Coffee may lower suicide risk by 50 percent

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
Jhana4

Re: Coffee may lower suicide risk by 50 percent

Post by Jhana4 »

I kind of chuckled reading the title for this thread and thinking about how poor science journalism contributes to articles with contridictory titles. Recently, it was in the news that people under 50 who drank 4 cups of coffee a day increased their risk of an early death. Well, that would certainly lower the (intentional) suicide rate :D
In reading the scriptures, there are two kinds of mistakes:
One mistake is to cling to the literal text and miss the inner principles.
The second mistake is to recognize the principles but not apply them to your own mind, so that you waste time and just make them into causes of entanglement.
BubbaBuddhist

Re: Coffee may lower suicide risk by 50 percent

Post by BubbaBuddhist »

Just for the heck of it, and for the sake of scholarly integrity,I went without coffee for ten days. I am pleased to report there was absolutely no effect on my behavior whatsoever, nor did I commit suicide. At least I think I didn't. I may be a ghost, however. Anyway, I consider the issue settled and I went back to my hedonistic tendencies, and am currently enjoying a cup of coffee as black as my soul.

Come to think of it, I've also gone long periods without chocolate, sleep and sex without thinking it's the end of the world. I just prefer not to do without pleasurable experiences if they're available. There's a lot of joy in life; I see no reason not to partake thereof. My cat seems to agree with me.

BB
Author of Redneck Buddhism: or Will You Reincarnate as Your Own Cousin?