The Extraordinary Science of Addictive Junk Food

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
Justsit

Re: The Extraordinary Science of Addictive Junk Food

Post by Justsit »

beeblebrox wrote:It is naive to think that everyone would have the means (even the slightest ones) or the ability to do a basic research, to judge the information's values, or to keep up to date on things... but even then, if it was everyone's own responsibility to check up on everything themselves, especially by digging up in the way that you suggested, then there will be no time for them to do anything that is worthwhile.
The basic research is already done, all that is required is to have sufficient motivation to access it.
Many people seem to have time for video games, The Bachelor, Entertainment Tonight, net surfing (!), marathon shopping at the mall, football, or whatever. Perhaps a few minutes on one's health isn't such a burden?

It's not rocket science. Eat real food, as close to the natural form as you can get. Avoid all processed food, manipulated food, fast food, and pretty much anything that comes off a production line or in a box; eat certified organic as often as possible (not 'Natural," which is a useless term for assessing healthy foods). Drink clean water. Basic common sense healthy behaviors.

Unfortunately, many people have learned helplessness and wait for someone else to tell them what to do and come solve their problems. Or, they want a problem fixed but are not willing to change or step outside their comfort zone to fix it. As an RN, not without compassion, I've found this is just a sad fact.

Each of us is ultimately responsible for caring for our own bodies. Science and the government can only do so much, you have to do your part. Is that unreasonable?? :shrug:
Justsit

Post by Justsit »

robertk wrote:a favorite recipe...

:jawdrop:

At first I thought that was a joke :rolleye:
robertk

Post by robertk »

Justsit wrote:

never knock home cooking.
Justsit

Post by Justsit »

robertk wrote:
Justsit wrote:

never knock home cooking.
:rofl:
Mr Man

Post by Mr Man »

Justsit wrote:
The basic research is already done, all that is required is to have sufficient motivation to access it.
Many people seem to have time for video games, The Bachelor, Entertainment Tonight, net surfing (!), marathon shopping at the mall, football, or whatever. Perhaps a few minutes on one's health isn't such a burden?

It's not rocket science. Eat real food, as close to the natural form as you can get. Avoid all processed food, manipulated food, fast food, and pretty much anything that comes off a production line or in a box; eat certified organic as often as possible (not 'Natural," which is a useless term for assessing healthy foods). Drink clean water. Basic common sense healthy behaviors.

Unfortunately, many people have learned helplessness and wait for someone else to tell them what to do and come solve their problems. Or, they want a problem fixed but are not willing to change or step outside their comfort zone to fix it. As an RN, not without compassion, I've found this is just a sad fact.

Each of us is ultimately responsible for caring for our own bodies. Science and the government can only do so much, you have to do your part. Is that unreasonable?? :shrug:
Justsit, have you got any kids? Oh and all that other stuff that you wrote, someone taught you that.
Justsit

Post by Justsit »

Mr Man wrote:... all that other stuff that you wrote, someone taught you that.
Of course, I read and study a variety of sources. Not sure what your point is. I'm not saying people need to come up with all the answers themselves, just that they can find the "hidden facts" in readily available sources.
Mr Man

Post by Mr Man »

Justsit wrote:
Mr Man wrote:... all that other stuff that you wrote, someone taught you that.
Of course, I read and study a variety of sources. Not sure what your point is. I'm not saying people need to come up with all the answers themselves, just that they can find the "hidden facts" in readily available sources.

My point is that we are a part of society. Our responsibility goes beyond just ourselves. We are "Science and the government".
Justsit

Post by Justsit »

Mr Man wrote: We are "Science and the government".
How so?
Mr Man

Post by Mr Man »

Because we are not independant or separate. We are a part of society.
Assaji

Post by Assaji »

Justsit

Post by Justsit »

Mr Man wrote:Because we are not independant or separate. We are a part of society.
Agreed. But I'm not sure how your statement ties in to our discussion of the need for understanding how food is manipulated.
Could you explain further?
Mr Man

Post by Mr Man »

Justsit wrote:
Mr Man wrote:Because we are not independant or separate. We are a part of society.
Agreed. But I'm not sure how your statement ties in to our discussion of the need for understanding how food is manipulated.
Could you explain further?
I think I'm going to leave it. :anjali:
beeblebrox

Post by beeblebrox »

Justsit wrote:
What about sharing that kind of understanding with others (the ones who are not already in the choir)... or try to encourage others to have that understanding... or to frame the understanding in such a way which will make the manufacturers willing to develop foods that are healthy, but still appealing for their customers? All of these are beneficial actions.

They're better than just saying: "Many people don't care about this anyway... this has been my observation. I'm happy that this is not a problem for me, because I already did a lot of research and already know what is healthy for myself. Caveat Emptor."

If everyone had that kind of perspective, then the people who have no understanding will surely drag us down with them... as our options for the healthy food run out, for example. (Who would want to buy these seeds anyway... no one cares enough to grow their own garden, anymore. Let's stop manufacturing them!)

That is how the samsara works... kamma is everything. No one is an island.

:soap:

:anjali:
Justsit

Post by Justsit »

beeblebrox wrote:
Justsit wrote:
What about sharing that kind of understanding with others (the ones who are not already in the choir)... or try to encourage others to have that understanding... or to frame the understanding in such a way which will make the manufacturers willing to develop foods that are healthy, but still appealing for their customers? All of these are beneficial actions.

They're better than just saying: "Many people don't care about this anyway... this has been my observation. I'm happy that this is not a problem for me, because I already did a lot of research and already know what is healthy for myself. Caveat Emptor."

If everyone had that kind of perspective, then the people who have no understanding will surely drag us down with them... as our options for the healthy food run out, for example. (Who would want to buy these seeds anyway... no one cares enough to grow their own garden, anymore. Let's stop manufacturing them!)

That is how the samsara works... kamma is everything. No one is an island.

:soap:

:anjali:
I'm a nurse - sharing this information is what I do!

This is not a quote - I never said this, nor did I imply it: I'm happy that this is not a problem for me, because I already did a lot of research and already know what is healthy for myself.

Think I'm done here too.