Quitting Coffee - my experience

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
Manopubbangama

Re: Quitting Coffee - my experience

Post by Manopubbangama »

Real hardcore tea drinkers would not shy away from such high-value amenities as panda tea or kopi kuwak.

In this sense, I remain, outside of said inner circle of tea-oneness-aspirants.

I will leave this practice to orgasmic buddhism.
sentinel

Post by sentinel »

Provided you don't think it is wasting money , overall drinking tea it's good for health .

For Chinese tea , If you prefer green tea ,
try 单苁(dan cong) . I also recommend
碧螺春(bi luo chun) . Green tea does not goes through fermentation . But if you have weak stomach , Puuer is suitable .
红(Hong)茶also good for stomach, heart and cancer prevention .
For Oolong tea I suggest
黄金桂(huang jin gui) and 大红袍(da hong pao) .
You always gain by giving
Anukampati

Post by Anukampati »

James Tan wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:26 am For Chinese tea , If you prefer green tea ,
try 单苁(dan cong) .
When I search on dan cong, I consistently see it described as an oolong:

http://teapedia.org/en/Dan_Cong

Do you think of at least some teas of this type as falling within the realm of green tea (i.e. minimal oxidation)? Or are you seeing it rather as an alternative to green tea?
pilgrim

Post by pilgrim »

Coffee is also good for health..Rich in anti oxidants, it reduces risk of liver cancer and possibly also dementia and diabetes.
Everything in moderation.
Benjamin

Post by Benjamin »

pilgrim wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:33 am Coffee is also good for health..Rich in anti oxidants, it reduces risk of liver cancer and possibly also dementia and diabetes.
If you can get coffee that was recently roasted and not too dark of a roast, then I think it's quite healthy. Grinding it yourself is also a must. Look at a dark roast bean and you'll see the oils leaking out of the seed itself, which go rancid quite quickly. The argument for coffee causing cancer comes from Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbons (PAHs) which are going to be most prevalent in this form of overly roasted and stale coffee.

I love a good lighter roast coffee. It can be perfect for a long morning of meditation and I don't feel any addictive "pull" from my body to need it on a daily basis.
:candle: :buddha1: :candle:
pilgrim

Post by pilgrim »

Chan (Zen ) monks in China and Japan used tea to keep themselves alert for meditation. There is even a Zen story of how tea grew from the eyelids of Bodhidharma after he cut them off and threw them on the ground as he fell asleep during meditation. Although the use revolved around tea, the principle is the same as the active ingredient in tea is caffeine.
sentinel

Post by sentinel »

Frank23 wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:41 pm
James Tan wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:26 am For Chinese tea , If you prefer green tea ,
try 单苁(dan cong) .
When I search on dan cong, I consistently see it described as an oolong:

http://teapedia.org/en/Dan_Cong

Do you think of at least some teas of this type as falling within the realm of green tea (i.e. minimal oxidation)? Or are you seeing it rather as an alternative to green tea?
Hi Frank , my apologies .

青 qing actually is cyan color .
Dan Cong is 青茶 qing cha .

You are right , 单苁 dan cong in chinese is 青茶 qing cha which is categorized under Oolong tea .

Dan Cong is a kind of half fermented tea in between unfermented green tea and fermented 红茶 Hong tea or black tea . Dan Cong has green tea freshness aroma and Hong tea rich flavor . Dan Cong combining the tea aroma ,flower aroma , honey aroma and also the fruit aroma into one .
Manopubbangama

Post by Manopubbangama »

Quick update guys - at this time I continue to have zero craving for coffee.

This is much easier to do than quiting tobacco.

Quitting tobacco is a real struggle. I'd love a hand rolled cigarette even now! Coffee? Not as hard.

The fact that I have more energy now is not meant to be a claim that you will definitely have more, but its interesting that this is cited very, very often as a result.

Eating Fetta cheese now and drinking tea.

With Fetta-Metta :heart:
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

DooDoot wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:26 pmWell done ManoPG. I have never sought & drunk a cup of coffee in my entire life.
Never smoked a cigarette in my entire life, either. Now I am getting old, have had certain medical tests over the last two years, which said I should take care about cholesterol (therefore, I also cut cheese out of the diet & did my best to research which foods will cause the least problems during aging). My diet changes & results were listed here (below). Recent tests show reduction down by another 7% and all within desired scale.
Results since starting 3 months ago:

1. Lost 5 kg very quickly but have plateaued now (since I haven't weighted this much since I was 16 years old).

2. Total cholesterol up by 3.6% (5.4% above desired scale).

3. Triglycerides (evil) down by 58% (at lower range of desired scale).

4. HDL (good) cholesterol up by 25% (in middle of desired scale).

5. LDL (bad) cholesterol up by 13% (0.8% above desired scale).

6. Total cholesterol to HDL ratio down 18% (most important & good result).
When i lived in Bhikkhu Buddhadasa's monastery, we recited this everyday (from the suttas):
With wise reflection I eat this food
Not for play; not for intoxication
Not for fattening, not for beautification
Only to maintain this body
To stay alive and healthy
To support the spiritual way of life
Thus I let go of unpleasant feelings
And do not stir up new ones
Thereby the process of life goes on
Blameless, at ease, and in peace

Food Reflection
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

pilgrim wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:33 am Coffee is also good for health..Rich in anti oxidants, it reduces risk of liver cancer and possibly also dementia and diabetes.
Yes, this appears to be correct.
Moderate coffee consumption is not a risk factor for coronary heart disease.[144] A 2012 meta-analysis concluded that people who drank moderate amounts of coffee had a lower rate of heart failure, with the biggest effect found for those who drank more than four cups a day.[145] A 2014 meta-analysis concluded that cardiovascular disease, such as coronary artery disease and stroke, is less likely with three to five cups of non-decaffeinated coffee per day, but more likely with over five cups per day.[146] A 2016 meta-analysis showed that coffee consumption was associated with a reduced risk of death in patients who have had a myocardial infarction.[147]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coffee#Health_effects
Note especially the sentence, "A 2014 meta-analysis concluded that cardiovascular disease, such as coronary artery disease and stroke, is less likely with three to five cups of non-decaffeinated coffee per day, but more likely with over five cups per day.

So therefore, 0 to 2 cups = no good; increased risk of heart disease and stroke
6 + cups = no good; increased risk . . .
3 to 5 cups = good; least risk of heart disease and stroke.

middle way :coffee:

see also: viewtopic.php?t=27229&start=40#p423287
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

DNS wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:59 amcardiovascular disease
David. I started buying 1 block of 90% cocoa dark chocolate per week. Is this the same effect has coffee? Thanks
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

DooDoot wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:25 am
David. I started buying 1 block of 90% cocoa dark chocolate per week. Is this the same effect has coffee? Thanks
Not sure, but probably so, as chocolate contains some trace amounts of caffeine and some studies have shown dark chocolate is good for the heart too.
Manopubbangama

Post by Manopubbangama »

DNS wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:32 am
Not sure, but probably so, as chocolate contains some trace amounts of caffeine and some studies have shown dark chocolate is good for the heart too.
I agree that coffee can be good for health.

I'm just saying that for me it appeared to be increasing the amount of urination that seemed to drain me of fluids and dehydrate me.

I'm not a green-tea-holy-roller but I found that for me it works better to keep me active and alert throughout the day.

Would you agree that green tea also is rich in antioxidents and could be a good substitute, though?
sentinel

Post by sentinel »

Too much of chocolate would affect your intestines .
Idappaccayata

Post by Idappaccayata »

Manopubbangama wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:44 am
DNS wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:32 am

Would you agree that green tea also is rich in antioxidents and could be a good substitute, though?
Green tea is high in antioxidants as well, and has been shown to be good for health. Matcha tea is supposedly much healthier than green as well. It's quite expensive and takes some getting used to though.
A dying man can only rely upon his wisdom, if he developed it. Wisdom is not dependent upon any phenomenon originated upon six senses. It is developed on the basis of the discernment of the same. That’s why when one’s senses start to wither and die, the knowledge of their nature remains unaffected. When there is no wisdom, there will be despair, in the face of death.

- Ajahn Nyanamoli Thero