Best meditation cushion for bad back?

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
callmetheseeker

Best meditation cushion for bad back?

Post by callmetheseeker »

I have back problems due to bad posture and sitting around too much. Mainly I meditate on my bed, or the couch. But maybe a meditation cushion would be more comfortable? I tried a zafu/zabuton once and I felt all bent. Don't know if maybe it was because the zafu was too high for me as I'm petite -5'4''. Or are all them about the same size? Anyway, I saw this one on the internet that is shaped like a crescent moon (actually, more like a behind :tongue:), is it good? Which one do you use, do you like it and which would you recommend me? Thanks.
Mkoll

Re: Best meditation cushion for bad back?

Post by Mkoll »

I have a crescent-shaped one but I don't use it. It's helpful for supporting the legs which may let one divert more energy into keeping the back straight

I think that unless you have a disorder or a serious old injury preventing you from keeping your back straight without support, you can train yourself to do so.
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
Monkey Mind

Post by Monkey Mind »

I have chased after many different types of cushions, each has advantages and disadvantages, and those are especially related to your body type.

I agree with the above advice: unless you have a major back injury or problem, it is better to learn to sit with minimal supports. (This might take awhile, starting with a full buckwheat pillow and gradually reducing the grains to the smallest possible cushion that is still comfortable or tolerable.) I am a heavier person, and I swear by a crescent-moon buck-wheat cushion. Skinnier people swear by a round, smaller cushion. Really skinny people seem to prefer a small/ short rectangular cushion.

I do have a major back injury, so during long retreats I sit with one of these: http://www.nadachair.com/products/
However, I am trading back support for blood circulation on my legs; during a 1-hour sit at least one of my legs is guaranteed to "fall asleep".
"As I am, so are others;
as others are, so am I."
Having thus identified self and others,
harm no one nor have them harmed.

Sutta Nipāta 3.710
Ben

Post by Ben »

I am using two futon cushions. The same ones I've had for ten years. They're nearly squashed flat. I also use a small Persian-style prayer mat and a shawl.
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
m0rl0ck

Post by m0rl0ck »

I have some back pain with sitting. I dont know if cushion choice is much of a factor since you end up in about the same posture which ever one you choose.

I prefer a buckwheat cushion because its stable, however buckwheat is very firm, its a lot like sitting on sand and a little too firm for some peoples comfort, i have heard.

If you are having some minor back pain as a result of holding the posture, i would recommend doing something to strengthen and gently stretch your back.

Walking is good exercise for the back and if you are in good health otherwise and are just experiencing minor muscle pain in your back as a result of holding the sitting posture, some gentle yoga stretches can help.

What ever you do just go easy, especially at first and keep in mind that as you make a habit of meditation practice, your body will tend to adjust to doing it.
“The truth knocks on the door and you say, "Go away, I'm looking for the truth," and so it goes away. Puzzling.” ― Robert M. Pirsig
Monkey Mind

Post by Monkey Mind »

Sorry if I seem to be overly-focued on this topic. With some searching, I found this video that circulated here a few months ago; a little new-age, but I think the structural advice is sound; at least it was helpful for me. I am not an expert:

http://youtu.be/qil5mmjuaIs?list=PL375955A026031014
"As I am, so are others;
as others are, so am I."
Having thus identified self and others,
harm no one nor have them harmed.

Sutta Nipāta 3.710
callmetheseeker

Post by callmetheseeker »

@MonkeyMind Sorry? No way, mate. I'm thankful, now I have another option to look into. ^^
purple planet

Post by purple planet »

I meditate sitting on the bed with a pillow behind my back and the pillow is leaning on the wall -

I do walking meditation before the sitting and i do it the same amount of time i do the sitting - this is how the tradition i follow meditates if you can do walking meditation with the technique you are using i would say that its good to add the walking meditation if only for orthopedic reasons

some good posts above just adding my solution
sattva

Post by sattva »

Someone told me that these cushions helped them tremendously. I plan on saving up for one and will hopefully get one after Christmas.

http://www.dharma.net/monstore/index.php?cPath=104_105
http://www.chatzy.com/25904628501622