Ways to simplify your life

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
anthbrown84

Re: Ways to simplify your life

Post by anthbrown84 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:25 pm

SarathW wrote:You can try meditating sitting in a chair.
I was told westerners should in fact sit in chairs because it is not natural for us to sit cross legged on the floor...

makes sense to me i guess

i dont get to hung up on posture these days... maybe im wrong who knows?
"Your job in practise is to know the difference between the heart and the activity of the heart, that is it, it is that simple" Ajahn Tate

Mkoll

Post by Mkoll » Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:19 pm

anthbrown84 wrote:
SarathW wrote:You can try meditating sitting in a chair.
I was told westerners should in fact sit in chairs because it is not natural for us to sit cross legged on the floor...

makes sense to me i guess

i dont get to hung up on posture these days... maybe im wrong who knows?
Depends on the Westerner. My sister is double jointed and did gymnastics when she was little. She can get into Lotus position easily. OTOH, the one time I tried Lotus position, I did some damage to one of my knee's ligaments. Now, sitting in even quarter Lotus quickly leads to pain there and upon walking.

So if you're flexible, you should give floor sitting a go. If not, be careful. Nothing wrong with meditating in a chair.
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa

SarathW

Post by SarathW » Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:53 pm

I did some damage to one of my knee's ligaments
Yes I did the same.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”

Saoshun

Post by Saoshun » Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:11 pm

Simple mind naturally tends to create simple life. If you try make simple life with entangled mind it will only create suffering.
Remember… the Buddha had said that everyone living in this world is crazy, by the phrase, “Sabbē prutajjana ummattakā”; excluding the Arahants, everyone else is crazy. Would you get angry if a mad person scolds? Do we get angry for a crazy thing done by a crazy person? Just think about it! :candle: