How much happy are you?

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.

How much happy are you?

10%
0
No votes
20%
0
No votes
30%
1
4%
40%
5
21%
50%
4
17%
60%
3
13%
70%
1
4%
80%
5
21%
90%
3
13%
100%
2
8%
 
Total votes: 24

SarathW
Posts: 8286
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:49 am

How much happy are you?

Post by SarathW » Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:56 am

I just like to have a poll on this.
If you do not know the answer just think the question they ask in the hospitals to express your pain from one to ten.
If you wish you can give the reasons for your unhappiness.
Others can help by giving ways to increase your happiness.
The objective of this exercise is not to compare your happiness with others.
Just to learn that suffering as universal.
According to Buddha's teaching, you will be 100% happy only if you become an Arahant.
Please use the following Sutta as a guide for your score.

https://suttacentral.net/en/mn59
Last edited by SarathW on Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:00 am, edited 3 times in total.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”

SarathW
Posts: 8286
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:49 am

Re: How much happy are you?

Post by SarathW » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:17 am

I have this un necessary unhappiness even though I have enough reason to be happy with my family, my job and my health.
I am unhappy as I do not seem to get anywhere with my practice even though it help me greatly.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”

SarathW
Posts: 8286
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:49 am

Re: How much happy are you?

Post by SarathW » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:19 am

Please do not hesitate to change your vote.
Your mental states keep on changing in a given moment.
Be mindful of it.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”

Garrib
Posts: 346
Joined: Mon May 30, 2016 8:35 pm

Re: How much happy are you?

Post by Garrib » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:24 am

I feel happy while meditating (sometimes), when I'm by myself, and to some extent in relation to other beings (for example, while giving something with joy)...I can also feel momentary happiness from sense pleasure and say, getting paid or something, and I feel happy when reflecting on the Buddha, Dhamma, and Sangha - but I also experience a great deal of unhappiness, from remorse, disappointments, unpleasant interactions with people, and like you say, not feeling like I'm getting anywhere (realizing that I am not enlightened yet).

mal4mac
Posts: 370
Joined: Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:47 pm

Re: How much happy are you?

Post by mal4mac » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:46 pm

Garrib wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:24 am
... but I also experience a great deal of unhappiness, from remorse, disappointments, unpleasant interactions with people, and like you say, not feeling like I'm getting anywhere (realizing that I am not enlightened yet).
Is anyone enlightened? There's great doubt that even the most advanced meditating monk in the East is enlightened. It's a bit like studying physics and saying, "I'm not getting anywhere because I'm not as great as Einstein, I haven't come up with a theory of quantum gravity that everyone accepts and is experimentally proven." Or a novelist who says, "I haven't come up with a novel that everyone admires as much as Tolstoy's... I'm not getting anywhere."

Maybe you need to lower your sights (and remember you will be reborn many times, so on your billionth rebirth you might be reborn as a Buddhist Einstein... and become enlightened... and walking the path right now might make that come sooner... millionth rebirth maybe...)

Maybe you should redefine "getting somewhere" as "trying your best to meditate", however bad your best is, or "reading a sutta with some understanding" rather than "being enlightened".
- Mal

Saengnapha
Posts: 339
Joined: Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:17 am

Re: How much happy are you?

Post by Saengnapha » Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:20 pm

SarathW wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:17 am
I have this un necessary unhappiness even though I have enough reason to be happy with my family, my job and my health.
I am unhappy as I do not seem to get anywhere with my practice even though it help me greatly.
What do you mean by 'getting anywhere' with your practice?

Saengnapha
Posts: 339
Joined: Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:17 am

Re: How much happy are you?

Post by Saengnapha » Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:36 pm

mal4mac wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:46 pm
Garrib wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:24 am
... but I also experience a great deal of unhappiness, from remorse, disappointments, unpleasant interactions with people, and like you say, not feeling like I'm getting anywhere (realizing that I am not enlightened yet).
Is anyone enlightened? There's great doubt that even the most advanced meditating monk in the East is enlightened. It's a bit like studying physics and saying, "I'm not getting anywhere because I'm not as great as Einstein, I haven't come up with a theory of quantum gravity that everyone accepts and is experimentally proven." Or a novelist who says, "I haven't come up with a novel that everyone admires as much as Tolstoy's... I'm not getting anywhere."

