Does fasting develop new neurons?

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
SarathW

Does fasting develop new neurons?

Post by SarathW »

Michael Mosley discuss how fasting help to create new neurons. Very interestin documentary.

Eat, fast and live longer with Michael Mosley.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x18a1b ... _lifestyle" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by SarathW on Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Ben

Re: Does fasting develop new neurons?

Post by Ben »

Yes, I was watching the documentary on TV tonight.
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

I was trying to fast for many years without much success. Technically I have never fast in my life.
Now I am more convinced and reason to do it. I have no doubt that fasting will improve my health and perhaps intelligence.
This is the reason I like science :idea: which gives an extra boost to my faith in Buddha, Dhamma and Sangha.
Ben

Post by Ben »

I think its an interesting idea. There seems to be other health benefits of intermittant fasting which are also encouraging.
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

cooran

Post by cooran »

Just watched the video. Very interesting - probably worth a try.

With metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
Ben

Post by Ben »

cooran wrote:Just watched the video. Very interesting - probably worth a try.

With metta
Chris
Ah yes, but I still reserve the right to eat icecream while watching "The Biggest Loser"!!

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

corrine

Post by corrine »

Just a personal observation. Way back when, in my twenties when I was doing a macrobiotic diet, I did a thirty day water and juice fast. After the fast I developed several issues that the doc said were a result of the fast. My metabolism sank like a rock - from then I cannot eat more than 1200 calories a day without gaining weight - doc said the fast made my metabolism super efficient because it had gone into starvation mode. And I developed some severe digestive issues that lasted for a very long time. I might add that I did the fast for health, not spiritual, reasons. I would not do it again. I did not see any positive results, from a health perspective. I have done shorter fasts for spiritual reasons, without obvious health problems resulting.

That is just what happened to me. I eat carefully and healthy now. I am lacto vegetarian, emphasis on organic fruits and veg and whole grains. I eat three times a day as I tend to develop very low blood sugar and faint if I go more than a certain number of hours without eating. Maybe because I am old.

corrine :namaste:
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

“Despite unfounded fears and negative beliefs about briefly abstaining from food, it is clear from the medical literature and from decades of professional experience at fasting centers around the world that a healthy person, of normal weight, with normal kidney function, and who is not on any medications, can safely consume only water (as their thirst dictates) over the course of 120 hours (5 days) and predictably emerge not only undamaged, but with increased feelings of health and well-being.

https://www.alv.org.au/justice/reasons-for-fasting/