Which beverages do you mostly take?

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.

Which beverages do you drink the most? choose up to 3

Tea (black)
10%
Green tea or Jasmine tea
8%
Herbal teas
7%
Coffee
16%
Water
34%
Soda pop
7%
Lemonade or other fruit juice
5%
Energy drinks
2%
Soy milk or Almond milk
8%
Milk (cow)
2%

Total votes: 146

lostitude

Re: Which beverages do you mostly take?

Post by lostitude »

ieee23 wrote:Probably could have left water out of the poll as everyone drinks that sooner or later.
But then it's the most appropriate answer for people like me who consciously avoid drinking other liquids. I usually try to stick to water even when I feel like milk or soda or anything else. I drink mineral water with a high magnesium content, which is said to have a positive effect on the nervous system.
dharmacorps

Post by dharmacorps »

I drink Coffee in the mornings, then water midday. In the evening I may have a soda or two, or some lemonade or other drink mix.
aflatun

Post by aflatun »

Mostly water, 1-2X a day coffee, and some diet soda.

I religiously avoid caloric drinks (that "religiously" is for chownah and binocular, they taught me something!)
"People often get too quick to say 'there's no self. There's no self...no self...no self.' There is self, there is focal point, its not yours. That's what not self is."

Ninoslav Ñāṇamoli
Senses and the Thought-1, 42:53

"Those who create constructs about the Buddha,
Who is beyond construction and without exhaustion,
Are thereby damaged by their constructs;
They fail to see the Thus-Gone.

That which is the nature of the Thus-Gone
Is also the nature of this world.
There is no nature of the Thus-Gone.
There is no nature of the world."

Nagarjuna
MMK XXII.15-16
seeker242

Post by seeker242 »

cjmacie wrote:Those needing or preferring lactose drink substitutes and using soya milk might scan the internet for information on the pros and cons of using soya products not processed in the ways known in east Asian countries.
Soy milk has long been a traditional beverage in east asia, since the Han dynasty IIRC.
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

Top 3? Probably water, coffee and seltzer water, in that order. I've developed a coffee habit when before I had none.

:coffee:
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
cjmacie

Post by cjmacie »

seeker242 wrote:
cjmacie wrote:Those needing or preferring lactose drink substitutes and using soya milk might scan the internet for information on the pros and cons of using soya products not processed in the ways known in east Asian countries.
Soy milk has long been a traditional beverage in east asia, since the Han dynasty IIRC.
Can you document that? I.e. precisely what's today called "soy milk" and not some traditional ferented soy by-product?

The story is that raw soy is indigestible for humans, is raised (98% of it) world-wide as livestock fodder.

That's not to say that Asian traditions have used processed soy by-products for ages, but always fermented or otherwise transformed into something more digestible by humans.-- things like tofu, miso, tempe, etc.

The trick today is that the soy-bean industry has discovered that using raw soy in human food has much high rate-of-return on investment (ROI). (And, as one of the wonders of the modern age, what's good (profitable) for the food industry turns out also to be good (profitable) for the medical industry.)
seeker242

Post by seeker242 »

cjmacie wrote: Can you document that? I.e. precisely what's today called "soy milk" and not some traditional ferented soy by-product?
It was in a book called "The world of soy". There is a chapter about the early use of the soybean in China.
The story is that raw soy is indigestible for humans
Ok, but I don't see how that applies to soymilk since soymilk isn't raw soy, it's boiled as part of the process to make it.
cjmacie

Post by cjmacie »

seeker242 wrote:
cjmacie wrote: Can you document that? I.e. precisely what's today called "soy milk" and not some traditional ferented soy by-product?
It was in a book called "The world of soy". There is a chapter about the early use of the soybean in China.
Ok, but I don't see how that applies to soymilk since soymilk isn't raw soy, it's boiled as part of the process to make it.
Does that transform it chemically, or just to pasturize?
ihrjordan

Post by ihrjordan »

Its interesting to compare this poll with what ancient Indians especially monks would drink during the Buddha's day. While obviously they drank water; sugar water/cane juice, fruit juice, milk and other so called "fattening" drinks seem to have been consumed much more than Buddhists may be want to do now. I know there are mentions of sugar water in the Pali canon as well as non-intoxicating fruit juices, milk (which is sadly at only 3%) but no mentions of coffee or green or black tea come to mind.
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Water, green tea and thirdly, a couple of concoctions that are not quite 'fruit juices'. They are a little Bragg's apple cider vinegar in water and lemon or lime juice in water.

I agree about avoiding any soy products.
Good and evil have no fixed form. It's as easy to turn from doing bad to doing good as it is to flip over the hand from the back to the palm. It's simply up to us to do it. Master Hsuan Hua.
lostitude

Post by lostitude »

seeker242 wrote:
Soy contains 'anti-trypsin' factors, which make it hard to digest to some extent. They say fermentation solves the issue because those anti-trypsic factors are modified by fermentation and no longer prevent trypsin from digesting proteins. I'm not sure if boiling has the same effect.
seeker242

Post by seeker242 »

lostitude wrote:Soy contains 'anti-trypsin' factors, which make it hard to digest to some extent. They say fermentation solves the issue because those anti-trypsic factors are modified by fermentation and no longer prevent trypsin from digesting proteins. I'm not sure if boiling has the same effect.
It does. Trypsin inhibitors are sensitive to denaturation by heat treatment. Trypsin inhibitors are reduced by ~90% via cooking. This is the reason why the early Chinese started cooking it. They found that consuming it raw led to bloating, etc. Different cultivars of soy also contain different levels. Some cultivars contain close to 50% more than others. Modern day soymilk production chooses the lowest level cultivars. And they processes it even further, beyond cooking, reducing the inhibitors even more, down to 1%-1.5% of the original content. Because the levels are now so low, they are essentially irrelevant.
tuuthne

Post by tuuthne »

I try to avoid anything but water and (green) tea but sometimes I enjoy alcoholfree beers, they can be nice and also nutritious. Found a really good Gösser in my country but can't find much about it online, it's surely not the naturgold one though. :shrug: This is my guilty pleasure, I guess. Would take recommendations if anyone else like them or puerh and green teas. :namaste:
Digity

Post by Digity »

I'm a little obsessed with black tea and soya milk sweetened with stevia/sugar blend. I have two big cups of that a day. However, at work I just have regular milk available so I use that there.