Maybe you need to lower your sights (and remember you will be reborn many times, so on your billionth rebirth you might be reborn as a Buddhist Einstein... and become enlightened... and walking the path right now might make that come sooner... millionth rebirth maybe...)

Maybe you should redefine "getting somewhere" as "trying your best to meditate", however bad your best is, or "reading a sutta with some understanding" rather than "being enlightened".
For me, asking if anyone is enlightened and being interested in the Buddha's teaching seems very odd. I would assume that the reason you or anyone else is interested in the Buddha's teaching is because we feel he was enlightened. It's a given. Doubt, insecurity, and confusion, are all emotional reactions we have to our life and how we live it. If we didn't feel these things, we wouldn't be interested in these teaching which concern suffering. The first thing we have to do is change how we habitually react to life and this is done through the 8 fold path, beginning with Sila. Without this 'purification', there is little to no chance of developing dispassion and insight that lead to release. Why? Because we will continuously be drawn back into our habitual reactions to circumstances and never calm this to be able to relax and proceed into a much deeper exploration of experience.

User avatar
Pseudobabble
Posts: 297
Joined: Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:11 am
Location: London

Re: How much happy are you?

Post by Pseudobabble » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:40 pm

mal4mac wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:46 pm
Maybe you need to lower your sights
Don't take this the wrong way mal4mac, but don't do this. Why shoot lower? You'll never know if you might have made it. If I have to wait 'many lives' then so be it, but f*** that as a strategy.

EDIT:
mal4mac wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:46 pm
Maybe you should redefine "getting somewhere" as "trying your best to meditate", however bad your best is, or "reading a sutta with some understanding" rather than "being enlightened".
Yes to this though - I was too hasty.
"Does Master Gotama have any position at all?"

"A 'position,' Vaccha, is something that a Tathagata has done away with. What a Tathagata sees is this: 'Such is form, such its origination, such its disappearance; such is feeling, such its origination, such its disappearance; such is perception...such are fabrications...such is consciousness, such its origination, such its disappearance.'" - Aggi-Vacchagotta Sutta


'Dust thou art, and unto dust thou shalt return.' - Genesis 3:19

SarathW
Posts: 8286
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:49 am

Re: How much happy are you?

Post by SarathW » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:41 pm

Saengnapha wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:20 pm
SarathW wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:17 am
I have this un necessary unhappiness even though I have enough reason to be happy with my family, my job and my health.
I am unhappy as I do not seem to get anywhere with my practice even though it help me greatly.
What do you mean by 'getting anywhere' with your practice?
Not being able to move any further than observing Sila.
Perhaps, even my Sila is not perfect enough.
There is a limit you can push as a layperson.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”

User avatar
retrofuturist
Site Admin
Posts: 18604
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:52 pm
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Re: How much happy are you?

Post by retrofuturist » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:52 pm

Greetings,

No real problems here other than being a bit tired of "the daily grind". Thankfully, I've got a bit over a couple of weeks' break coming up over Christmas... just what the doctor ordered.

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead" - Thomas Paine

SarathW
Posts: 8286
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:49 am

Re: How much happy are you?

Post by SarathW » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:01 pm

retrofuturist wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:52 pm
Greetings,

No real problems here other than being a bit tired of "the daily grind". Thankfully, I've got a bit over a couple of weeks' break coming up over Christmas... just what the doctor ordered.

Metta,
Paul. :)
This is a good point Retro.
The problem sometimes is that we do not understand our real mental and physical state.
I think happiness and unhappiness is a very broad measurement.
Perhaps we should investigate the underline problems.
As you said I also feel very tired lately and it appears I translate it as unhappiness.
:D
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”

User avatar
ryanM
Posts: 330
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:13 pm

Re: How much happy are you?

