Does thought consume energy if yes how much?

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
Post Reply
polo
Posts: 248
Joined: Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:22 pm

Does thought consume energy if yes how much?

Post by polo »

Hello Theravadins, I like to call myself a Theravadin because I just love that word it gives me a comfortable feeling just like comfort foods that gluttons take delight in. That feeling which arises and falls away in my neurons.
Now let's get down to some serious thought and thinking. What is thinking? Well, thinking is the on going process of thought. Simple isn't it? it's just continuous thought process.
Thought is the product of thinking I reckon. My real question is does thought consume energy? Or is it the physiological part of the brain that process the thought consumes energy not the thought itself. I am always hungry because I think too much.(but I don't gain weight even if I eat a lot) Why do I think so much? I went to see an old Chinese lady soothsayer. She said there is a fire element in your star and this fire burn too vigorously so making you think too much. Dead people don't think because there is no fire in dead people. Average people have fire element in their body that produce thoughts. She said the fire element in my star is not normal so it fires up all kinds of imaginations and it's not really good for your mental health. However she said you cannot do much about it but to understand it does help to a certain extent.
Coming back to the consumption of energy, I read somewhere the brain consume tremendous amount of carbohydrates or sugar . Is that true?
Please fellow buddhists lets see what you are thinking.

User avatar
Sam Vara
Posts: 6819
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:42 pm
Location: Sussex, U.K.

Re: Does thought consume energy if yes how much?

Post by Sam Vara »

polo wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:18 pm

Now let's get down to some serious thought and thinking. What is thinking? Well, thinking is the on going process of thought. Simple isn't it? it's just continuous thought process.
Thought is the product of thinking I reckon. My real question is does thought consume energy?
I'm not sure of the physiological aspects, but in MN 19 The Buddha says this:
If I were to think & ponder in line with that even for a night... even for a day... even for a day & night, I do not envision any danger that would come from it, except that thinking & pondering a long time would tire the body. When the body is tired, the mind is disturbed; and a disturbed mind is far from concentration.

MettaDevPrac
Posts: 203
Joined: Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:44 am

Re: Does thought consume energy if yes how much?

Post by MettaDevPrac »

Some popular science answers say yes, a hard thinking brain consumes more nutrients than it does during more relaxed use. But there's scientific disagreement about the significance or amount of difference.

https://time.com/5400025/does-thinking-burn-calories/

https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... -calories/
- MettaDevPrac

User avatar
Bhikkhu Pesala
Posts: 4092
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:17 pm

Re: Does thought consume energy if yes how much?

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

The thinking mind can burn a thousand or a million whats, but the meditating mind can get by on just one what?

What is this mental or physical process arising at the moment.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)

SarathW
Posts: 14095
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:49 am

Re: Does thought consume energy if yes how much?

Post by SarathW »

Can we lose weight by thinking?
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”

User avatar
Sam Vara
Posts: 6819
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:42 pm
Location: Sussex, U.K.

Re: Does thought consume energy if yes how much?

Post by Sam Vara »

SarathW wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:27 am
Can we lose weight by thinking?
Definitely, if we think about moderation in food and abstaining from greed. If we think "What's in the fridge?", it's a lot harder.

User avatar
Aloka
Posts: 6747
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:51 pm

Re: Does thought consume energy if yes how much?

Post by Aloka »

Sam Vara wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:39 am
SarathW wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:27 am
Can we lose weight by thinking?
Definitely, if we think about moderation in food and abstaining from greed. If we think "What's in the fridge?", it's a lot harder.
- and even harder if we also think "What's on TV" with a can of Coke in one hand and a packet of chocolate biscuits or a bag of crisps in the other!


.

polo
Posts: 248
Joined: Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:22 pm

Re: Does thought consume energy if yes how much?

Post by polo »

SarathW wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:27 am
Can we lose weight by thinking?
Yes your comment is interesting because i have always thought you can control your weight by thinking. what i mean is not the simple "Think yourself thin" no, no way, such simple thought will make you lose weight.
You lose weight by thinking can only be achieved by a constant right thinking in the right ways. I can only give example from my own experience from childhood. I was told from childhood not to eat too much butter, sweet stuffs and over eat anything at all. I was reminded from time to time not to indulge in food. So my thought changed and when I see things like chocolate, pastries, nice cakes etc., I was able to control myself. The thought that these foods will make me fat and unhealthy is constantly on my mind so I don't normally eat a lot of them. At times yes I eat a bit too much but I was aware of it and it didn't happen so often simply because I was aware of it.
There were times when I ate lot I started to think that this will make me fat so I stopped. My thinking on being on the slim side is almost constantly beside me so I don't stray far from it.
However my thinking on being on the slim side is not the unwholesome thinking, it is a wholesome attitude. It's to prevent getting sick and unhealthy rather than being slim and beautiful. Being healthy and having normal body weight is based on this healthy attitude. To prevent sickness and suffering.

SarathW
Posts: 14095
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:49 am

Re: Does thought consume energy if yes how much?

Post by SarathW »

than being slim and beautiful
Good posting.
But it is nothing wrong being beautiful for a lay person.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”

chownah
Posts: 8856
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:19 pm

Re: Does thought consume energy if yes how much?

Post by chownah »

Functional magnetic resonance imaging
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Functiona ... c_response
This wikipedia article is about fmri which is used to measure activity levels of different brain regions and how this can vary depending on what mental process is active.....it does this by detecting a signal associated with the energy use of a brain region being studied. I think it probaby shows how much energy is used in different kinds of thinking etc.
chownah

polo
Posts: 248
Joined: Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:22 pm

Re: Does thought consume energy if yes how much?

Post by polo »

SarathW wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:00 pm
than being slim and beautiful
Good posting.
But it is nothing wrong being beautiful for a lay person.
It is not a question of "nothing wrong being beautiful for a lay person", if you are not mentally prepared in other words not following the teaching of Buddha closely you will suffer when you grow old. Just imagine 40 or 45 years down the road you look into the mirror all you see are the lines on your face, the haggard look, the skin sags.
But if you are mentally prepared and also you are very much aware that this beauty is not permanent you will one day grow and look ugly then you will suffer less. You anticipate and totally accept the law of nature.
You should be mentally prepared for more suffering because when you grow old all kind of illness will come to you. Your prostate will swell and you have pain passing urine. You feel giddy when you suddenly stand up. Your sleep is not regular and you are tired during the day.
You will feel lonely and miserable. These are all that await you years down the road.
Are you looking forward to do rope skipping with your grand daughter or cycle for 50 kilometers in the countryside with your grand children? If you are healthy yes you could do that.

SarathW
Posts: 14095
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:49 am

Re: Does thought consume energy if yes how much?

Post by SarathW »

Just imagine 40 or 45 years down the road you look into the mirror all you see are the lines on your face, the haggard look, the skin sags.
I see your point but with the new technology, you can have a facelift done.
What Buddha taught was deeper than seen the impermanence in your outer body,
You have to see the suffering, and not-self in a more deeper level (Anusaya)
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”

Post Reply