The case against coffee (important)

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
denise

Re: The case against coffee (important)

Post by denise »

anyone remember people going to Mexico for curing cancer...part of that cure was coffee enemas....this was in the 70s
Pax

Post by Pax »

Coffee is a wonderful natural way to help ease asthma symptoms, so I'm a fan.
Sprouticus

Post by Sprouticus »

denise wrote:anyone remember people going to Mexico for curing cancer...part of that cure was coffee enemas....this was in the 70s
http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/08/1 ... -yet/?_r=0
Namo buddhaya
ihrjordan

Post by ihrjordan »

For everyone who likes coffee this is fine. Go ahead and drink your coffee but we should at least keep in mind that no matter what action we do or substance we ingest WILL have an effect and it is never the case that it won't. Are you taking a substance to get a buzz or to get rid of old feelings without arousing new ones? Any motive other than this will not end well :namaste:
ihrjordan

Post by ihrjordan »

Keith wrote:Not sure the Buddha would have promoted broadly rejecting scientific research either: seems like an attachment to views to me.
I don't think western science would have fallen under the scope of what is dhamma. And besides I think the Buddha would have preferred us to use our own discernment when it comes to such matters rather than allowing science to do the thinking for us.
And even if I did play into the scientific research mode of inquiry I still think it's foolish to ignore the links between coffee and pancreatic cancer for example. We often ignore those findings which do not support our understanding but instead grasp to those which do, which won't in the end make thevery former findings any less true. :namaste:
ihrjordan

Post by ihrjordan »

Sprouticus wrote:
binocular wrote:
Buddha Vacana wrote:Other people seem to function much more easily under massive doses of coffee than I do
Yes ... I used to envy them that. I felt like such a loser for not being able to handle coffee. Now, not so much.

ihrjordan wrote:Cigarettes are shunned all over as detrimental to one's health, yet coffee is widely accepted and which is only different in the mode of ingestion and coffee which is a stimulant as opposed to a sedative like nicotine.
There are also many social events and niceties associated with drinking coffee -- a venue for meeting friends, nice cups and other paraphernalia for preparing and consuming coffee, nice coffee-shops with nice tables and nice chairs etc. etc.

If people had to drink coffee from plain cups in some plain settings, alone, then drinking coffee would probably be far less appealing or to fewer people.
I would drink coffee from a shoe if there were no cups. A clean shoe, mind you. Coffee is delicious.
But when have you known the Buddha to teach the the dhamma in such a way as this? "Come Bhikkhus follow your addictions; by so doing you will be healthy, strong and will enjoy a comfortable abiding here and now" I think the proper reason to ingest a substance is for fuel, now I think if we are really honest with ourselves, we wouldn't choose coffee to be our fuel of choice. So why are we drinking it? Favoring tastes brings unfavorable results.
spacenick

Post by spacenick »

It's important to be one own's lamp and, using discernment, to see whether you reduce unskillful states and gain skillful ones (or the opposite) during & after performing a certain action.

I've personally hugely reduced my caffein intake over the past years, simply because I could see for myself that a cup of coffee after a nice deep meditation was felt almost as an aggression. I can see for myself that it triggers anxiety, worry, racing thoughts. So for the alert practitioner that sees these symptoms, this is a pretty easy call. But that might not be the subjective experience for everyone (I usually have a cup of coffee after lunch to help me go through the digestive phase, the early afternoon being generally a sluggish part of the day for me where I don't experience much anxiety or worry)
rolling_boulder

Post by rolling_boulder »

spacenick wrote:I can see for myself that it triggers anxiety, worry, racing thoughts.
Seconding this.
RB
The world is swept away. It does not endure...
The world is without shelter, without protector...
The world is without ownership. One has to pass on, leaving everything behind...
The world is insufficient, insatiable, a slave to craving.
Lucas Oliveira

Post by Lucas Oliveira »

imagine the Buddha saying that suffering is not good.

and some people saying that the Buddha is wrong because science proves that suffering is good. they even show to the Buddha some link with scientific studies that show that suffering is good.

Patience's the austerity supreme.
I participate in this forum using Google Translator. http://translate.google.com.br

http://www.acessoaoinsight.net/
cooran

Post by cooran »

I used always to have Flat White coffee, but have changed to mostly drinking Chamamile Tea. Much better sleep.
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
robertk

Post by robertk »

https://med.stanford.edu/news/all-news/ ... finds.html
Caffeine may counter age-related inflammation

A chronic inflammatory process that occurs in some, but not all, older people may trigger cardiovascular problems, a new Stanford study shows. Part of the solution might be found in a cup of coffee.
User156079

Post by User156079 »

Caffeine in tea and coffee, imho it is a definite no-no as It is not an appropriate way to handle sleepiness/drowsiness. According to science it works by blocking Adenosine receptors, Adenosine is widely found in nature and plays an important role in biochemical processes such as regulating blood flow, communicating the need for rest, supresses arousal and promoting sleep. Caffeine has a relatively long half-life, so a buildup of caffeine is almost inevitable for a daily user. Furthermore afaik Adenosine receptors are found in muscles, heart and brain and caffeine affects all of them.
robertk

Post by robertk »

http://time.com/5033881/health-benefits ... ng-coffee/
Coffee is increasingly earning scientists’ approval. Studies continue to suggest that the beverage may have some beneficial effects on health.

In the latest analysis, published in the BMJ, researchers scanned nearly 220 studies on coffee and found that overall, coffee drinkers may enjoy more health benefits than people who don’t drink the brew.

The scientists, led by Robin Poole from the University of Southampton in the UK, learned that people who drank coffee were 17% less likely to die early during the study period from any cause, 19% less likely to die of heart disease and 18% less likely to develop cancer, compared to people who did not drink coffee.

Other recent studies have linked coffee drinking to lower rates of heart disease, early death and diseases like liver cirrhosis, type 2 diabetes and even neurological conditions like Parkinson’s and Alzheimer’s disease. Poole’s group found that the strongest benefit occurred among people who drank around three cups of coffee a day.

“I think now we can be reasonably reassured that overall, coffee drinking is a safe habit,” says Dr. Eliseo Guallar, professor of epidemiology and medicine at Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, who wrote an editorial accompanying the study.

MORE: Here’s Another Reason to Feel Good About Drinking Coffee

Other studies have tried to tease apart which ingredients in coffee contribute to its health benefits. Those might include its antioxidants, which can combat cancer, and anti-inflammatory compounds, which can reduce the risk of chronic diseases such as heart conditions and even neurodegenerative disorders like Alzheimer’s, as well as the risk of liver diseases like cirrhosis and cancer.

While they say that the results support moderate coffee drinking as a relatively healthy habit, both Poole and Guallar say the findings don’t go far enough to prompt anyone to change their coffee-drinking habits in the hopes of improving their health. The study did not confirm, for example, that people who do not currently drink coffee should start adding a cup or two a day in order to lower their risk of getting heart disease or any of the other chronic conditions studied. The data also do not support the idea that current coffee drinkers should drink even more coffee to enhance whatever benefits they might be receiving. Too much coffee, the data suggest, starts to bend the benefit curve back down.

The only negative health effects the review found were among women, who were at slightly higher risk of developing fractures if they drank more coffee, and pregnant women. Pregnant women who drank more coffee tended to have higher rates of miscarriage, more premature births and more babies born with low birthweight than women who drank less coffee, the study found.

MORE: Can Coffee Make Your Workout Easier?

Poole notes that the analysis included a number of different studies, each with different designs, and not all of them may have adjusted for potential confounding effects that could skew the connection between coffee and health outcomes. Coffee drinkers, for example, also tend to smoke more than non-drinkers, and smoking has an effect on early death, heart disease and certain cancers.

The findings should be reassuring for coffee drinkers, as long as they drink in moderation, Poole says. Further studies will hopefully look deeper into the type and amount of coffee that confers the most health benefit.

Sponsored Stories
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

robertk wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:55 am http://time.com/5033881/health-benefits ... ng-coffee/
Coffee is increasingly earning scientists’ approval. Studies continue to suggest that the beverage may have some beneficial effects on health.
Sponsored Stories
Presumably it depends on the strength of the coffee, not just on the volume consumed.
Buddha save me from new-agers!
bodom

Post by bodom »

robertk wrote:Coffee is increasingly earning scientists’ approval. Studies continue to suggest that the beverage may have some beneficial effects on health..
Thanks. Enjoying my morning cup while reading through this thread. :coffee:

:namaste:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB