Is it possible to fix posture kamma issues?

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
TonyConrad

Is it possible to fix posture kamma issues?

Post by TonyConrad » Mon May 23, 2016 2:55 am

Looking to see if anyone else out there that may have recovered from a slouching posture might give me some tips.

I slouch when I sit on a chair and when I sit to meditate.
Please let me know where the following body parts should be if I was sitting in a chair-how do you do it?
  • Head
    Neck
    Shoulders
    Chest
    Belly
    Rear
    Knees
    Feet
What stretches/exercises should be done to correct it?
Whenever I try to sit up straight there is a lot of tension in my abdomen and chest and back, so I end it after a few minutes and slouch again.

As a side note I do like to ride bikes - do you see half lotus or sitting cross legged as a knee injury inducing activity?
Is sucking in my stomach required and if so is it ok to do all day/long periods of time?

Thanks!
:bow:
They .. will not listen when discourses that are words of the Tathagata ..are being recited. They will not lend ear, will not set their hearts on knowing them, will not regard these teachings as worth grasping or mastering. But they will listen when discourses that are literary works — the works of poets, elegant in sound, elegant in rhetoric, the work of outsiders, words of disciples — are recited. ..Thus from corrupt Dhamma comes corrupt discipline; from corrupt discipline, corrupt Dhamma.

This, monks, is the fourth future danger .. work to get rid of it.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

SarathW

Re: Is it possible to fix posture kamma issues?

Post by SarathW » Mon May 23, 2016 4:26 am

I found some Yoga help to improve my posture.
Please consult a professional before start this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBu-pQG6sTY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”

Mkoll

Post by Mkoll » Mon May 23, 2016 6:02 am

TonyConrad wrote:Looking to see if anyone else out there that may have recovered from a slouching posture might give me some tips.

I slouch when I sit on a chair and when I sit to meditate.
Please let me know where the following body parts should be if I was sitting in a chair-how do you do it?
  • Head
    Neck
    Shoulders
    Chest
    Belly
    Rear
    Knees
    Feet
The torso should line up straight with the natural curves of the spine in place. Not rigid or floppy, but rather relaxed and alert.
TonyConrad wrote:What stretches/exercises should be done to correct it?
Whenever I try to sit up straight there is a lot of tension in my abdomen and chest and back, so I end it after a few minutes and slouch again.
Do you do any strength training for your core and back? It sounds like some of the muscles may be weak so doing some strength training for them will help.
TonyConrad wrote:As a side note I do like to ride bikes - do you see half lotus or sitting cross legged as a knee injury inducing activity?
It depends on how flexible you are. I injured my knee in doing half and quarter lotus because I wasn't flexible enough and forced myself. This was when I first started practicing and that initial enthusiasm blinded me into carelessness. Please don't make the same mistake I did.
TonyConrad wrote:Is sucking in my stomach required and if so is it ok to do all day/long periods of time?
I don't think it's required. If I find myself sucking in my stomach during meditation, it's usually because I've stopped being mindful and become tense and lost in thought.
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa

Mothers Lap

Post by Mothers Lap » Mon May 23, 2016 11:04 am

Strength training and yoga as said above are very good, if you can build your lower-middle trapezius, rhomboids and rear deltoids, these will pull your shoulders back and lift your chest.

Neck stretches:
Lacking mindfulness, we commit every wrong.
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

The Thinker

Post by The Thinker » Mon May 23, 2016 6:31 pm

Having problems sitting, Gonna try this! - https://youtu.be/Z8LOhZmuVaE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Watch your heart, observe. Be the observer, be the knower, not the condition" Ajahn Sumedho volume5 - The Wheel Of Truth

The Thinker

Post by The Thinker » Mon May 23, 2016 6:39 pm

Yes tight knees a big problem for me, 15 years of doing a golf stance with much pressure on knees and lower legs on a moving vehicle(not good) - https://youtu.be/fYDtd2RlhZ8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Watch your heart, observe. Be the observer, be the knower, not the condition" Ajahn Sumedho volume5 - The Wheel Of Truth

Pinetree

Post by Pinetree » Tue May 24, 2016 2:28 pm

For slouching what has helped me a lot is alternating sitting and walking meditation (with hands touching behind my back). Start with 5-10 minutes each.

These exercises are easy and should be helpful for a slouched back, can be done few times daily:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SoC1P-Aoywk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JA3O0NVb-sk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This is just an approximation, that you can try and don't try to force it, if it's uncomfortable:

- stay with your back against the wall
- if you can, bring your left hand towards your back, with your hand's backside touching the middle of your back (elbow approximately horizontal)
- bring the right hand in a similar position, with the back of the fingers touching the other hand
- adjust your chin to be close to horizontal
- the back of your head, upper back, palm and buttocks should touch the wall, elbows close to the wall
- when you sit, the height of the chair should ideally allow the knee to be slightly lower than the hip

TonyConrad

Post by TonyConrad » Wed May 25, 2016 2:07 am

Thanks everyone!
I've done searches on the internet before, but this is much better!

:anjali:
They .. will not listen when discourses that are words of the Tathagata ..are being recited. They will not lend ear, will not set their hearts on knowing them, will not regard these teachings as worth grasping or mastering. But they will listen when discourses that are literary works — the works of poets, elegant in sound, elegant in rhetoric, the work of outsiders, words of disciples — are recited. ..Thus from corrupt Dhamma comes corrupt discipline; from corrupt discipline, corrupt Dhamma.

This, monks, is the fourth future danger .. work to get rid of it.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

sattva

Post by sattva » Tue May 31, 2016 10:45 am

Hi Tony,
Thought I would also pass along some of this for you. It is from a Zen perspective, but still you might find something here helpful.

Image Image Image
Image I recommend one of these wedge types of cushions as shown in the very last sitting in a chair sketch, for meditating using a chair. They are inexpensive. I bought one on ebay. It helps put your body at the right angle to stay upright. I think it also helps to do core building in the abdominal muscles to help support the back. I really need to be working on my posture more myself as I have some degeneration in my spine (getting old!)

How to get in the right position:
"...bend forward so as to thrust your buttocks out, then slowly bring the trunk to an erect posture. The head should be straight; if looked at from the side, your ears should be in line with your shoulders and the tip of your nose in line with your navel The body from the waist up should be weightless, free from pressure or strain" from THE THREE PILLARS OF ZEN by Philip Kapleau. This applies to all the positions whether in a chair or sitting in any of the lotus positions. Seiza benches also help create a good posture. You might want to try one of those.

I hope you keep us posted. I am curious to know how you progress!
with metta,
sattva