Neuro science replace meditation

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
confusedlayman

Re: Neuro science replace meditation

Post by confusedlayman »

befriend wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 10:09 pm
I didn't say it was designed to treat anger and rage i said it does treat anger and rage. Yes it is an anti psychotic. My point was from a Buddhist perspective with emphasis on the reduction of anger part. Because this question is about micro chips for enlightenment so I thought if you can reduce anger it's not a far cry for science to come up with something that could reduce other defilements.
it is conditioned dimension. u will be anger free dependent on chip which is temporary. when chip lose battery or malfunction u will be back to defilement mode. hence it is not enlightment. buddha dhamma means gradual yet permanent attainment in stages. it survives phisical death and carry on next life.
Find a tree and practice jhana or dont regret later- Buddha
Something exist, dont exist, both exist and non exist, neither exist nor dont exist .. all these four possibilities are wrong- Nagarjuna
Find a dhamma companion or roam alone like rhinoceros in the wild- Buddha
If you are not happy even after following 8NP then you are doing it wrong- CL (confused layman)

SteRo

Post by SteRo »

polaris wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 2:47 am
I was told by a good friend of mine that in near future you don't need to meditate any more because neuroscience could implant a chip in your brain that keep you calm and it gives the same equilibrium that you achieved after long training in meditation.
Could that be true I wonder?
Yes, why not? If it's only about calmness you might also take pills. Where it might become difficult is when it comes ot ignorance because there might be ignorant calmness or equilibrium and calmness or equilibrium lacking ignorance. Having a chip that counters ignorance would need perfect and detailed knowledge of ignorance and its conditionality and corresponding brain structures and functionalities.

confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

SteRo wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 11:10 am
polaris wrote:
I was told by a good friend of mine that in near future you don't need to meditate any more because neuroscience could implant a chip in your brain that keep you calm and it gives the same equilibrium that you achieved after long training in meditation.
Yes, why not? If it's only about calmness you might also take pills. Where it might become difficult is when it comes ot ignorance because there might be ignorant calmness or equilibrium and calmness or equilibrium lacking ignorance. Having a chip that counters ignorance would need perfect and detailed knowledge of ignorance and its conditionality and corresponding brain structures and functionalities.
Hi stereo, do you take the position that your are free from ignorance or still have ignorance?
Something exist, dont exist, both exist and non exist, neither exist nor dont exist .. all these four possibilities are wrong- Nagarjuna
If you are not happy even after following 8NP then you are doing it wrong- CL (confused layman)

SteRo

Post by SteRo »

confusedlayman wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 1:38 pm
SteRo wrote:
polaris wrote:
Hi stereo, do you take the position that your are free from ignorance or still have ignorance?
'Taking a position' should be avoided. And neither 'I am free from ignorance' nor 'I still have ignorance' does apply

confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

SteRo wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 4:15 pm
confusedlayman wrote:
SteRo wrote:

'Taking a position' should be avoided. And neither 'I am free from ignorance' nor 'I still have ignorance' does apply
wow stereo is wise but if u want to answer conventionally how do you answer?

SteRo

Post by SteRo »

confusedlayman wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 7:28 pm
SteRo wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 4:15 pm
confusedlayman wrote:

wow stereo is wise but if u want to answer conventionally how do you answer?
I would refer you to what I've already told you here: viewtopic.php?p=559760#p559760.

And I would refer you to what I've had already elaborated here: viewtopic.php?p=544804#p544804

But although we have covered the topic of 'not-self-awareness'/'signless awareness'/'perfect emptiness' already multiple times in this forum you still don't seem to understand that it is not about either "being free from ignorance" or "still having ignorance". The reason for this might be that you are harboring extreme views which are the source of conceit. Ignorance cannot be abandoned ignorantly. Why? Because then there would be ignorance. Ignorance is empty of ignorance, so what might be "free from ignorance" or "still have ignorance"?

Now I've answered conventionally and appropriately but honestly - considering the history of our conversations about this topic - I am not very optimistic that you will understand this time. Anyway it's been the best answer possible considering your non-understanding. But still it's only conventional, so beware of taking a position!

auto

Post by auto »

polaris wrote:
Good day members of this forum. I hesitate to speak my mind because I am afraid some one would think I am foolish. Yes, this feeling of inferiority is always with me since childhood. However my desire for knowledge overcome this feeling.
Could that be true I wonder? They have already achieved certain measure of success for spinal injuries they have gained the ability to use their legs and hands.
Any member in the medical profession on this forum? Or anyone reading a lot of British medical journal (The Lancet).
Looking forward to see if I am wrong or perhaps right.
will that chip help you to get better rebirth or end the rebirth?
Does the chip allows you to continue doing bad kamma and avoid destination to lower existences?

if you don't believe in the supramundane and kamma then you can't be having a right view(which eventually is crucial for right concentration/meditation). Also translate meditation into more asian word and then try English meaning again, you might have wrong idea why you do meditation and the goals wrong and doesn't take into account next lives.
-
chip also can be replaced with any supplement, will these aides help to avoid falling lower if the protective isolation of the sense organs will disappear? so the ordinary actions should be the aide and then go more subtle..so realize how gross material the chips are in relative to thinking and clinging and holding wrong views.
--
and chips is like 60's technology. Transistor were discovered by accident in the 40's.

polaris

Post by polaris »

auto wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 12:13 pm
polaris wrote:
Good day members of this forum. I hesitate to speak my mind because I am afraid some one would think I am foolish. Yes, this feeling of inferiority is always with me since childhood. However my desire for knowledge overcome this feeling.
Could that be true I wonder? They have already achieved certain measure of success for spinal injuries they have gained the ability to use their legs and hands.
Any member in the medical profession on this forum? Or anyone reading a lot of British medical journal (The Lancet).
Looking forward to see if I am wrong or perhaps right.
will that chip help you to get better rebirth or end the rebirth?
Does the chip allows you to continue doing bad kamma and avoid destination to lower existences?

if you don't believe in the supramundane and kamma then you can't be having a right view(which eventually is crucial for right concentration/meditation). Also translate meditation into more asian word and then try English meaning again, you might have wrong idea why you do meditation and the goals wrong and doesn't take into account next lives.
-
chip also can be replaced with any supplement, will these aides help to avoid falling lower if the protective isolation of the sense organs will disappear? so the ordinary actions should be the aide and then go more subtle..so realize how gross material the chips are in relative to thinking and clinging and holding wrong views.
--
and chips is like 60's technology. Transistor were discovered by accident in the 40's.
Yes you are right especially when you said the right view which is crucial for right concentration.
Cheers.