The benefits of silence

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
Saengnapha

Re: The benefits of silence

Post by Saengnapha » Wed May 30, 2018 4:51 am

seeker242 wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 7:23 pm
Saengnapha wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 3:09 pm
seeker242 wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 10:58 am

Not one does not lead to another per say. However, one does prevent the other. If you never stop your mouth, then you'll never stop your mind. :meditate:
the mouth is a reflection of your mind, I believe. Your mouth cannot operate independent of thinking, but thinking can operate independent of your mouth (physical). Just have a look to see if it is true.
Exactly! Which is why if you don't stop your mouth, you'll never stop your mind. :smile:
I don't think it works this way. You'll never stop your mind trying to stop your mouth. It is illogical.

seeker242

Post by seeker242 » Wed May 30, 2018 11:29 am

Saengnapha wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 4:51 am
I don't think it works this way. You'll never stop your mind trying to stop your mouth. It is illogical.
You are characterizing it backwards. Try this experiment. Silence your mind, with your mouth simultaneously rambling. It will be impossible! Talking is essentially really loud thinking. If you want your mind to be silent, you need to stop all thinking, including the really loud thinking. Stopping the really loud thinking is easy, you just don't open your mouth. No one is saying not opening your mouth will stop all thinking.

Dinsdale

Post by Dinsdale » Thu May 31, 2018 1:10 pm

Saengnapha wrote:
Have you ever been on a silent retreat? Or a solitary retreat?
Buddha save me from new-agers!

Saengnapha

Post by Saengnapha » Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:32 am

Dinsdale wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 1:10 pm
Saengnapha wrote:
I've never felt the need to do this purposefully. I have spent days in silence, alone.

Sam Vara

Post by Sam Vara » Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:17 am

Further to this point, I've just read this in Gifts he Left Behind, a compilation of the sayings of Luang Pu Dune.

A group of monks came to Luang Pu after maintaining strict silence (apart from Patimokkha and other chanting) throughout the whole rains retreat. He said to them:
That's pretty good. When there's no speaking, then no faults are committed by way of speech. But when you say that you stopped speaking, that simply can't be. Only the noble ones who enter the refined attainment of cessation, where feeling and perception stop, are able to stop speaking. Aside from them, everyone's speaking all day and all night long. And especially those who vow not to speak: They talk more than anyone else, simply that they don't make a sound that others can hear.

Dinsdale

Post by Dinsdale » Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:18 am

Saengnapha wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:32 am
Dinsdale wrote:
Saengnapha wrote:
I've never felt the need to do this purposefully. I have spent days in silence, alone.
And have you felt any benefit from periods of silence and solitude?

Saengnapha

Post by Saengnapha » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:31 am

Dinsdale wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:18 am
Saengnapha wrote:
Dinsdale wrote:

None. Some use it as a tactic for altering their state, but this is a very superficial attempt that doesn't approach insight. Not talking is not a necessary factor for anything, imo.

EternalHindu

Post by EternalHindu » Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:13 pm

Hii,
The Benefit Of Silence
Improves Memory
Stimulates Brain Growth
Relieves Stress
Fights Insomnia
Heightens Sensitivity

Dinsdale

Post by Dinsdale » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:33 pm

Saengnapha wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:31 am
Dinsdale wrote:
Saengnapha wrote:

None. Some use it as a tactic for altering their state, but this is a very superficial attempt that doesn't approach insight. Not talking is not a necessary factor for anything, imo.
Your experience is very different to mine. I've found for example that extended periods of silence on retreats make one more deeply aware of other people, you realise that talking represents a very superficial layer of communication. And not talking definitely has a calming effect on the mind, it leads to less thinking.

Saengnapha

Post by Saengnapha » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:46 pm

Dinsdale wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:33 pm
Saengnapha wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:31 am
Dinsdale wrote:

Your experience is very different to mine. I've found for example that extended periods of silence on retreats make one more deeply aware of other people, you realise that talking represents a very superficial layer of communication. And not talking definitely has a calming effect on the mind, it leads to less thinking.
Yes, it does, but I'm not looking to calm my mind or become more deeply aware of other people. These are only temporary effects.