Skilful dana offering

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
householder

Skilful dana offering

Post by householder »

Hi all,

In Ko Tao for 10 days to relax. First thing I did after checking in was scout out Wat Ko Tao. It's one of those 'functional' monasteries and is very small - 2 monks and an old abbot who is ill, confined to his kuti and uses a zimmer frame to move around. Is only a 5 minute walk from where I'm staying.

From my broken English/phrasebook Thai discussion with Luang Por (addressed him as that by default - is that appropriate?) dana for the 2 monks is half 7 a.m. and he eats at 8.

I chatted with a Thai street food vendor who pointed me in the direction of Wat Ko Tao in the first place and she does both regular sandwiches (aimed at the catering crowd) and most of the Thai staples.

I'd be grateful for suggestions on appropriate dana please, that is 'safe' - i.e. nothing that may aggravate health allergies or medical conditions I'm unaware of - thinking plain old pad thai with no meat or peanuts.

In terms of drinks, should I offer them each a 1 litre bottle of water, or a coffee, or both? Or a fresh fruit juice instead?

Suggestions appreciated - I'm going to go there for Songkhran as well. There's another place on the island but it's quite a trek from Mae Haad where I'm staying.

Metta,

householder
Cittasanto

Re: Skilful dana offering

Post by Cittasanto »

Luang por isn't wrong by the sounds of it, I believe it is over 75 they get called it, but I am not sure of propper Thai protocol here, but I also think it is for anyone who is of a certain age and a chao Kung, or preceptor??

but it is always better to be safe than sorry :D and being overly polite is better than being rude through caution in this case I think.

I am sure any Dana you give would be welcome, why not invite them to ask for something specific that they need?
just be careful with fruit juice and time it is offered, some may not accept it for the afternoon, and try to get it smooth if you want to offer it for the afternoon, but a local maybe able to help better for the needs of the monks than anyone here!

Have a nice time you lucky lucky b******, what I wouldn't give for the romans....
wait, watching to much monty python :P
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
householder

Re: Skilful dana offering

Post by householder »

No idea! The various LPs in England aren't near 75 though...
I am sure any Dana you give would be welcome, why not invite them to ask for something specific that they need?
I had some problems with this idea, having considered it:

1. I don''t know how to ask what they want.
2. I wouldn't understand their response and would likely offer soap where they needed toothpaste, or something.
3. I understand that non-food offerings involve a response/chant from the offeror after the monk has accepted the gift. Since I don't know what the chant is, and even if I did would probably mess it up, I figured a simple food offering would be ok.
a local maybe able to help better for the needs of the monks than anyone here!
This aspect had me most indecisive. In the end I offered pad thai with chicken to the two monks, with a cold can of iced coffee and a bottle of water each. A lay person turned up for dana too and I explained I'd not got anything for Luang Por as I wasn't sure what to get him or what he could/couldn't eat due to his medical condition. The lay person basically told me not to worry about it.

Spoke to LP last night (presumed they were Dhammayut as were wearing brown robes instead of Mahanikya fluro orange) and he knew of LP Sumedho et. al - he didn't know LP Sumedho had returned to Thailand.
Have a nice time you lucky lucky b******, what I wouldn't give for the romans....
wait, watching to much monty python
Ah classic comedy gold!

I'm in Phuket in April after a Sima consecration ceremony in Penang - I don't suppose you or anyone else knows what days Luang Por Supa (the 117-year old monk) opens his kuti? There I'll just offer flowers but the chance to even glimpse him will make me very happy!

There's also apparently a very good Wat in Koh Phangan which does retreats. So I may go there in May for a residential. Doubt there'll be any full moon partying types staying there!

Plus in Singapore I was able to sit in on two dhamma talks given by Saydaw U Pandita. I'd heard his recorded translated talks before and was fortunate enough to have a private meeting with last year, but seeing him in action - wow!