Post by ryanM » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:39 pm

I'm 68% Oxygen, 18.5% Carbon, 9.5% Hydrogen, 3.2% Nitrogen, 1.5% Calcium, 1.0% Phosphorus, 0.4% Potassium, 0.3% Sulfur, 0.2% Sodium, 0.2% Chlorine, 0.1% Magnesium, less than 1.0% trace elements. Maybe happiness is masquerading as a trace element.
sabbe dhammā nālaṃ abhinivesāya

"nothing whatsoever should be clung to"

User avatar
DNS
Site Admin
Posts: 10947
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:15 am
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
Contact:

Re: How much happy are you?

Post by DNS » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:04 pm

I like the idea of a 'bucket-list' having a list of things you've done or would like to do before you kick-the-bucket. I wrote mine up several years ago and realized I have already done the things on the list. I didn't realize it until much later, that this is known as "reverse-bucket-list" where you list things you've done and get content with life.

It's important to put realistic things, nothing like "being Governor of California" or other lofty goal not likely reachable. For example, one of my items which was important for me was Buddhist pilgrimage to India and Nepal, which I did back in 2006.

Garrib
Posts: 346
Joined: Mon May 30, 2016 8:35 pm

Re: How much happy are you?

Post by Garrib » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:58 pm

mal4mac wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:46 pm
Garrib wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:24 am
... but I also experience a great deal of unhappiness, from remorse, disappointments, unpleasant interactions with people, and like you say, not feeling like I'm getting anywhere (realizing that I am not enlightened yet).
Is anyone enlightened? There's great doubt that even the most advanced meditating monk in the East is enlightened. It's a bit like studying physics and saying, "I'm not getting anywhere because I'm not as great as Einstein, I haven't come up with a theory of quantum gravity that everyone accepts and is experimentally proven." Or a novelist who says, "I haven't come up with a novel that everyone admires as much as Tolstoy's... I'm not getting anywhere."

Maybe you need to lower your sights (and remember you will be reborn many times, so on your billionth rebirth you might be reborn as a Buddhist Einstein... and become enlightened... and walking the path right now might make that come sooner... millionth rebirth maybe...)

Maybe you should redefine "getting somewhere" as "trying your best to meditate", however bad your best is, or "reading a sutta with some understanding" rather than "being enlightened".
I'm seriously trying to avoid being reborn a billion times! I understand where you are coming from, and appreciate the response, but I would very much like to attain to Nibbana ASAP!

SarathW
Posts: 8286
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:49 am

Re: How much happy are you?

Post by SarathW » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:30 am

DNS wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:04 pm
I like the idea of a 'bucket-list' having a list of things you've done or would like to do before you kick-the-bucket. I wrote mine up several years ago and realized I have already done the things on the list. I didn't realize it until much later, that this is known as "reverse-bucket-list" where you list things you've done and get content with life.

It's important to put realistic things, nothing like "being Governor of California" or other lofty goal not likely reachable. For example, one of my items which was important for me was Buddhist pilgrimage to India and Nepal, which I did back in 2006.
I am not sure whether "bucket-list" or "the reverse-bucket list" going to work.
I have achieved impossible material things (as far as I am concern) in my life.
Perhaps I have achieved a higher level of spiritual attainments (compare to many people) too.
But I still feel some thing unsatisfactory of this life.
When I stay at home I want to go to work.
When I go to work I want to stay at home!
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”

Saengnapha
Posts: 339
Joined: Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:17 am

Re: How much happy are you?

Post by Saengnapha » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:18 am

SarathW wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:41 pm
Saengnapha wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:20 pm
SarathW wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:17 am
I have this un necessary unhappiness even though I have enough reason to be happy with my family, my job and my health.
I am unhappy as I do not seem to get anywhere with my practice even though it help me greatly.
What do you mean by 'getting anywhere' with your practice?
Not being able to move any further than observing Sila.
Perhaps, even my Sila is not perfect enough.
There is a limit you can push as a layperson.
I will try to put it another way. Sila is not necessarily something you observe, it is something you do. These are actions you take that go against the 'I' maker, the habitual activity of anger, hate, craving, etc. You orient yourself differently in your everyday life. Instead of mulling over your state, you act in accordance with the Dhamma and it dissipates these habits, these emotional reactions to experience. You don't move past Sila. It becomes the way for you. It helps calm the emotions so clarity can be present. Being present, I don't have a better word, there is no where to go. This is a deep relaxation that allows dispassion to function. Without dispassion, there cannot be any equanimity. It is the same whether you are a monk or a lay person. It is not 'your' sila. Ownership is not anatta, impersonal. All this subjectivity is about ownership. Don't fight it. Turn away from it. There is a difference.

User avatar
DNS
Site Admin
Posts: 10947
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:15 am
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
Contact:

Re: How much happy are you?

Post by DNS » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:22 am

SarathW wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:30 am
I have achieved impossible material things (as far as I am concern) in my life.
Perhaps I have achieved a higher level of spiritual attainments (compare to many people) too.
But I still feel some thing unsatisfactory of this life.
When I stay at home I want to go to work.
When I go to work I want to stay at home!
Then perhaps you could make that a bucket-list item for you; to be content with the achievements you already have and attainments you already have.

Perhaps you are trying to string together certain pleasant experiences in a way to always face pleasant things. Once you realize how futile that is, you won't keep chasing them.

Maybe the grass is greener on the other side, but once you get there, you realize the grass is artificial (a Vegas joke).

SarathW
Posts: 8286
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:49 am

Re: How much happy are you?

Post by SarathW » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:31 am

Some times your achievements are your new problem.
:D
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”

Garrib
Posts: 346
Joined: Mon May 30, 2016 8:35 pm

Re: How much happy are you?

Post by Garrib » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:00 am

DNS wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:04 pm
For example, one of my items which was important for me was Buddhist pilgrimage to India and Nepal, which I did back in 2006.
This is on my list too (though not the reverse bucket list as I haven't done it yet!) - ideally, I'd like to take some family members with me.

paul
Posts: 818
Joined: Tue May 31, 2011 11:27 pm
Location: Vietnam

Re: How much happy are you?

Post by paul » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:34 pm

Happiness in the sense of demeanour can be detrimental to insight, it is linked to the 'equanimity of unknowing' of the ordinary run-of-the-mill person. The response to most situations (which invariably involve defilements), requires a serious attitude. The Buddha regularly spoke of heedfulness as the required demeanour ( SN 3:17, Dhammapada chap. 2, Buddha's final instructions DN 16). In this sense in every event there is the opportunity to take a step towards either ignorance or wisdom. These decisions are what cumulatively contribute to a successful practice. Knowing and experiencing this, one tries to act skilfully in every situation.

"There is the case where an uninstructed, run-of-the-mill person — who has no regard for noble ones, is not well-versed or disciplined in their Dhamma; who has no regard for men of integrity, is not well-versed or disciplined in their Dhamma — does not discern what ideas are fit for attention or what ideas are unfit for attention. This being so, he does not attend to ideas fit for attention and attends [instead] to ideas unfit for attention."---MN 2

"The mode of thinking based on openness rejects duality as a product of discrimination and deluded concepts. It tacitly presupposes that existence as such is ultimately benign; that beyond our deluded concepts, the rich and vivid diversity of forms has a single taste, a taste that is sweet. In contrast, the attitude of heedfulness is grounded upon the view that existence is textured through and through by dualities that are profound and inescapably real. The world bears testimony to this vision in the contrast between the charming, delightful surfaces of things and their underlying hollowness and inadequacy; our minds bear testimony in the ongoing contest between the wholesome mental factors and the unwholesome ones, between the upward urge for purification and the downward pull of the defilements. That this duality is not trivial is seen by the consequences: the one leads to Nibbana, the state of deliverance, the Deathless, while the other leads back into the round of repeated birth, samsara, which is also the realm of Mara, the Lord of Death."---"A Note on Openness", Bikkhu Bodhi.

Duality in nature:
"When a snake's tongue flicks out, the two tines of the fork spread as wide as they can. ... Like your two ears help you identify which direction a sound comes from, the two tines of a snake's tongue tell the snake whether its prey ran left or right."

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests