Robin Williams, depression, suicide and meditation

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
Mkoll

Re: Robin Williams, depression, suicide and meditation

Post by Mkoll » Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:15 pm

Spiny Norman wrote:
Mkoll wrote:Emptiness sickness
Does that mean sick of thinking about emptiness? :tongue:
No, it means not being able to step out of one's conceptual box of Buddhist views and put oneself in the shoes of others. It's not realizing that not everyone has the same outlook and tools at one's disposal as oneself. It's not understanding that the best response is sometimes compassion rather than trying to teach others one's views or meditation techniques.
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa

Dinsdale

Post by Dinsdale » Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:37 pm

Anagarika wrote:"Monks, a statement endowed with five factors is well-spoken, not ill-spoken. It is blameless & unfaulted by knowledgeable people. Which five?
"It is spoken at the right time. It is spoken in truth. It is spoken affectionately. It is spoken beneficially. It is spoken with a mind of good-will."
— AN 5.198
:anjali:
Buddha save me from new-agers!

Digity

Post by Digity » Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:05 pm

Ben and Dan, thank you for sharing. I think it's important to be open about these things and share them. Sometimes we can think everyone around us doesn't have problems and struggles, but this is not the case...we all do.

Robin Williams had it rough. He was broke, was just diagnosed with Parkinson's, owed tons of money from two divorces, had his sitcom canceled in the first season, had to do movies like Ms. Doubtfire 2 purely for the money so he could make ends meet. Not saying this rationalizes what he did, but it provides a greater understanding of the pain he was in. I wish him the best in his next life.