The case against coffee (important)

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
DNS
Site Admin

Re: The case against coffee (important)

Post by DNS »

:thumbsup: Coffee is good. :coffee:

When I found out that tea has fluoride in it, I went looking around to see what was healthy to drink. Herbal teas are good, especially hibiscus tea, is very healthy and no fluoride. I'm not one of those conspiracy theorists, but black tea does have a high concentration of fluoride, which can be harmful in large quantities. The tea plant naturally captures large amounts of fluoride from the ground. So I did some research on some reputable sites and coffee kept coming back up as a surprisingly healthy beverage, no fluoride, good for the heart and so many things.

So now I drink coffee, hibiscus tea and occasionally some jasmine tea, in that order. :tongue:
m0rl0ck

Post by m0rl0ck »

robertk wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:22 am https://med.stanford.edu/news/all-news/ ... finds.html
Caffeine may counter age-related inflammation

A chronic inflammatory process that occurs in some, but not all, older people may trigger cardiovascular problems, a new Stanford study shows. Part of the solution might be found in a cup of coffee.
Thanks for the great links!

If you are into serious caffien abuse i can heartily recommend a moka pot.

http://www.mokabees.com/how-to-make-mok ... ate-guide/

Other than a porcelain tea pot, its my favorite delivery system.
“The truth knocks on the door and you say, "Go away, I'm looking for the truth," and so it goes away. Puzzling.” ― Robert M. Pirsig
Dharmasherab

Post by Dharmasherab »

The problem with coffee (as well as tea) is that it is not beneficial for human consumption. Coffee is a stimulant for the nervous system and it had negative 'prana'. Negative prana means that it shifts the 'subtle energies' in the mind downwards into the body. But in meditation that is not something you dont want because you are at your best when subtle energy is shifted as much as possible into the mind. Also coffee just like chocolate contains an alkaloid which is not good for the brain. The brain responds to this toxic product by releasing serotonin. This is why people get the 'feel good' effect from coffee as well as chocolate because the brain reacts to theobromine by releasing serotonin.

Not only coffee but any type of neurostimulant is best avoided in the 8Fold Path as meditation is an essential part of it. Examples of foods which are negative prana include onions, garlic and green pepper.
“When one does not understand death, life can be very confusing.” - Ajahn Chah
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

m0rl0ck wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:47 pm
robertk wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:22 am https://med.stanford.edu/news/all-news/ ... finds.html

A chronic inflammatory process that occurs in some, but not all, older people may trigger cardiovascular problems, a new Stanford study shows. Part of the solution might be found in a cup of coffee.

I've used these and they are good but I find them too slow and fussy. For me, the best trade-off between convenience and quality is the 'plunger' type of pot.

iu.jpeg
iu.jpeg (39.96 KiB) Viewed 6100 times
:coffee:
Kim
Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando »

Over the years I’ve experimented with virtually every coffee-making device, with the exception of the cezve (as I don’t much like Turkish coffee) and the vacuum coffee-maker (which I only recently learned about). Still, despite the insistence of some of my Thai colleagues that nothing beats coffee filtered through an old bowl-wiping cloth...

cloth.jpg
cloth.jpg (145.79 KiB) Viewed 6078 times
I always revert in the end to my good old moka:

moka.jpg
moka.jpg (83.77 KiB) Viewed 6078 times
While for grinding the beans I use this nice manual grinder from Vietnam. From time to time people offer me electrical grinders, but I decline their offers as I’ve never known one whose friction didn’t burn the beans at least slightly.

grinder.jpg
grinder.jpg (48.32 KiB) Viewed 6078 times

Yena yena hi maññanti,
tato taṃ hoti aññathā.

In whatever way they conceive it,
It turns out otherwise.
(Sn. 588)
robertk

Post by robertk »

Thanks for the tips Venerable.

I find the coffee shops in Vietnam the best i have tried, maybe the implements help.
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

For a coffee treat, it's hard to beat that Vietnamese coffee with sweetened condensed milk. Add in a bowl of pho as a meal and you are set my friend.
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
m0rl0ck

Post by m0rl0ck »

Kim OHara wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:21 pm
m0rl0ck wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:47 pm

I've used these and they are good but I find them too slow and fussy. For me, the best trade-off between convenience and quality is the 'plunger' type of pot.

iu.jpeg

Kim
I have seen those and been curious. How fine a grind can you get away with using those?
“The truth knocks on the door and you say, "Go away, I'm looking for the truth," and so it goes away. Puzzling.” ― Robert M. Pirsig
seeker242

Post by seeker242 »

The US Beverage Guidance Panel, independently assembled to provide recommendations on benefits and risks of various beverage categories, found tea and coffee, without creamer or sweetener, tied as the number-two healthiest beverages, second only to water!

More research on the health benefits of tea and coffee is needed, but one thing is for certain: The addition of cream, sugar, whipped cream, and flavorings can turn coffee or tea from a healthful beverage into a not-so-healthful one.
:smile: https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritions ... ull-story/
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Dhammanando wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:18 am While for grinding the beans I use this nice manual grinder from Vietnam. From time to time people offer me electrical grinders, but I decline their offers as I’ve never known one whose friction didn’t burn the beans at least slightly.
grinder.jpg
And a very impressive grinder it is, Bhante. And the coffee you made me using it last year was excellent!

:heart:
Mike
Disciple

Post by Disciple »

7 eleven coffee is good and free medium cup if you buy gas. The only downside is you have to pour it yourself.
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

m0rl0ck wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:15 pm I have seen those [plungers] and been curious. How fine a grind can you get away with using in those?
Very fine, since coffee grounds eventually sink anyway. (There's a beautiful little article somewhere about the difference in design between teapots and coffee pots. It's called "Tea Rises, Coffee Sinks") The plunger just encourages them to sink and then stops them being swilled out when you pour.

Kim
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
Kim OHara wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:21 pm For me, the best trade-off between convenience and quality is the 'plunger' type of pot.
Likewise.

On work days, I'll usually have one homebrew before I leave for work, then a $2 readymade flat white from a cafe on the way to work. Then for brunch (since I usually neither have breakfast or lunch), I'll have a strong flat white as part of a food and coffee combo at a bakery near work. That's usually it, but if I have any more throughout the day, it's usually free push button machine coffee from work.

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
denise

Post by denise »

have tried cold brew making at home...it makes a concentrate to keep in the frig....lowers the acid a bit because the coffee is not heated and cooked...first tried it in the 80s and have started again.... :coffee:
trefoil

Post by trefoil »

This thread has been a good read, I appreciate all the differing opinions.

I am trying to watch my caffeine consumption very carefully. It is clear to me that there are feelings of craving and attachment mixed up with it. I think there may be some benefits in meditation but only in minute amounts. Unfortunately I am fully addicted to coffee at the moment, so instead of subtle benefits I am dealing with what I see as a more serious issue.