally prefer stupid women who will gladly risk their own health and life, and the health and life of the unborn.
Buddhism encourages accepting personal responsibility for kamma. Blaming others for suffering is actually 'nihilism' (SN 12.17). As mentioned, SN 12.17 state suffering is caused by ignorance (rather than by 'oneself' or by 'others'). Most (but not all) women actually have natural reproductive drives to have children. In Buddhism, these drives are natural instincts (rather than personal intentions). If there appears to be some inherent 'cruelty' to this, it is nature's fault rather than a man's fault.

User avatar
Aloka
Posts: 5794
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:51 pm

Re: health and celibacy

Post by Aloka » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:20 am

binocular wrote:
Sam Vara wrote:In my own experience as a man, it's not true either. Nor does it make evolutionary sense, in that attractiveness and companionability are linked strongly to good health and survivability.
(Oh, and my wife says that I'm attracted to intelligent women...)
Aloka wrote:In my own experience as a woman, that's complete nonsense - and its really sad if you feel that you've only ever had relationships with men like that, binocular.
As always, I can rely on your patronizing me and your political correctness.
Your comments are way off the mark, Binocular. Its not my intention to patronise you nor to be politically correct. I'm simply expressing an opinion from my own experience.

Oh - and a male friend of mine who moved to another area was telling me in a phone conversation just recently, about how clever academically his new girlfriend is - and how he's attracted to intelligent women....

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests