Shingles

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
sattva

Shingles

Post by sattva » Tue May 03, 2016 8:37 am

It is 4:30 am here. I thought I could make it through the night without a pain pill. I couldn't. Just so you know, I almost never take pain medications. I had two operations recently in February and March. Each time they gave me pain medication to take home. Each time the bottles weren't open, even though I had some pain. Then, I got shingles. All the stories you hear are true. It can be excruciatingly painful and it is worse at night because there is no way to sleep without putting pressure on it (That is if it is in one of the most common areas, the waist or the back). You don't catch shingles from someone else. If you ever had chickenpox, you can get shingles. One in three adults will get shingles. It is more prevalent if you are over 60, which I am and if your immune system isn't up to par. I can't help thinking that the two surgeries back to back caused this. Whatever the case, I am writing this to encourage anyone who is over the age of 60 to get the vaccine. Here in the states, most insurance companies won't pay until then, but if you have enough money, I would suggest getting the vaccine even earlier. There is a slight chance you could get shingles, just not as bad. Also, the earlier you catch it, the more opportunity for an antiviral drug to help. My first symptoms were complete exhaustion where I had to go to bed much earlier than usual and then slept much longer than normal and a feeling of being stung or bitten with nothing visible to correspond to the feeling. Then, I noticed the rash. For me, I had the typical "shingles belt" on my waist. Don't let the initial, "Oh this isn't too bad!" fool you. It becomes increasingly painful. Rashes are usually on one side of the body. If this happens to you, at this point, immediately get to a doctor and get on an antiviral medication. They say it can lessen the severity of it then and also the long-term problems. I talked to a nurse who had shingles in February. She said the pain didn't leave for several months and the area where she first got it is still sensitive. Someone else I know who had it said she cried like a baby. There are some people who don't get it so bad, but those who do will tell you it is the worse pain they ever had in their life. I keep thinking that I am doing better. I can get through the day without a pain pill, but I apparently still need it at night and before dialysis (I am in a reclining position in dialysis). If you have been wondering whether to get the shingle vaccine, DO IT!
:anjali:

SarathW

Re: Shingles

Post by SarathW » Tue May 03, 2016 9:30 am

Yes I know what it is.
I hope you get well soon.

This is my experience.

http://dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... in+killers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”

sattva

Post by sattva » Tue May 03, 2016 10:35 am

SarathW wrote:Yes I know what it is.

This is my experience.

http://dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... in+killers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
My experiences have been somewhat similar. My back and belly hurt also. I did have the body (and the pain with it) drop away during meditation. That was pretty wonderful! I have had nights where I didn't take anything, but I wake up every hour or two without it. The pain medicine I am taking is not very strong and the one doctor wanted to give me something stronger. I do feel that my practice has helped tremendously in dealing with this. I would still recommend that people get the vaccine and although I usually don't take pain medicine, there are times (and this has been one of them for me), where it is needed.

Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara » Tue May 03, 2016 12:09 pm

Yes, shingles can be very unpleasant.
Something that may be useful to know is that the virus which causes chicken pox and returns as shingles is related to the herpes virus which causes cold sores, and to a few others. All of them can lie dormant in your body for months or years after you first suffer the illness and 'get over it', i.e. the symptoms go away and you feel fine again. And they tend to come back when our immune system is weakened by other stresses - e.g. cold sores when we have minor illnesses like colds.
Ideally, of course, we should stay fit, healthy and positive all the time and they wouldn't come back at all! In the real world, we have to be prepared to deal with them as best we can.
More info on causes here: http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-cond ... n-20019574

:namaste:
Kim

Aloka

Post by Aloka » Tue May 03, 2016 5:21 pm

Hope you get better soon, sattva. :hug:

sattva

Post by sattva » Wed May 04, 2016 11:59 am

SarathW wrote:Yes I know what it is.

This is my experience.

http://dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... in+killers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Forgot to thank you for your well wishes!!! :anjali:
Kim OHara wrote:Yes, shingles can be very unpleasant.
Something that may be useful to know is that the virus which causes chicken pox and returns as shingles is related to the herpes virus which causes cold sores, and to a few others. All of them can lie dormant in your body for months or years after you first suffer the illness and 'get over it', i.e. the symptoms go away and you feel fine again. And they tend to come back when our immune system is weakened by other stresses - e.g. cold sores when we have minor illnesses like colds.
Ideally, of course, we should stay fit, healthy and positive all the time and they wouldn't come back at all! In the real world, we have to be prepared to deal with them as best we can.
More info on causes here: http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-cond ... n-20019574

:namaste:
Kim
Thanks for the link, Kim!
Aloka wrote:Hope you get better soon, sattva. :hug:
Thanks for the hug and the kind thoughts. :smile: I do think I am improving, just not as fast as I would like! This is a good situation to practice patience!