Health Officials to prove death at Dhamma Detox retreat center in Bangkok

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
suriyopama

Health Officials to prove death at Dhamma Detox retreat center in Bangkok

Post by suriyopama »

"Health officials inspected a well-known dhamma retreat centre in Bangkok on Wednesday, following a report about a woman thought to have died after detox therapy at the centre and at her home in Nakhon Ratchasima"

It seems that she was eating only coconut juice.

Article at Bangkok Post:
http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/general ... etox-death

Does anyone know which center could this be?
samseva

Re: Health Officials to prove death at Dhamma Detox retreat center in Bangkok

Post by samseva »

suriyopama wrote:It seems that she was eating only coconut juice.
It's not starvation that killed her, that is for sure. She had been drinking coconut juice (and eating a bit of fruit according to the article) for three days. A human being can last 1 month and up to 2 months with only water. With coconut juice, which is abundant in carbohydrates and minerals such as potassium, she could easily have lasted 2 months. It is the detox (or and adverse reaction the herbal concoction) that killed her.
suriyopama

Post by suriyopama »

That's right. Coconut juice is very healthy, and has more potassium than bananas.

According to the article, the authorities are concentrating on finding if the center is properly registered. I hope that there would be a medical investigation. The woman may had some condition that conduced to the fatal end, regardless of the diet.
lyndon taylor

Post by lyndon taylor »

Illegal drug overdoses are pretty damn common at detox centres, did they do a drug screen on the woman after she died. That would be the first place to look, more fruitful than the drugs in the coconut juice angle IMHO.
18 years ago I made one of the most important decisions of my life and entered a local Cambodian Buddhist Temple as a temple boy and, for only 3 weeks, an actual Therevada Buddhist monk. I am not a scholar, great meditator, or authority on Buddhism, but Buddhism is something I love from the Bottom of my heart. It has taught me sobriety, morality, peace, and very importantly that my suffering is optional, and doesn't have to run my life. I hope to give back what little I can to the Buddhist community, sincerely former monk John

http://trickleupeconomictheory.blogspot.com/
dagon

Post by dagon »

suriyopama wrote:That's right. Coconut juice is very healthy, and has more potassium than bananas.

According to the article, the authorities are concentrating on finding if the center is properly registered. I hope that there would be a medical investigation. The woman may had some condition that conduced to the fatal end, regardless of the diet.
Or may have had a medical condition which such a repeated diet (more so if it also contained bananas) could have made fatal at that time. For example Kidney disease.
suriyopama

Post by suriyopama »

They are talking about it on TV right now and my wife is translating to me.

They blame the detox treatment. They say that they didn't know how to prepare it properly, and they were careless to leave the woman go back home.

While she was driving home she felt very weak and having spams. She called the center and they told her to stay at home taking the detox. On the next day she died of a heart failure.